Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galaxy s3 water damage

Options
  • 05-03-2013 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a water damaged galaxy s3. I returned it to meteor last week and they just returned it saying it could not be fixed.
    the phone still functions perfectly except the battery life has decreased and the signal drops and ramps up quite frequently.

Apart from battery life of about 8 hours and loss of signal it operates fully, i even still using it at the moment

I recieved an image of the phone where the water damage occured i will try to upload this later on. The just circled a small IC beside the SIM Card port. Could it just be a matter of changing out this chip?

Can water damage be fixed and has anyone had it fixed on a galaxy s3?
    Could this slight amount of damage cost much

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

probably to late now but....

get a bag of rice and take phone apart.

put phone in rice and leave in warm (but not hot) place for a few days.

actually reading your post again it seems that the damage is done. will have to wait to see the pic before i could tell anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

danniemcq wrote: »
    probably to late now but....

get a bag of rice and take phone apart.

put phone in rice and leave in warm (but not hot) place for a few days.

actually reading your post again it seems that the damage is done. will have to wait to see the pic before i could tell anymore
    This guy knows his rice, (and his ICE :) ).

@OP Have you tried any of the repair shops?

Alternatively, you might be able to cannibalise a broken S3 (not a water-damaged one, obviously) from eBay or wherever for the motherboard, if you are willing to have a go yourself.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭<bert>

i pulled the phone apart and noticed 2 or 3 blown capacitors on the motherboard. I wonder how much a repair shop job would cost. the cheapest motherboard will be 165 pounds ~200e

Advertisement