Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Meteor store haven't heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

peejay1986 wrote: »
    With Motorola saying Ireland is to be Wave 1 (today), surely they're saying that in the knowledge that somewhere will be stocking them?

Someone also asked the official Motorola facebook and twitter page about Irish availability and were told to stay tuned. Twitter is full of people asking, and as already mentioned the companies above have all come back with a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

As Motorola dont really have a presence here it will be hard for anyone to know about this phone. (That's where we come in! Pimp it up!) I hope that changes soon as we need phones like this to push sammy and the rest into making higher end phones capable of running 4.4 without being shafted in the wallet department. Every other phone at this price point is shockingly bad....

I'm so recommending this to people, thinking of getting one just to review! And as a backup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The other half is looking to get a white faced version. Anyone got a link for one on Amazon? Can only see links for the Black version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The other half is looking to get a white faced version. Anyone got a link for one on Amazon? Can only see links for the Black version.

There is no white faced version? I haven't heard any mention of one anyway, or pictures. They have changeable back covers allright but as far as I know the black front is on all models.

• Advertisement

There is no white faced version? I haven't heard any mention of one anyway, or pictures. They have changeable back covers allright but as far as I know the black front is on all models.

Just going on this really. But I'm assuming @evleaks was wrong and that's the Moto X?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/10445846/Motorolas-Moto-G-set-for-launch.html

Just going on this really. But I'm assuming @evleaks was wrong and that's the Moto X?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/mobile-phones/10445846/Motorolas-Moto-G-set-for-launch.html

Oh that actually looks pretty good. Does look to be an American model judging by the carrier branding on the back of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Conchúr

Hey folks,
    Anyone heard of the Dual-Sim version being launched in Ireland/Europe/anywhere other than India? Would be dead handy to have a UK/Irish sim combination...

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Please note: this handset comes with a USB cable but not an AC adapter

Is that strange?

Also delivery not until the 3rd of December!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Have read a few reviews but no mention of the speaker quality. Might be because it was too noisy as all the reviews seem to be hands on at the launch event.

Only seems to be the black case available on Amazon or P4U.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Afaik, phones4u have the Moto G at the moment. £129 for the 8GB and £159 for the 16GB. Great prices and the Moto G case is with the device I believe which look very nice too.
    I'm very certain we will see the Moto G sold here in store before Christmas. But I think it will be more expensive by about €50 I'm guessing compared to the UK. Interesting device. This will sell I'd say. There's the really new, but low end smartphones with old parts at cheap prices. And there is the very high end, very expensive smartphones. This will fill the market gap. I liked in the Motorola g live stream they compared this to the iPhone 5S, "better resolution at less than a third of the price" aswell as you could buy three moto G smartphones and have change left or buy one 5S and no change. Lol

Only seems to be the black case available on Amazon or P4U.

I would guess that could be the standard colour and you have to pay for the other removable backs. I'm not at all certain but it could be a sneaky way for Motorola to make an extra tenor or so. If you look at phones4u they say it includes a white case which leads me to believe that you have to buy the black and a case if you want a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

How would this phone compare to a Nexus 4?

Andrew 83 wrote: »

Here's a side to side.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5048&idPhone2=5831

The Nexus 4 is probably still a better spec'd phone but it's not by much. Plus the Moto G has a higher density screen, the newer version of Gorilla Glass and (judging on battery size/screen size/specs ratio) possibly better battery life.

Andrew 83 wrote: »

You can compare them here; http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5048&idPhone2=5831

It compares pretty well for the price, but if you could get a Nexus 4 for the same money I'd probably go for that.

Edit: Too slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Looks like a great value phone.

Is this or will this be 4G compatible?

Ben

No, its 3G only. Little point in having 4G/LTE in the markets this is likely to be popular in. Even those in developed markets who have 4G plans are highly unlikely to use this phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Anyone know/estimate when these will ship from amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Stacks up nicely VS the Nexus 4 alright! Even has an FM radio :D

Phones4u have a shipping date of 11/12/2013. I would assume Amazons date is something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Two quick questions;

Would this be a step up in performance over the iphone 4? The lag with ios7 is killing me.

Does this take the same size SIM card as the iphone 4? I can't find details on that anywhere.

samsamson wrote: »
    Two quick questions;

Would this be a step up in performance over the iphone 4? The lag with ios7 is killing me.

Does this take the same size SIM card as the iphone 4? I can't find details on that anywhere.

I would be very surprised if it wasn't far better performance. The Camera might not be as good, hard to know yet.

Yes, micro sim card in both.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd really consider this if there was a 32GB model (or SD slot). Apart from the limited storage it looks excellent.

Advertisement