Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I wouldn't start Buckley, I'm not a fan of his, he is our weak link I'm afraid, hope he proves me wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Stinicker wrote: »
    I wouldn't start Buckley, I'm not a fan of his, he is our weak link I'm afraid, hope he proves me wrong.

He is proving you wrong since the start of the championship really!
    Buckley is definitely going to start and his aerial ability and long range kicking could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

David Moran named player of the month...well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

David Moran named player of the month...well deserved.

Delighted to hear that, well deserved as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Delighted for Moran!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Thinking i would defo start SOB at No.10 the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The Whisperer

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Thinking i would defo start SOB at No.10 the next day.

And drop who micheal geaney? Donncha walsh? Wouldnt be a fan of walsh but he hasnt done much to merit being dropped, likewise geaney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

And drop who micheal geaney? Donncha walsh? Wouldnt be a fan of walsh but he hasnt done much to merit being dropped, likewise geaney

I'm a huge fan of both & actually canvassed for Mikey to start many a time on here,But horse's for course's and i think we need to be more attack minded in the half forward line because of Donegal dropping numbers back

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of both & actually canvassed for Mikey to start many a time on here,But horse's for course's and i think we need to be more attack minded in the half forward line because of Donegal dropping numbers back

You just dont know what donegal are going to do on any given day . Wouldnt suprise me if they went man for man however unlikely it may sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

What do ye think of the whole Marc starting or not. Looks like most people think he will def start against Donegal but I actually think the tighter pitch in Limerick suited him. Playing in the wide open spaces of CP could expose him again ?
    My team would be.
    Kelly
    Murphy AOM Enright
    Fionn Crowley Young
    Maher/Moran
    Walsh Sheehan/Buckley SOB
    JOD DOS Paul G

Couple of issues over fitness and I actually think Mike Geaney & Donnacha are too similiar type player and we don't need both against Donegal. When Donnacha gets tired Geaney on.
    Donaghy not to start IMO but great to have in the bench.
    I would love if Sheehan was fully fit , his experience & class is badly needed but Buckley to do a good job if starting also.

• Advertisement

nicepoint wrote: »
    What do ye think of the whole Marc starting or not. Looks like most people think he will def start against Donegal but I actually think the tighter pitch in Limerick suited him. Playing in the wide open spaces of CP could expose him again ?
    My team would be.
    Kelly
    Murphy AOM Enright
    Fionn Crowley Young
    Maher/Moran
    Walsh Sheehan/Buckley SOB
    JOD DOS Paul G

Couple of issues over fitness and I actually think Mike Geaney & Donnacha are too similiar type player and we don't need both against Donegal. When Donnacha gets tired Geaney on.
    Donaghy not to start IMO but great to have in the bench.
    I would love if Sheehan was fully fit , his experience & class is badly needed but Buckley to do a good job if starting also.

Bryan Sheehan could be the key to unlocking the donegal defense with his class and passing technique not to mention his ability to score from out the field. Ye can call me mad but I would not like to see James O DOnoghue corner forward at least not an orthodox corner forward against donegal. In my Opinion if O donoghue is to play in the inside line then donaghy HAS to play at 14 and let james and paul geaney feed of the breaks . Trying to get clean ball from passes out the field will only play into donegals hand, and look what they done to bernard brogan , jamie clarke, conor mcmanus, all were seriously ineffictive against them, and they will be coming up with similiar tactics to stop JOD.

What do ye think re:defensive match ups?

I'd expect Mahony to take McFadden, Crowley to take Michael Murphy and Paul Murphy to take McHugh.

Think those are Donegal's three biggest weapons and kind of like how we match up against them.

keane2097 wrote: »

I'd expect Mahony to take McFadden, Crowley to take Michael Murphy and Paul Murphy to take McHugh.

Think those are Donegal's three biggest weapons and kind of like how we match up against them.

Would Prefer Fionn Fitzgerald myself on Mchugh, more legs imo.

Dosnt make that much of a difference anyway i would think as all the donegal team will take up various positions all over the pitch with little emphasis being placed on actual "positions". For example if mchugh goes way back into his own defence i would not see it sensible for his marker to follow him back there. You know?

Dosnt make that much of a difference anyway i would think as all the donegal team will take up various positions all over the pitch with little emphasis being placed on actual "positions". For example if mchugh goes way back into his own defence i would not see it sensible for his marker to follow him back there. You know?

Yeah right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

One thing I would be wary of is of Donegal's tactic of having attackers roaming all over the field, in order to pull defender out of position.

Murphy for instance will drift between being out the field and in towards goals - if you have a player assigned to man-mark him and he drifts out the pitch, what does this do to Kerry's defensive structure?

