Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardinal Sean Brady aware of abuse in 1975

• 01-12-2011 11:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

A VICTIM of paedophile priest Fr Brendan Smyth told yesterday how he was "plagued" with guilt that more children were abused by the notorious cleric after he was sworn to secrecy during a church inquiry.

Brendan Boland (50) yesterday settled a High Court action against the Archdiocese of Armagh,

Cardinal Brady was the official note-taker during the 1975 ecclesiastical hearing attended by Mr Boland, where the then teenager signed an oath not to discuss the interview with anyone except "authorised priests".
    Cardinal Brady was then a 36-year-old priest.

But he said the proceedings against Cardinal Brady had been a "considerable ordeal" and had been "strenuously defended" by the Cardinal.

Last night Cardinal Sean Brady, Ireland's most senior prelate who was sued by Mr Boland in his personal and official capacities as Archbishop of Armagh, reissued an offer to meet Mr Boland, who is now living in Britain.

Devastated
    Mr Boland, who emigrated after his ordeal, said he was "devastated" to learn from his sister -- some 20 years after he was abused -- that other children had been abused by the Norbertine priest despite assurances he received from the church that the priest would not be allowed to associate with young people.

"I felt responsible for the misery of Fr Smyth's subsequent victims, my guilt plagued me," Mr Boland said in a statement issued through his solicitor.
    "At the trial of Fr Smyth, I met other victims who were 10 to 15 years younger than I who would not have been abused if assurances given to me and my family and the youth club priest (to whom he originally confided the abuse) had been honoured.

It is now time for a full state investigation.

Who is still protecting the church

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

In before - "Oh look. Another anti catholic thread"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

In before - "Oh look. Another anti catholic thread"

was thinking exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Brady should be hung drawn and quartered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Oh look, another anti paedophile thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The Catholic church needs to rebrand like FAS did. That should fix things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

How come nobody who has protected child rapists gone to jail? :confused::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ThinkAboutIt

Here we go, 20 pages of arguing back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

It's astonishing to think that Brady is still in a position of power in the church. He should be arrested. He's simply a bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

The Catholic church needs to rebrand like FAS did. That should fix things.

I think those Heaven's Gate lads vacated their trademark. Might be one to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Everyone must know that it's not really a question of who was aware of what. It's become more than clear that the cover up went all the way to the top of the kiddy-fiddler church - to the Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere in Rome himself. Brady was just one of the many foot soldiers who followed orders.:rolleyes:

It would be interesting to know, though, how much the victim settled for. And where the money will come from.:eek:

• Advertisement

St.Spodo wrote: »
    It's astonishing to think that Brady is still in a position of power in the church. He should be arrested. He's simply a bastard.

Being a bastard is an accident of birth. Being what Brady is took some working on. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

can the first person on to this thread to say what a great lad Brady actually is also offer a possible explanation for why he might have done this and what he was possibly hoping to achieve by it?
    i hate to think that my intense disregard for the catholic church as an organisation is prejudicing me against an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Here we go, 20 pages of arguing back and forth.

I don't see what there is to argue about.

The c*nt protected child molestors and rapists.

He should be in jail.

And as it was policy of the organisation he works for, that organisation should be declared illegal and have its assets seized due to its involvement in criminalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

OP, your username lodges you solidly in 'Angry Young Man' territory.

I suggest you get off the computer and listen to the Clash's first album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Burn the churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Grawling

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Burn the churches.

See you at Mass on Christmas day?

(post reported btw)

Grawling wrote: »
    See you at Mass on Christmas day?

(post reported btw)

Why?:confused: And no, you won't.

What crime did he commit? (apart from some unspecified allegations)
    When was it committed? (preferably the exact date)
    What court has found him guilty? (preferably a link to the court proceedings)

As much as you lot like to bash Catholicism and its members, Cardinal Brady is a man of upstanding character. His conscience is clear. Judging from this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844760), it is clear that certain frequenters of AH should look inward on themselves, before criticising others.

Why?:confused:

Incitement to hatred. Incitement to commit arson.

What crime did he commit? (apart from some unspecified allegations)
    When was it committed? (preferably the exact date)
    What court has found him guilty? (preferably a link to the court proceedings)

As much as you lot like to bash Catholicism and its members, Cardinal Brady is a man of upstanding character. His conscience is clear. Judging from this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844760), it is clear that certain frequenters of AH should look inward on themselves, before criticising others.

You must be joking!

• Advertisement

You must be joking!

We're all sinners, and any failings of Cardinal Brady (I'm sure) have been given up to God. You on the other hand, probably haven't been to confession since you were 7. That's one sure route to hell. Cardinal Brady will see you there (that is, looking down from heaven!)

--- Incitement to commit arson.

I only wish Brady had done more to prevent those priests arsen those little boys --- :rolleyes::rolleyes:;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dr Cocks!

We're all sinners, and any failings of Cardinal Brady (I'm sure) have been given up to God. You on the other hand, probably haven't been to confession since you were 7. That's one sure route to hell. Cardinal Brady will see you there (that is, looking down from heaven!)

I hope the churches do burn...
    In years to come maybe catholic ***** will be gone forever, religion is dying in ireland.

I've never protected paedophiles, which makes me a better person than him. The fact that I didn't confess my 'sins' to an imaginary God means literally nothing in relation to my moral character.

Dr Cocks! wrote: »
    I hope the churches do burn...
    In years to come maybe catholic ***** will be gone forever, religion is dying in ireland.

Ah look, a simple-minded hilbilly bigot. Perhaps you should move to Iran or somewhere?

The irony is, you've probably had the benefit of a Catholic education.

I've never protected paedophiles, which makes me a better person than him.

Just what are you trying to suggest?

Could you please answer the three questions posited above?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

So Hell is spending time away from child molesters and the enablers of child molestation.

Seriously Is Child Molestation the Catholic equivalent of the Islamic 72 Virgins?

Like if you do great work in saving paedos from prison do you get the keys to Limbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The law means nothing if not applied equally. Hence the law in this country means nothing. Cardinal Brady didnt feel it right to report abuse so why should anyone report petty things like fraud or dole cheats? I certainly wouldnt feel guilty about breaking petty laws if this guy goes unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Cardinal Brady is a man of upstanding character

Hi Yutta. Still banned I see. Welcome back... at least for a short while. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Yutta wrote:
    Ooh look, an anti-Catholic thread on AH. Cardinal Brady is a very wise man. An upstanding individual whose workrate men half his age would balk at.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The law means nothing if not applied equally. Hence the law in this country means nothing. Cardinal Brady didnt feel it right to report abuse so why should anyone report petty things like fraud or dole cheats? I certainly wouldnt feel guilty about breaking petty laws if this guy goes unpunished.

Ah, yes, blame "the system" when you don't get the result you want. Do you have a problem with the judiciary in this country?

Advertisement