Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shmup High Score thread

• 16-05-2011 4:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Time for a bit of friendly competition :)

Enough of us playing various 2D shooters to get some sort of high score thread going. MAME, consoles, whatever! Suggest a game and challenge everyone else!

Currently working on Mushimesama Futari on 360. Current high score (using Original Mode, Reco, normal shot) is 38,801,160.

Also up for a Death Smiles Mega Black Label challenge if anyone's game :)

Suggest on! And of course, MAME for those without a 360.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Yep, I'm up for Deathsmiles (all XBOX 360 release versions, MBL whatever), ALL Cave iPad releases and Mushihimesama Futari XBOX360.

Also, pics for every submission or it didn't happen right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pyongyang wrote: »
    What's the official settings we've decided on for Mushi?

Ver 1.5, original mode, not novice, 360 or Arcade mode (both the same thing really!). Also the character and shot type has to be noted. Plus, screenshots :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't mind a mame one. Would rather one I've not played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a mame one. Would rather one I've not played.

Any suggestions? If we can pick one everyone's new at it could even the playing field :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trying to think... X-multiply? Only played it the once but seems fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sounds like a plan men, can only play on consoles though as I don't have mame due to using my PC for work mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'll join in too - make it a 30 day time period per game ? i.e. select one game per month and go from there. Screenshots obviously mandatory.

Blazing Star might be another one for people to give a go ? but perhaps start with 1 life on Death Smiles MBL seeing as quite alot own it here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Good to see this up and running. For Mushi score runs people should probably be using score attack (or whatever it's called :pac:), as it requires the default settings and uploads to leaderboard for easy verification shots.

Currently I'm around 55m with Reco, original mode, normal shot, xbox360 mode, will get a pic up at some point, but it's there on the leaderboard anyway.

After the mini boss in stage 3 is just killing me, really can't afford to bomb because of the penalty, but I'll get there eventually. I'm actually kind of glad DS2X isn't accessible to us yet as I'm really enjoying getting back into Mushi.

Edit: out of curiosity, why DS MBL over original mode? I think original is far better then MBL.

Alos, another suggestion for a MAME shmup, could use Progear to keep with the Cave theme, I've not much experience of it and would like to give it a go properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    I'll join in too - make it a 30 day time period per game ? i.e. select one game per month and go from there. Screenshots obviously mandatory.

I think when you have a limit, once it's reached the thread is forgotten about and that's it. It's what happened the last time (and probably the time before that too)

It would probably be best just to have a rolling score thread. You do well in a game, post the score. If it's better than the previous score in that game - you are the best! Until it's passed out.
    ondafly wrote: »
    Blazing Star might be another one for people to give a go ? but perhaps start with 1 life on Death Smiles MBL seeing as quite alot own it here ?

Oh yes please Blazing Star! Haven't broken out the Neo Geo since I moved to the new place. Been looking for a reason to!

Oh the subject of DeathSmiles - Johnny Ultimate - how the hell did you 1CC that game with the final boss? I got up to him on one credit (thanks to my new stick!), thought I had it in the bag, and he started throwing things at me that I couldn't possibly see a way through?!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Johnny Ultimate - how the hell did you 1CC that game

Curious to know if that also included 'Bloody Jitterbug'. If it did, very few people have that achievement so congrats if you did. :)

• Advertisement

o1s1n, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71148700&postcount=48

You get used to the blocks with practice, don't be afraid to bomb your way through if you have to.

His first form will drop a big cake powerup if you don't bomb him, gives you 2 lifebar refills, if you already have full life when he drops it you have time to bomb him and suicide and pick up the cake before it disappears.

Wouldn't mind some Blazing Star. Didn't want to suggest it after the kicking o1s1n gave us all with dodonpachi last time :)

Oh the subject of DeathSmiles - Johnny Ultimate - how the hell did you 1CC that game with the final boss? I got up to him on one credit (thanks to my new stick!), thought I had it in the bag, and he started throwing things at me that I couldn't possibly see a way through?!

It was half fluke tbh - was a fairly iffy run at the start but the Castle went all good, but the end was super close (half a life bar, no bombs at the end). It was, in fairness, a mix of level 1s, 2s and 3s. Extends are vital - make sure you know the volcano back to front (on level two or preferably 3), as it's the difference between 3 and 5 lives. You need those two score extends, and at the very least the one you get if you play the swamp as the last stage on level 2. And use Rosa! The phone started ringing through the middle of the castle and my brother tried to hand it to me. The intense 'Later!' I gave him probably scared the crap out of him :pac:

Spent a lot practicing on v1.1 on all level 3, and can nail it up until the Gorge which is when it pwns me something fierce :(
    Curious to know if that also included 'Bloody Jitterbug'. If it did, very few people have that achievement so congrats if you did. :)

**** no! I will kiss the feet of anyone on here who manages that one!

As for the MAME, I'm cool with whatevs! Maybe one that isn't Cave just to mix it up :)

Oh, and knocked my Mushi score up to 41,940,089. Still way off blags, and it's all cause of that cursed level 3 (no miss up until then).
    blag wrote:
    why MBL?

I consider the senses destroying joy of MBL v1.1 as close to video game poetry as you can get :p

Fair enough, I haven't really tried it much tbh, but sounds good!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind some Blazing Star. Didn't want to suggest it after the kicking o1s1n gave us all with dodonpachi last time :)

One thing I haven't done with Blazing Star is play for score. I always just try to 1CC it. I'd be very interested in having a go score wise and seeing how that pans out.
    blag wrote: »
    o1s1n, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71148700&postcount=48

You get used to the blocks with practice, don't be afraid to bomb your way through if you have to.

