Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

nope. 97 was fitz and 00 was seamus. darragh would have won it in 02, but we lost to Armagh by a point.

So Tomas and Marc have won player of the year but Daragh hasn't? that's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Twas an Orlando Magic jacket. Not a top. ;)
    Since we're on the topic of how players got their nicknames. Why is Colm Cooper called Gooch? I've heard him asked that question before on the tv and he kind of avoided the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Archer3083 wrote: »
    Since we're on the topic of how players got their nicknames. Why is Colm Cooper called Gooch? I've heard him asked that question before on the tv and he kind of avoided the question.
    Something related to "coochhee coo" ala Kojak and his inability to pronounce it properly as a young lad it came out as goochee goo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope. A former team mate gave him the nick name as he thought he looked like a kids doll (called the Gooch) with red hair that was popular back in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

already posted my comments on the game on the main thread, am proud of how we played yesterday, it just was not to be.

one thing that sadly cost us dearly was the introduction of Jack Sherwood. not sure if i would go as far as saying it was the decision that cost us the game, but its not far off it. it was pretty much like we played with 14 men when he came on.

unfair on the lad to bring him in to a game like that.

the game was level in the 69th minute, so i am not sure how you can say we died off.

the reality is, our subs were not as good as theirs - that has nothing to do with dying out.

Ye were clinging on for dear life most of the second half. Dublin upped the intensity and Kerry struggled to live with it. The support play out of defence completely tapered off and Kerry were largely reduced to hoofing hopeful balls out of defence.
    It was a magnificent effort from Kerry, but there is a huge difference in their performance and their possession in the first 40-45 minutes and the last 20-25 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Kerryman was suggesting yesterday that Donnacha Walsh would get one, if I recall the term used was 'nailed on'

Not sure if Kerry would get three however.

Walsh deserves one more than O'Donoghue but the half forward line will be very competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

keane2097 wrote: »
    Walsh deserves one more than O'Donoghue but the half forward line will be very competitive.

Diarmaid Connolly definitely and probably Alan Dillon anyway.
    After that, struggling a bit to get a stand out performer, so Walsh has a very good chance. Deserves one.

No one from Tyrone, nor Cork - Mackey from Cavan??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

robbiezero wrote: »
    Diarmaid Connolly definitely and probably Alan Dillon anyway.
    After that, struggling a bit to get a stand out performer, so Walsh has a very good chance. Deserves one.

No one from Tyrone, nor Cork - Mackey from Cavan??

probably belong sin the All stars thread but I'd imagine if Mayo win then McLoughlin may be their only half forward selected, partly due to his exclusion last year, Dillion may be a stretch
    If Mayo loose then their only All Star forward will be O' Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

You would expect the All Stars to be

Cluxton

Keith Higgins
    Ger Cafferky
    Dessie Mone

James McCarthy/Lee Keegan - Whoever Wins Final
    Donal Vaughan
    Jack McCaffery/Colm Boyle - - Whoever Wins Final

Aidan O Shea
    Michael Dara McAuley

Sean Cavanagh
    Colm Cooper
    Alan Dillon/Kevin McLoughlin/Diarmuid Connolly/Ciaran Kilkenny - Whoever wins SAM

James O Donoghoe
    Bernard Brogan
    Alan Freeman/Cillian O Connor - Who ever has a better Final

Donnacha Walsh unlucky to miss out as is Martin Dunne & Cian Mackay from Cavan,Ciaran Hughes of Monaghan will be unlucky to miss the cut

Would expect Lorcan Mulvey of London also to get a nomination

POTY - Aidan O Shea/Michael Dara McAuley
    YPOTY - Jack McCaffery/Ciaran Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

robbiezero wrote: »
    Ye were clinging on for dear life most of the second half.

with one minute to go, Dublin had outscored us 8 points to 6 in the 2nd half, including a burst of 4 points in about 4 minutes which we then got the next 2 after having scored the previous 2 before the burst. id hardly call that clinging on. Declan O Sullivan missed a fairly handy point seconds before the goal. who knows what would have happened, had that been a point.

the goal decided the game. small margins, but i refuse to believe that a team who was level in the last minute of the game and had a chance to go 1 point ahead seconds before the match deciding goal, was hanging on. i belive also we were essentially playing with 14 men such was the poor impact of Jack Sherwood, which then became 13 2 minutes into injury time.

• Advertisement

with one minute to go, Dublin had outscored us 8 points to 6 in the 2nd half, including a burst of 4 points in about 4 minutes which we then got the next 2 after having scored the previous 2 before the burst. id hardly call that clinging on. Declan O Sullivan missed a fairly handy point seconds before the goal. who knows what would have happened, had that been a point.

the goal decided the game. small margins, but i refuse to believe that a team who was level in the last minute of the game and had a chance to go 1 point ahead seconds before the match deciding goal, was hanging on. i belive also we were essentially playing with 14 men such was the poor impact of Jack Sherwood, which then became 13 2 minutes into injury time.
    I think the Kerry performance shocked a lot of people. It certainly shocked me. I definitely didn't think Kerry would even get that close to Dublin. Watching the game I always felt Dublin could do more and I always felt that Kerry were playing at their best. I don't think you could have got any more out of that Kerry team. I still think Dublin will improve and need to improve to beat Mayo.

