Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Den is no more...

• 14-09-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

So, the Den has been cut. In what other country of the world would a kids' daytime show play host to the head of state?! End of an era... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of my greatest stories stems from the Den:
    RedXIV wrote: »
    The puppeteer for zag went to school where i did and used to be great friends with a guy up the street who went out with my aunt. When he came down to pick her up once, myself and little brother (both around the 4 or 5 mark) started asking him what he did.

He brought me out to his car, popped the boot which the intentions of being the aunt's cool new BF to show two small children the lifeless form of zag in the boot.

We cried for hours. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

It's such a pity. I watched The Den from when I was old enough to concentrate on a TV until I left for college. :(

My nieces and nephews watch nothing but cartoon network and Nick!

I always loved the Halloween and Christmas special! Always worried when Christmas might be cancelled! But Dustin and the gang always saved the day, with a bit of light musical entertainment from Boyzone! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I still remember the day Zig and Zag arrived. They kept us entertained for years. Loved the specials they did. They had the best side characters. They've given birth to Dustin, Podge and Rodge, Socky.

Ted attacking Ray was always great!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Don wrote: »
    I still remember the day Zig and Zag arrived. They kept us entertained for years. Loved the specials they did. They had the best side characters. They've given birth to Dustin, Podge and Rodge, Socky.

Ted attacking Ray was always great!
    Well you can't win em all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Well you can't win em all.

:)

He was coming in as I was going out. I thought that he was good with the younger kids, no? He went on to the early morning show with Emma.

The Don wrote: »
    :)

He was coming in as I was going out. I thought that he was good with the younger kids, no? He went on to the early morning show with Emma.
    I always hated him. His annoying voice, his blue bucket:mad: and the fact that he was as thick as two short planks.
    All the other characters you mention were genuinely funny and entertaining but they were really scraping the bottom of the barrell with that feckin sock monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I watched the Den from the 80's until late 90's and then stopped when that simpleton Sock Monster appeared, he was very sad.

I'm glad they scrapped the show as it was getting absolutely nowhere with the late setup they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pixied

I caught some of the new childrens programming on RTE this morning, god it is woeful,even my 3 year old was not enamoured!

Emma has turned into a complete simpleton <no offense Emma>, bring back the old Emma my 3 year old misses you!

Dump that 'Hubble' program and bring her back in as more of a childrens continuity presenter.

God I have no life..:o

Emma is doing a show now with a weird blue bear type of thing but its the same man who did Socky.
    He barely even changed his voice and he's as annoying as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 The Longfellow

The type of humour on the Den was special. I still laugh when I think of Ray fighting Ted - clearly knackered and pissed off - but having to keep up the pretense.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Rubik. wrote: »

Interesting to see how different they looked compared to say the 90s :D

Thought I'd throw Zuppy in the thread for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

oh here this is still funny.. the randomness of the crew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESlU2fl2QWU

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Talking of old children's RTÉ programmes no longer with us, check out RTÉ.ie's new 404 page...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

Obviously we kids of the 90s remember the Den with rose tinted specs but when all of it's classic characters ( Zig and Zag, Podge and Dustin) have gone on to greater success, maybe it was as good as we remember. It's also a testament to the belief that great programmes like that happen because the people running the station weren't paying much attention to it and just let them get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,682 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

telecinesk wrote: »
    oh here this is still funny.. the randomness of the crew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESlU2fl2QWU

LOL at the comments

"Is that Ryan Tubridy?" :pac:

I loved when Dustin used to do the "flaps", and when he was angry, he sort of contorted his beak around.

Ray getting attacked by Ted was always brilliant, too bad there doesn't seem to be any good clips of it on YT :(

This and SMTV:Live virtually brought me up. :)

That rumour mill/TRTE show that has replaced the den is unbelievably bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

http://youtu.be/EneUY7RCWhA Found this, Epic Dustin plugging Noggin Grill for their BunBurgers .)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭briany

telecinesk wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/EneUY7RCWhA Found this, Epic Dustin plugging Noggin Grill for their BunBurgers .)

Spoicebuuuuhhhgah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lt. Palumbo

Wait, really????

I mean, it's been a good 15 years since I saw it, but it was nice just knowing it was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Class show when in its heyday. Pity Dustin outstayed his welcome with that Eurovision disaster and Zig and Zag sold out and went to the uk. The current stuff is watered down PC tripe for slow learners.

Advertisement