Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foreign nationals taxi drivers /Garda vetting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So you now want to extinguish the concept of innocent until proven guilty, even a trainee solicitor would drive a taxi through that concept

No - it's about whether you allow positive or passive vetting - developed vetting, I'd agree would be overkill for PSV drivers.

Currently PSV drivers are passively vetted - I think they should be positively vetted given they deal with people who are vulnerable or people when they are vulnerable (inebriated etc).

......and even a trainee solicitor can make the public good argument for such a system.....

......maybe even a non-practising barrister could ;)

you are not being accused of anything, you are being assessed whether you are fit and proper person.

Lots of people have to undergo positive vetting before being permitted to be in positions of trust or responsibility as regards the public.

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Actually according to the former minister of transport( Mr Kelly) it IS TRUE.

Got a link?

It makes you wonder how TfL are able to do it, but they're just amateurs compared to the NTA aren't they.......

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/privacy-and-cookies/taxi-and-private-hire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If the Nigerian embassy were asked for a certificate of good conduct, would they have known about the drug charges in Italy? Probably not.

The cops in Ireland might have found out about the Italian charges from their counterparts but presumably only if they knew he had previously resided there and had fingerprints or identity info that would have flagged them?

When I immigrated to Canada I had to provide a Garda records clearance cert, and I think you have to provide one for all countries you lived in for a specified period in order to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Jawgap wrote: »
    Got a link?

It makes you wonder how TfL are able to do it, but they're just amateurs compared to the NTA aren't they.......

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/privacy-and-cookies/taxi-and-private-hire

No I don't have "a link", it was a radio interview he did during the year when questioned.
    I'm hardly going to make things up just for the sake of it,ffs!

No I don't have "a link", it was a radio interview he did during the year when questioned.

Convenient.

You'd wonder why he'd say something that's easy to do :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Convenient.

You'd wonder why he'd say something that's easy to do :confused:

Convenient???

If you think its so easy perhaps,why not send him an email and ask him, or since you know better why don't you set up a vetting service and we will all be able to sleep better at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you can link to radio inteviews,most are archived, what station was it? when?, what program?

Convenient???

If you think its so easy perhaps,why not send him an email and ask him, or since you know better why don't you set up a vetting service and we will all be able to sleep better at night.

Yes - convenient.

Most of his media utterances seem to be here - http://www.alankelly.ie/

......and I can't set up a 'vetting service' because it's most properly done by the state, under proper authority with an effective system of governance and oversight in place.......

.......saying that if the government can ever overcome the vested interests and move towards setting up something akin to the CRB in the UK I'd be happy to come on board as CEO for a low six figure salary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The Garda vetting here, loose and all as it is, is easily bypassed by convicted criminals in our courts over the years. All it takes is a visit to the court to apply for an appeal to a rejected application on the basis they have a right to make a living and a licence will be issued with, at worst, a probationary period of a year. If a citizen is a convicted criminal and he or she can still get a PSV in Ireland upon appeal, there is little point in the time and hassle in the Carriage Officers requiring vetting of non nationals given that the same avenue of appeal is open to them. The right of refusal should either be there and applied or not at all; the current "Ah go on and be good" situation is farcical.
    Yes - convenient.

Most of his media utterances seem to be here - http://www.alankelly.ie/

......and I can't set up a 'vetting service' because it's most properly done by the state, under proper authority with an effective system of governance and oversight in place.......

.......saying that if the government can ever overcome the vested interests and move towards setting up something akin to the CRB in the UK I'd be happy to come on board as CEO for a low six figure salary :D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Of course there should be garda vetting for all taxi drivers regardless of national origin.
    I had a good and bad experience of a foreign national driving a taxi one guy was either trying to pull a fast one and go the long way(he thought i was american), pretending he didnt know the way to my destination, claiming the GPS was telling him to go the wrong way which it was not.
    The 2nd guy an eastern european (russian maybe) knew the city as well as a native like me, even saying he was going to go the geographic long way since traffic was heavy the other way and gave me the option of going that way if i doubted him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well I know an Irish guy with a driving conviction who's driving a taxi.

(Can't share with you exactly how I know ... let's just say there is zero chance I'm wrong.)

Advertisement