Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Wallace to retire

• 03-05-2012 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

We had a retirement thread for Fla so I think Wally deserves one too

Just been announced officially on twitter by Munster there

Fantastic player for Munster and Ireland during his career.

Played some of the best rugby of his career before injury prevented him from travelling to the world cup and sadly hasn't looked the same ever since

Wish him all the best in whatever he decides to do next

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I was gutted for him when he was injured in the England game pre-RWC.

Fantastic player, loved watching him play for Ireland and dreaded seeing him on teamsheets for games against Leinster.

Best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Great player. Sad to see these legends slowly fading away.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

One of my favourite players in a red jersey, it's a shame how his career ended. He deserved to have a great Ireland swansong at the World Cup.

The guy was a freakish athlete who despite many serious injuries was a top player. Keith Wood has said numerous times that Wally was a physical freak.

Best of luck to him in the future, that's the legendary trio of Quinny, Wally and Axel all gone now.

It doesn't look likely but it would be great if he was fit enough to make the bench this weekend, to give him a proper Thomond sendoff like John Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I take it that it is true he was having trouble with his knee so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gutted to see any player have to retire due to injury. Wally was playing some of the best rugby of his career in 2011, its such a shame he couldn't come back successfully. I remember in an Area 22 interview he corrected the interviewer at the time by saying it was 'not a career ending injury'. You could see how much he meant that at the time... such a pity it ended up being true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

That's the saddest of the lot who have had to retired. So sad to see a player as good as Wallace go. Hopefully he goes into coaching, because he was one of the smartest operators Ireland have had in their backrow.

All the best to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Possibly the most mobile flanker in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Great player, sad end to his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

A real Irish legend. If we had a rugby hall of fame he would waltz straight in there....well, he'd run straight through the front door with a few opposing back rowers trailing in his wake.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

One of my favourite players in a red jersey, it's a shame how his career ended.

One of my favourite players in ANY jersey.
    An incredible player for Munster and Ireland, and if any is worthy of the label, it's him:

LIGIND.

Like Shaggy, sorry to see him retire like this, hope he gets a chance to run out at least once more at Thomond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Wallace today became the fourth Munster player this season to announce his retirement from rugby.

On-going medical issues, as a result of a knee injury sustained in the pre world cup against England, means Wallace has not been able to fully recuperate and regrettably has had to make the decision to retire.
    The 35 year old wing-forward won the last of his 203 Munster caps in the Heineken Cup quarter final against Ulster last month. He won the first of those caps in the Interprovincial Championship game against Connacht in August 1997 at the Sportsground in Galway and quickly established himself in the first team.

He made his European debut in September 1998, played in all nine Munster games in the run to the 2000 final where he scored the only try of the game, won a runner-up medal in 2002 and winners medals in 2006 and 2008. He won his 200th cap in the Magners Grand Final last year the last of his 86 Heineken Cup caps in that game against Ulster.

He was also named in the ERC European Dream Team - (Best XV of European club competitions covering 1995 - 2010) along with Ronan O'Gara and Anthony Foley, won a Grand Slam with Ireland in 2009 and as a British & Irish Lion (2001 & 2009) became the first set of three brothers to play for the famous touring side.

Comment: "Although it's disappointing that injury is forcing me to retire now, I take great comfort that I've had an unbelieveably enjoyable career and I feel very lucky to have been involved in an era that has seen Munster and Ireland enjoy so much success".

"Professional rugby has exploded in popularity and changed beyond all recognition in this country since I began and I feel honored to have played witness to it's massive improvement..

I'd like to thank anyone who has helped me and had faith in me during my 15 year professional career including family, teammates, coaches, medics, friends and not least supporters.

I will be looking to step away from rugby and explore a few different business opportunities while also looking forward to being able to spend more time with my wife Aileen and sons Andrew and Harvey."