His first form will drop a big cake powerup if you don't bomb him, gives you 2 lifebar refills, if you already have full life when he drops it you have time to bomb him and suicide and pick up the cake before it disappears.
    It was half fluke tbh - was a fairly iffy run at the start but the Castle went all good, but the end was super close (half a life bar, no bombs at the end). It was, in fairness, a mix of level 1s, 2s and 3s. Extends are vital - make sure you know the volcano back to front (on level two or preferably 3), as it's the difference between 3 and 5 lives. You need those two score extends, and at the very least the one you get if you play the swamp as the last stage on level 2. And use Rosa! The phone started ringing through the middle of the castle and my brother tried to hand it to me. The intense 'Later!' I gave him probably scared the crap out of him :pac:

Cheers guys!

I actually wasn't too sure where any of the extends are, so have been pretty much just playing the game with three life bars. If I could get some extra health somewhere that'd be fantastic.

Oh and snap on the phone ringing, exact same thing happened to me with my best Dodonpachi score. My girlfriend answered it and said -

'Sorry, Oisin can't come to the phone right now, he's playing a very important videogame' :D

The manual with Death Smiles tells you what order you need to play the levels in to get the extends. They're mostly level 3, though, but there's a few you can get on lower levels. It actually has some amazing advice in there, which makes a change!

The score based ones kick in at - I think - 20 million and 45 million? In and around that - you'll get like a third or more of those millions in the Volcano :pac: Power up at the bits where the asteroid / rock thingies spill out and you're laughing. Castles also great for getting those last few precious score multipliers.

I lost my focus on Mushihimesama Futari completely. Really struggling to prevent stupid mistakes and (not trying to blame the tools entirely!) the more I use it, the more I absolutely HATE the throw on the EX2. I need a seriously short throw for this game, my hands are becoming 'Beadleclaws'. :(

Sounds like you need help from uncle Seimitsu

Master of the Universe

I know exactly what you mean about the EX2. I'd spent a while this evening playing Deathsmiles with it. Got to a point where I was kind of settled with how it felt...was starting to think that maybe it was okay. Was hurting my hand after a few games though.

Then decided to play Ikaruga downstairs on my Dreamcast with mr Seimitsu which I haven't really gone near in ages.

There's some difference between the two. It's so noticable after adjusting to a cheap stick.

I lost my focus on Mushihimesama Futari completely. Really struggling to prevent stupid mistakes and (not trying to blame the tools entirely!) the more I use it, the more I absolutely HATE the throw on the EX2. I need a seriously short throw for this game, my hands are becoming 'Beadleclaws'. :(

Pfft blaming the stick that has got me up to the 40 millions :p

But yes, must upgrade to a finer stick sometime soon. But two years on and my Hori has done the job fine. If I had money, a TE Madcatz wouldn't be a purchase I'd object too though! Not sure if there are many more 360 sticks out there?

• Advertisement

But I always end up with Beadleclaws after using it! :(

That said I am getting better with the scoring system. I'll be starting stage 2 now with 10-12 million rather than 6-7 million.

Then I start getting all excited and then its game over and I'm still on 10-12 million.

Argh!

Master of the Universe

Pfft blaming the stick that has got me up to the 40 millions :p

But yes, must upgrade to a finer stick sometime soon. But two years on and my Hori has done the job fine. If I had money, a TE Madcatz wouldn't be a purchase I'd object too though! Not sure if there are many more 360 sticks out there?

Did you at least change the ball top on the EX2? The seam on it is horrific! One of the worst I've ever come across. It literally pained me to play with it.

Did you at least change the ball top on the EX2? The seam on it is horrific! One of the worst I've ever come across. It literally pained me to play with it.

Nope, never changed it. I guess I just got used to it! The plastic buttons are probably a bit more fiddly IMO. As said, I'd like to upgrade, but the alternatives are crazy prices. I'd also consider changing the stick around if I wasn't so hopeless with everything technical :pac:

Master of the Universe

The ball top can be replaced in about 30 seconds. You just remove the bottom plate, hold a screwdriver in the nut on the bottom of the stick and screw the ball off. Then screw a new ball on. It's about as technical as changing a light bulb :D

Even if you're not arsed replacing the buttons and stick at this stage, at least change that.

I think I'd build a stick rather than spend a fortune on one of those TE thingies.

Doesn't arcadeforge.de build custom sticks? Still to get my SLG 3000 from them. v2 of it is out now I think.

Those sticks and buttons don't last forever. Cheap ones especially are very prone to wear. Even with sanwa and seimitsu components if you are playing a lot you'll have to replace the components every couple of months, I know the fighting game guys do and I can feel the buttons and joystick in my fightsticj needs replacing as well. I'd so with some intense play those Hori sticks wouldn't last 6 months probably less.

The ball top can be replaced in about 30 seconds. You just remove the bottom plate, hold a screwdriver in the nut on the bottom of the stick and screw the ball off. Then screw a new ball on. It's about as technical as changing a light bulb :D

Even if you're not arsed replacing the buttons and stick at this stage, at least change that.

I think I'd build a stick rather than spend a fortune on one of those TE thingies.

Where's the best place to get ball tops? Might give it a go then...

DSC0000000.jpg?t=1305723630

Managed to scrape through stage 3 and die mid way through 4, killed by a bullet firing back from a powerup :pac:

Master of the Universe

Where's the best place to get ball tops? Might give it a go then...

Here you go, this'll work -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SANWA-LB-35-BALL-TOP-HANDLE-PINK-LB35-NEW-/390295989268?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item5adf742c14

(he has other colours in case you don't link pink :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I consider the senses destroying joy of MBL v1.1 as close to video game poetry as you can get :p

It's a barrel of laughs, all right, especially in the Ice Palace:

Anyway, pics of my Deathsmiles high scores coming soon (and possibly a YouTube video).

Advertisement