I don't think it's fair to single out Sherwood. He's young. It's his first semi-final. He will learn and improve. I think Buckley had a quiet enough game in midfield, he's young too and will learn and improve. Galvin faded very quickly in the second half. Donnchadh Walsh seemed to fade alot too in the second half. Donnaghy might have been better used at midfield but his substitution had no real impact. There was no one on the bench really to come in and add to the Kerry performance. Dermot Early made an interesting point on The Sunday Game. Kerry brought on 5 subs, 3 defenders, one midfielder and one forward. They scored nothing! Dublin brought on 1 defender, 1 midfielder and 3 forwards. The Dublin subs scored 2-3. That's a phenomenal contribution. Sherwood should not be a scape goat. Donnaghy and Brosnan contributed very little and to be fair, Moran didn't look fit when he came on at midfield. Overall, Kerry have a poor sub bench this year and it told in the Dublin game. What is more worrying from a Kerry point of view is next year. How is Kerry going to find players to replace the likes of Tomás Ó Sé if they can't even find top notch players to fill their sub bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Very disappointing day for the Kerry ladies today after a very successful year to date.
    No arguing the better team on the day won with a few of their team bordering on unmarkable... there is still a sense of injustice that we have beaten them twice already but they still knock us out.
    Also the referee particularly in the first half was absolutely scandalous and some of the decisions were laughable they were so bad, and often actually given to the wrong team.

Anyway next year is another year and the future is bright for this group of girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

mystic86 wrote: »
    So Tomas and Marc have won player of the year but Daragh hasn't? that's mad

yep.. hard to believe but true.. He has more all ireland medals than both his brothers:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Wasn't expecting Tomás to retire this year. He was still playing well. Drat.
    However, the greatest player to win only 5 All Irelands ?? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

MOTM wrote: »
    the greatest player to win only 5 All Irelands ?? ;)

Gooch has only 4 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Who else might follow? Galvin and brosnan must surely be considering retirement as well, and perhaps O'Mahony. All super players who have had fantastic careers but I can't see any of the above starting in the championship next year. Hope a few good young players emerge during the league. Management have much to think about over the winter.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Who else might follow? Galvin and brosnan must surely be considering retirement as well, and perhaps O'Mahony. All super players who have had fantastic careers but I can't see any of the above starting in the championship next year. Hope a few good young players emerge during the league. Management have much to think about over the winter.
    As far as I know O'Mahony has said that he will stay on for another year. I'd say the rest will take the winter to decide. I'm surprised Tomás didn't wait til next Janurary or February to decide. I'm sure he would have been allowed to pass on the league

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Tomás is training the UCC freshers team next year from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

mickeyk wrote: »

I'd be shocked if Eoin Brosnan stayed on for another year.

Odds are that he will be on the road with Crokes for a good while yet this year.

Crokes are 1/4 to win Kerry and Munster is the softest province in terms of getting to the semi-finals, so chances are instead of having the winter off he will be training and playing.

Really find it hard to imagine he will be back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Gooch has only 4 :P

2006 and 2009 don't really count. Kerry were knocked out in the Munster championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

knird evol wrote: »
    2006 and 2009 don't really count. Kerry were knocked out in the Munster championship.
    Such logic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Archer3083 wrote: »
    As far as I know O'Mahony has said that he will stay on for another year. I'd say the rest will take the winter to decide. I'm surprised Tomás didn't wait til next Janurary or February to decide. I'm sure he would have been allowed to pass on the league

Said on RK last weekend that he was concentrating on the club and hadn't made any decisions.
    Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if Eoin Brosnan stayed on for another year.

Odds are that he will be on the road with Crokes for a good while yet this year.

Crokes are 1/4 to win Kerry and Munster is the softest province in terms of getting to the semi-finals, so chances are instead of having the winter off he will be training and playing.

Really find it hard to imagine he will be back.

Similar to O'Mahony, although specified a few injury free months would be important to his decision.
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Tomás is training the UCC freshers team next year from what I've heard.

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Lots of retirements and an AFL move going on across the county bounds at the moment.

Looks like Cuthbert is weeding out the Cork has-beens. Shame :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 213 ✭✭rambojon

currow take on clare reps this weekend in miltown malbay.. I see johnny was flyin it in county final for currow.. scoring 1.5 think they will take some stopping this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Lots of retirements and an AFL move going on across the county bounds at the moment.

Maybe, although ciaran sheehan is hardly a has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

Axel Lamp wrote: »

Nobody has "weeded them out". They retired of their own free will.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

besides Sheehan, the others were over the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

James Loughrey
    Damien Cahahlane
    Aidan Walsh
    Colm O Neill
    Eoin Cadogan
    Michael Shields
    Brian Hurley

Still serious quality in Cork,If they throw off the shackles Counihan placed on them they will be dangerous as always

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭lukin

James Loughrey
    Damien Cahahlane
    Aidan Walsh
    Colm O Neill
    Eoin Cadogan
    Michael Shields
    Brian Hurley

Still serious quality in Cork,If they throw off the shackles Counihan placed on them they will be dangerous as always

Damien Cahalane is a poor player IMO
    Aidan Walsh has not lived up to his potential and at this stage probably never will
    Colm O Neill; has to be doubts about his long term fitness after doing his cruciate three times in his career.
    Cadogan may not even be playing football this year.
    Shields is not a proper full-back, would be better in the half-back line
    Brian Hurley; not convinced about him; he was very poor v Dr. Crokes last Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

lukin wrote: »
    Damien Cahalane is a poor player IMO
    Aidan Walsh has not lived up to his potential and at this stage probably never will
    Colm O Neill; has to be doubts about his long term fitness after doing his cruciate three times in his career.
    Cadogan may not even be playing football this year.
    Shields is not a proper full-back, would be better in the half-back line
    Brian Hurley; not convinced about him; he was very poor v Dr. Crokes last Sunday

All 6 would make the Kerry team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement