Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended TV, Film etc.

Options

Comments

Galvasean wrote: »
    I see Asylum have also done a reworking of The Land That Time Forgot, directed by the guy who did The Day The Earth Stopped and War of the Worlds 2.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1410205/

Anyone seen/heard anything on this? (Darko, I'm looking at you...)

It's directed by and stars C. Thomas Howell most famout for his roles in the Hitcher and 80s classic Soul Man. Timmothy Bottoms from That's My Bush is also in it. It's supposed to be okay, the story is reasonable true to the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

trailer for Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus is up now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa7ck5mcd1o

(yes, they have been frozen since ten million years ago, so it is vaguely a palaeontology movie :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

OMG @ the cgi on that Shark movie. LOL!!! I could do better myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

BBC Radio 4 (198 LW) looks at the evolutionary history of the whale - In Our Time, Thursday 21st May, 09:00 (repeated & abridged at 21:30). Should be worth a listen.

Will also be available on the web here.

Jurassic Park is on RTE2 right now.

• Advertisement

By no you've probably heard all about it. Now watch the it in glorious HD and narrated by David Attenborough no less. :)
    The Link is a feature-length documentary film made by the award-winning Atlantic Productions with exclusive access to Ida and the team of scientists who have examined her. The film shows how microtomography, CT scans and X-ray techniques were used to examine and recreate a 3D image of the creature, revealing that this early primate was a previously unknown species and one of our earliest ancestors.

Filmed in High Definition in locations in Europe, America and Africa, this documentary special combines one of the most extraordinary finds ever made, the latest scientific techniques and state of the art graphics to take us on an epic evolutionary journey

More here:
    http://www.revealingthelink.com/more-about-ida/the-film

Please put all discussion in the existing thread here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Phew, its tommorrow night. Not good for me heart Galvasean. :D

I took special care to post after midnight as not to have to change the title later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Enjoyed the program I must say (Although I could listen to Sir David all day as the talking clock). In fairness to the scientists involved the claims made of the fossil were a fair bit more measured than sections of the media were making out. Since I am not qualified to comment on the validity of the intricate evidence presented in terms of primate evolution, I guess I will just have to wait and see what the next few months and years brings in terms of more refined examination.

This summer sees the releease of no less than 3 films with dinosaurs in them (there could be more that I'm not aware of) in the cinema.

Land of the Lost features Will Farell getting mauled by a T.rex. Could be fun. Site (inc. trailer)

Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs features a motley crew of ice age mammals mixing it up with scaly beasts. It will be in 3D and features the vocal talent of Ray Romano and Denis Leary among others. Site (inc. trailer)

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian stars Ben Stiller and has both a T.rex, a Smilodon (albeit in skeletal form) and a Pteranodon (probably others too) in it. Site (inc. trailer)

So, which will you see?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Fran Costello

Any ideas when Jurassic Park 4 is coming out?

Never. It has been officially cancelled.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's not happening. I remember reading a review of a script for it a couple of years go, the plot centred around a scientist who was braught in to lead a crack team of genetically engineered talking dinosaur super soldiers. I **** you not! In a perfect world it would have been made :(

I'll give Land of the Lost a look i reckon, the trailer is pretty funny,its getting lousy reviews stateside though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's not happening. I remember reading a review of a script for it a couple of years go, the plot centred around a scientist who was braught in to lead a crack team of genetically engineered talking dinosaur super soldiers. I **** you not! In a perfect world it would have been made :(

I'll give Land of the Lost a look i reckon, the trailer is pretty funny,its getting lousy reviews stateside though.

that means it's going to be awesome!! :pac:

Based on Darko's reccomendation I picked up Loch ness Terror on DVD for €7.

Quite a fun little romp I must admit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Manuk

Galvasean wrote: »
    Much like the recommended reading thread I believe there should also be a thread for recommending TV programmes.

Speaking of which, where did that thread go? I was planning on looking through it to get ideas for the next Dinosaur book I get, and now I can't find it anywhere. Help!

It's still here in the Palaeontology forum :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055340426

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Manuk

Cheers, That's quite the relief!