I think given Murphy and McHugh importance to Donegal and their tendency to both appear all over the pitch, assign 2 players to man mark them wherever they go - I'd assign Griffin and Fionn Fitz to this role [Griffin would be in essence a 7th defender along with Marc,Aidan, Killian, Peter, Paul and Fionn]

Probably very little chance of happening but I think it would be a decent defensive tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd prefer Fionn on mcHugh as I think if it were Paul marking McHugh, it would impact his in the loose/ breaking ball winning ability. Very hard to take the gamble to dive in for the 50/50 dirty ball if you're job is keeping an eye on the guy the opposition will be looking to feed the ball to if they win it.

So many permutatations goin on in my head as to what kerry should do to counter act donegal. One that i cant help but think would be beneficial to kerry would be : Go extra defensive, let donegal attack kerry and see what they have, drop no10 and 12 in between the half back line and full back line and then counter like **** up the pitch at lighening speed. They wont be expecting it thats for sure, and would nearly suit the likes of donncha walsh and mike geaney. Also if you examine donegals game plan it is based around letting the opposition have the ball and counting on turnovers and then counter themselves, if we always have the sweepers in place we basically can never be counter attacked. It would free up space for JOD etc also. Just a suggestion what do ye reckon>? (I realise its not a kerry esque way of playing the game )

So many permutatations goin on in my head as to what kerry should do to counter act donegal. One that i cant help but think would be beneficial to kerry would be : Go extra defensive, let donegal attack kerry and see what they have, drop no10 and 12 in between the half back line and full back line and then counter like **** up the pitch at lighening speed. They wont be expecting it thats for sure, and would nearly suit the likes of donncha walsh and mike geaney. Also if you examine donegals game plan it is based around letting the opposition have the ball and counting on turnovers and then counter themselves, if we always have the sweepers in place we basically can never be counter attacked. It would free up space for JOD etc also. Just a suggestion what do ye reckon>? (I realise its not a kerry esque way of playing the game )

It's pretty much how we've been playing all year.

It's pretty much how we've been playing all year.

Donncha Walsh has been dropping way back il give you that and when DOS has played he has been a kind of link man between backs and forwards . But we have not played with 2 out and out sweeper ish type players who are permenantly based in between the hb and fb lines in any game. Donegal havent the players to kick long range scores, all they offer is a counter attacking running based game and if we have enough bodies back to cover this we should be ok. As i said its just one permutation i have of how maybe kerry should line out, not saying its the best but interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just heard on the radio this morning that the 2015 Munster Football championship draw will have Cork and Kerry getting byes to the SF, but that the SF draw will be open.

Thus I presume that it's the end to the seeded draw, i.e Cork and Kerry may have to play each other at SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 nicepoint

Just heard on the radio this morning that the 2015 Munster Football championship draw will have Cork and Kerry getting byes to the SF, but that the SF draw will be open.

Thus I presume that it's the end to the seeded draw, i.e Cork and Kerry may have to play each other at SF.

To be fair it's the right to do, lets hope Tipp,Limk,Waterford & Clare step up to the mark now and we don't have potential one sided Munster finals.
    After saying that the draw may favour Kerry & Cork Munster final anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

any of ye got tickets yet?

Season ticket arrived in this house today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

When are they on sale? Monday?

D'Agger wrote: »
    When are they on sale? Monday?

County players get looked after surely!? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Season ticket arrived in this house today.

Me too, 304. Very happy with that.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Me too, 304. Very happy with that.

To give credit where credit is due the GAA do reward season ticket holders with good final seats.

Any tickets that ever came to this house via the Kerry "scheme" in the pre season ticket days were muck, and the initial investment was far greater than the season ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just out of interest lads re the season ticket,have you attended most of the games this season,a mate of mine says he gives his ticket to one of the lads in the supporters club for the away games anyway, just to make up the percentage of games to qualify for a All Ireland ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

Just out of interest lads re the season ticket,have you attended most of the games this season,a mate of mine says he gives his ticket to one of the lads in the supporters club for the away games anyway, just to make up the percentage of games to qualify for a All Ireland ticket

Yes,you can do that and build up the attendances. But The GAA don't like it and will eventually come up with a way to stop it. But 60% attendance is reasonable and you'd normally have that much and more. This was my worst year for attending,but with 7/12 games I just about scraped my 60% and got my ticket for the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

<snip>
    170 odd hours to go..all the hard work is done for both teams now so this week will just be mainly team selection and tactical discussion etc..

Tickets still not exactly plentiful but another allocation hitting Kerry tomorrow so that should sort most people out.

Not going to go into team discussion or head-to-head battles yet, plenty time later in week. I think there may be 1 or 2 changes on both sides. McGuinness will name a dummy team no doubt, but I'd expect McBrearty to start at least.

Roll on next Saturday is all I can say!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement