Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - am I missing something?

• 02-10-2014 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi
    Am I missing something with Netflix??? I have an account and hear people talking about how brilliant it is on regular occasions but I think it's a bit crap and am planning on cancelling my subscription.
    I started watching Modern Family, Suits and Derek over. Year ago and NO new series/episodes have been added since. I have watched a couple of complete series and that's been great but why are they not finishing series they've started. Modern Family seems to have disappeared altogether.
    On most websites the UK and Ireland are listed as one region for Netflix but this is not the case, right? They seem to have it much better than us!!
    Am I missing out on something I should be doing to make it better...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

To be honest after the free trial we felt no need to subscribe. It's good value if you don't mind watching loads of average content but its not worth cancelling sky for just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

lauratkd wrote: »
    Am I missing out on something I should be doing to make it better...?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

corsav6 wrote: »
    Shame I can only thank you once.

You're very welcome.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

endacl wrote: »

Hi, I'm trying to download this on a Samsung galaxy 4 and its saying no connection. has this happened to you before?

• Advertisement

lighterman wrote: »
    Hi, I'm trying to download this on a Samsung galaxy 4 and its saying no connection. has this happened to you before?

No. I use it on a laptop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

moreflicks.com is a useful website. Tells you what countries things are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

corsav6 wrote: »
    Shame I can only thank you once.

did you download this alright. I have it on laptop and I cant connect to any site.google etc. The symbol is up in the top right of the screen but it keeps saying error has occurred.

are you getting anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

did you download this alright. I have it on laptop and I cant connect to any site.google etc. The symbol is up in the top right of the screen but it keeps saying error has occurred.

I've gotten that before but reinstalling fixed the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Download the hola app from the play store. When you open it, go to my apps, click Netflix and you can select your country of origin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

lauratkd wrote: »
    On most websites the UK and Ireland are listed as one region for Netflix but this is not the case, right? They seem to have it much better than us!!.?

As far as I can tell they are exactly the same, but I'm open to correction on that one.

For me Netflix is everything UPC On Demand should have been and more, it's got a good lineup, if certainly far from perfect, once you treat it as what it is - a sort of online video store where you pay a (rather cheap for what you're getting) subscription fee. I certainly wouldn't treat it as my main pay-tv provider and its more a supplement to UPC/Sky than anything else. I do certainly watch basic cable a lot less now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ireland and the UK Netflix are the same, an awful lot of Channel 4 stuff you can get on 4od anyway. US is marginally better for tv shows Parenthood and Friday Night Lights are two good shows I have watched there. But I haven't used Netflix in a good while, note to self- must cancel subscription

note to self- must cancel subscription
    "Note to self"?

Surely if you posted that on a device that allowed you to access boards, it would also allow you to access netflix and cancel your account? No ned for a note. Just do it!

I have too much time on my hands today...

endacl wrote: »
    "Note to self"?

Surely if you posted that on a device that allowed you to access boards, it would also allow you to access netflix and cancel your account? No ned for a note. Just do it!

I have too much time on my hands today...

well I am in work now so can't access Netflix but thanks for your concern

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Ricky Gervais has been advertising for a long time on Facebook and the like that Derek season 2 (for example) is on the UK Netflix but I don't have it...!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

Thanks for all the other suggestions btw. I haven't managed to try out any other country setting yet but will definitely give it a go! I use a PS3 and another Sony player of some sort (can't remember the name); hopefully it'll be easy enough to sort out on them...

Looks like channel 4 have not licensed s2 of Derek for Netflix UK but you can find on 4od, is free and available in Ireland

Its working perfect for me, fast connection and iPlayer working great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I've been using hola for months now and find it very good the US and Canadian netflix has a lot more choice, loads more films and tv series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

There really is a huge catalogue on Netflix, just not apparent from the pretty awful front page that they have.

There is tons of stuff I have yet to watch and have been a subscriber for a long time.

Fantastic value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I use it less than I did since I got chromecast and various apps for my phone but it's still well worth the money I pay (including the couple of euro I pay to other services to watch various regions). Solid reliability and however they do it, Netflix give me a great viewing experience from my very average broadband quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

adox wrote: »
    There really is a huge catalogue on Netflix, just not apparent from the pretty awful front page that they have.

There is tons of stuff I have yet to watch and have been a subscriber for a long time.

Exactly. I find it very hard to find stuff on Netflix. Half the time I just stumble across stuff. My to watch list just gets longer and longer. Now I have season 3,4 and 5 of made in Chelsea to watch. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Exactly. I find it very hard to find stuff on Netflix. Half the time I just stumble across stuff. My to watch list just gets longer and longer. Now I have season 3,4 and 5 of made in Chelsea to watch. 😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

According to netflixaroundtheworld.com there are 23 additional titles on the UK Netflix not on the Ireland one.

Those sites aren't always accurate but are a useful guide.

I wouldn't keep my Netflix sub if I was stuck with access to only one region. The Canada, USA and Netherlands regions are quite good.

The problem is finding titles that don't appear on the main page which changes as you watch more titles and their algorithim starts suggesting things. You really need third party webites to fully enjoy it.

Advertisement