Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 Questions on File Matching/Renaming on Mac

• 18-11-2014 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hello all,

- I have a bunch of unsorted and randomly named .jpgs in Folder A and Folder B
    - Some of the images in Folder A and Folder B are unique and some are duplicate
    - I wish to scan them and pick out the duplicates and remove the duplicate copy - leaving just the original.

Question 1 : How can I remove the duplicate ones - leaving just unique photos in a folder? Any software or inbuilt Mac software that does this?

I then want to batch rename them all in the following way:

File_1.jpg
    File_2.jpg
    File_3.jpg

Question 2: How can I rename them in bulk like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Fruit1985 wrote: »
    Hello all,

- I have a bunch of unsorted and randomly named .jpgs in Folder A and Folder B
    - Some of the images in Folder A and Folder B are unique and some are duplicate
    - I wish to scan them and pick out the duplicates and remove the duplicate copy - leaving just the original.

Question 1 : How can I remove the duplicate ones - leaving just unique photos in a folder? Any software or inbuilt Mac software that does this?

I then want to batch rename them all in the following way:

File_1.jpg
    File_2.jpg
    File_3.jpg

Question 2: How can I rename them in bulk like this?
    Learn Automator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

For removing the duplicates - if they have the same names you can drag all of the ones in folder A into folder B, and choose to replace the ones already there with the ones you are moving (only do this if you are sure that all the names are the same, and that you won't be replacing a photo called, say, car.jpg with another photo of a different car with the same file-name).

For batch renaming, Automator would be handy as it's already in your Mac - duplicate a selection of files to a test folder, and practice on them before messing with original versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Learn Automator

I'm sorry if my post came over as rude/sarcastic. Caught me on s bad moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

In terms of comparing files between two folders, I have used the following with reasonable success: Sync Folders Pro, SyncTwoFolders and Visual Differ. The last one I found extremely complicated to use!!

Advertisement