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10449.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Gutted for him. Even towards the end of his career he was a great player. In his prime he was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭A-Train

Very sorry to hear this news, great player. I wish him all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

One of my fav players (along with Fla) in an Irish rugby. So mobile and so physical and a massive loss for Munster and even Ireland. It might be Ireland's best position at the moment but a fit Wallace was always going to be in the 22.
    All the best to him and hopefully his 2 sons have the same abilities as him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'm absolutely gutted to hear this. A true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

great player, unbelievable skill set and unnatural power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

My favourite Munster player, always was. Its a pity injury forced him out without a final big game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Its a pity injury forced him out without a final big game.

Yeah, definitely, same for Horgan; it's one thing to be paraded in front of the fans in your suit, but it would be a whole lot better dying with your boots on, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭twinytwo

i believe it was kidney that said, that wallace was the ony player he had ever seen who got fitter and stronger as he got older.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

My favourite rugby player ever, by a distance. An absolute legend, a phenomenally skilful player. He was still going as strong as ever pre-injury, and it's absolutely sickening that his career had to end like that.

We'll miss him... it definitely won't be the same without him around. He's been a fixture in the Munster team for the majority of the time that I've watched them. :(

One of the best try-scoring back-rows that we've ever had. Came up with some very important scores too, try in the HC final in 2000, that try against Sale, and plenty for Ireland as well.

Gutted to see him retire, I wish him all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Jesus, this is one of the saddest days I've had following rugby, not even the news about Penney could counter this. A true legend of Munster and Irish rugby if ever there was one. Without a doubt my favourite ever player. Met the man twice and a sounder fella you couldn't ask for. What a dark bloody day. Hope to christ he gets a swansong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I am pie wrote: »
    A real Irish legend. If we had a rugby hall of fame he would waltz straight in there....well, he'd run straight through the front door with a few opposing back rowers trailing in his wake.

Yeah - if only we had a rugby hall of fame.....http://www.irupa.ie/halloffame.php

Great player - not absolutely world class like BOD / POC / Wood but very very close. Probably not well served by playing 7 for Ireland for so many years, he often struck me as the best 8 Ireland never had.

Very sorry that he didn't get the send off in the WC that he deserved and hope that his injury doesn't prevent him from leading a healthy retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Sad to see him retire but at the same time wouldnt have liked to see him come back not the same player, Peoples only memories will be of him at his best, heroic player and a winner all through his career. Biggest regret for me is not seeing him lineout in the same backrow as Ferris and SOB. Have we ever produced 3 finer athletes with skills to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭twinytwo

shuffol wrote: »
    Sad to see him retire but at the same time wouldnt have liked to see him come back not the same player, Peoples only memories will be of him at his best, heroic player and a winner all through his career. Biggest regret for me is not seeing him lineout in the same backrow as Ferris and SOB. Have we ever produced 3 finer athletes with skills to match.

Wallace at 7 with SOB at 8 would have been quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

twinytwo wrote: »

Could have rivalled the Dallaglio - Back - Hill, impact wise.

Legend of the game. He just seemed to be getting better and better.

Welcome to the gammy knee brotherhood Wally!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,832 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

twinytwo wrote: »

Probably would be even less balanced than the current Irish one but would at minimum scare the bejesus out of the opposing outhalf anyway.

*presuming you had Ferris at 6 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

So disappointed for him to end his career in this manner, he was always on my team sheet, strangely in a way as I always wanted Martyn Williams on my team too and both played 7 but in a very different style.

On the field of play he certainly never left anything behind him and was so unlucky to miss 2 world cups due to serious injury, both sustained in pre w/cup warm games.

Best of Luck Wally.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Legend wish him all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Out of all the Munster retirements in the year this saddens me the most. He was an unbelievable player, and he really was improving with age. I hope he does well for himself in life after rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I don't share the same sense of wistfulness as some have expressed, but completely understand it. The guy had a magical mix of power, pace, great hands and the x factor - a real intuitive feel for the game.

I'd imagine Wallace's career was hugely fulfilling for him personally and he's the kinda man who'll adapt and thrive in life after Rugby.

Some player.

Advertisement