Tonight at midnight on the Sci-Fi Channel comes.... Mammoth
    After a meteorite stikes a museum the prized exhibit comes to life and runs amuck!

mammoth.jpg
    Looks fun*

*Please not I will not be held accountable for anyone who watches this and does not have fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDJF7Iqdzc

Found this - Seem to be a new series. 4 episodes I think. That's the first part of the first one, I'm sure you'll be able to scour youtube for the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Will have a look. :)

Looks great. Unfortunately my internet is being a bugger right now so I'll have to watch it later.

Found the website:
    http://animal.discovery.com/tv/animal-armageddon/creatures/

Also the wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Armageddon

There will be 8 episodes (two about the dinosaur extinction) in all and a whole host of cool creatures.

Here's their Dromaeosaurus. Aint he cute?

http://animal.discovery.com/prehistoric/dromaeosaurus/index.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

don't see a pic!

Just watching first ep now.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Having done the whales a few weeks ago, Radio 4's 'In Our Time' last week went right back to the pre-Cambrian soft-bodied organism fossils of the 'Ediacara biota', dating from around 580 million years ago. Programme available here.

Great little doc about the short faced bear on RTE2 right now.
    Unfortunately it's half way through. Still worth checking out if you see this message in tme.

Went to see this yesterday. Fun little movie. Pretty much what you'd expect from a movie for kids; some mild peril, some abstract cuteness and lots of jokes (some good, some bad, some 'influenced' by other films - example the musk ox "I taught you were female!" gag was basically ripped straight out of Kingpin, albeit less filthy) as a motley crew of prehistoric beasts travel to a 'lost world' full of dinosaurs to save their friend Sid the sloth.

The voice acting is solid. Denis Leary (Diego the Saber tooth cat) and Queen Latifa (female mammoth) do a good job on basic scripting. Ray Romano (male mammoth) is... well Ray Romano. He's not bad by any means, but he doesn't exactly challenge himself either. Now that I think about it, I'm amazed Frank Welker wasn't involved in some capacity.

The highlight is probably Simon Pegg's character (a crazy one-eyed weasel). You can tell he probably wrote/improved most of the lines himself.
    Three months ago I woke up married to a pineapple... an ugly pinapple! ....but did love her. *swoons*
    All delivered in his genuine mad-kap style of course.

As a palaeontology buff I was happy at the variety of creatures they included, from terror Diatryma to Moeritherium to Macrauchenia. Then when they arrive in the 'lost world' of dinosaurs there are all sorts; brachiosaurs, stegosaurs, Ornitholestes to name but a few.

Fans favourite Scratch (the buck toothed squirrel thing) is back, of course, but joined by a rival/love interest (the originally named) Scratchette. They have a few scenes which are not linked to the main plot in any real way, but provide excellent silent cartoon era style humour. A bizarre love triangle developed between Scratch, Scratchette and a nut, which must be seen to be believed, that eventually climaxes in a truly oddball montage.

The 3D segments were a bit of a let down, with only a few genuine "Wow" moments. There was a lot of forced 3D perspective, but not nearly enough stuff flying out of the screen. A missed opportunity. I fear 3D cinema may be little more than a gimmick at this point. If you have the choice you may want to save the extra €2 and see the 2D version instead.

The CGI is very nice, particularly the fur on the mammoths which moves realisticly in the breeze. Although there were scenes where the mammoths didn't leave tracks in the which (shouldn't bother peple TBH) distracted me.

There was one particular moment towards the end that had me overly giddy in my seat. Unfortunately it's a massive spoiler. let's just say a very old vendetta is settled...
    In a blatant FU to Jurassic Park 3 there is a moment where a spinosaur is about to chomp down on Sid, only for a tyrannosaur to charge out of the brush and send him tumbling down a cliff. I guess the score is one each now.

Overall, I found it an entertaining romp. A perfect afternoon's distraction for the kids that wont drive adults to distraction.

Saw the trailer for Robert Rodriguez's new (kids) movie 'Shorts'. Looks pretty poor, but features stock Pteranodon footage from Jurassic Park 3.

That is all.

• Advertisement

Discovery Science are showing secrets of the Dinosaur Mummy at 2 o' clock today.

Advertisement