Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

French Charm? - French Bulldogs

• 29-03-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I'v been mad about these little muts for ages, and now finally when all the dog -friendly conditions have been sorted, Me and my girlfriend are looking for our new friend. My finger hurts f5'ing (refreshing) donedeal at this stage, can anyone point in the right direction? Pm please (email note)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sorry to add to the zombie thread, but CrazyFeet - Have you tried getting in touch with the KC/IKC??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont go near donedeal for a pedigree dog for a start. Contact the ikc for a list of reputable breeders. Hope you have around 1500 to 2000 euro to spend as thats what puppies cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

I spoke to one of the breeders from Kildare i think yesterday. Yea, she told me the same about this breed, good pup will cost a fortune, so the saving starts. But in the meanwhile, still on the lookout for one anyway in case someone tool one but doesn't want it anymore or so on... I'm sure people understand 2k isn't easy to pull out even when it comes to this kind of matter unfortunately...

Now I've seen this add (i know, yes, donedeal)<snip>
    The man selling the dog seems to be very serious, but then again something is not right here.

Hi
    Am so happy you got back and your home happens to be a perfect place for Him.i know you might be thinking why i am giving him out for adoption,it’s because he was owned by my son named Ramson who was a sickle cell patient and passed away 2weeks ago and now Chico the puppy has been very lonely in the house and when i look at him i feel weak and all what i do is think of my late son Ramson ,as if that is not enough, my working condition does not permit me to reserve enough time to take care of Chico..so if you can provide this care to him by making him forget about my late Ramson and play as he use to then i will be very happy and great full.lastly i wish you will be updating me pictures of him monthly so that i see how you are doing with him if you don’t mind.
    As on how you will be getting him will be via shipping ok,which will take about 9hrs
    duration to get to your location,it will cost you a grand total of 250Euro and yes she has got all her shots from birth,which is from ISLE OF MEN UK to you location So i need the following from you:-

:-Full names
    :-Country
    :-State/city
    :-Closest Airport to you
    :-Post code
    :-House Number/street number
    :phone number

As soon as i have the delivery details I shall prepare the change of
    ownership papers before taking the puppy to the delivery service for
    registration and get ready for your home delivery . Do get back to me
    with the details so can prepare the change of ownership papers in time
    and do the registration with the delivery service any time of
    your choice.You will have to pay 250Euro to the delivery company for
    the delivery of puppy to your home. We will send all the relevant
    paper works via the delivery service so you will be paying directly to
    them and not to me because my main objective is for this puppy to have
    a caring and lovely forever family home .You shall be contacted by the
    delivery service shortly registration to let you know about the
    departure time, arrival time and how you be paying for his flight
    ticket so that they can get the puppy delivered over to you at your
    doorstep.
    Waiting to read from you once more.
    Best regards

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Smeefa

crazyFeet wrote: »
    Now I've seen this add (i know, yes, donedeal)<snip>

Yeah thats a scam, don't reply or give any info to him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Its a well known scam, as Smeefa says, don't give him any information whatsoever, and definitely no money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was there a media blackout on this outbreak of sick/dying puppy owning children on the Isle of Man - all these scams seem to be from there recently.:rolleyes:

Reply back saying you've got a carvan over there and will come and pick up the pup so you can have a little holiday and see what he says lol.

OP from experience don't risk it. I'll never get another pup unless it's from a reputable breeder with all the scores and certs - the dogs not the breeder lol!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How could anyone fall for one of those scams?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

tk123 wrote: »
    Was there a media blackout on this outbreak of sick/dying puppy owning children on the Isle of Man - all these scams seem to be from there recently.:rolleyes:

Reply back saying you've got a carvan over there and will come and pick up the pup so you can have a little holiday and see what he says lol.

OP from experience don't risk it. I'll never get another pup unless it's from a reputable breeder with all the scores and certs - the dogs not the breeder lol!:pac::pac:

Ah, but this one isn't on the Isle of Man, its the Isle of Men, completely different place altogether. Actually, with the census results showing there are now only 9.5 men for every 10 women in Ireland, would love to know exactly where it is:P I could pop over for a day trip, and pick the puppy up on the way back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No puppies in any danger from the person the OP found, there are no puppies, never were, never will be. They don't exist ;)

• Advertisement

No puppies in any danger from the person the OP found, there are no puppies, never were, never will be. They don't exist ;)

Yes, I'm aware of that. However the OP is looking for a pup, is he not? So I thought a read of the puppy farm thread might be of help! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Yes, I'm aware of that. However the OP is looking for a pup, is he not? So I thought a read of the puppy farm thread might be of help! :D

Apologies, I thought you might have meant that the person was of a dishonerable nature in a different context following the progression the thread took. I guess it's possible there may be one or two backyard breeders that have bred a litter of Frenchies, but they often need to be delivered by caesarian section which involves a lot of expense and extra care so they aren't really a breed that is going to be used as a money spinner for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ISDW wrote: »
    Ah, but this one isn't on the Isle of Man, its the Isle of Men, completely different place altogether. Actually, with the census results showing there are now only 9.5 men for every 10 women in Ireland, would love to know exactly where it is:P I could pop over for a day trip, and pick the puppy up on the way back.

The Isle of Men - it really did make me titter, what a marvellous place it must be, full of men and puppies - 2 of my favourite things!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

That scam is widely used for car ' sales ' - didn't know that it had progressed to puppies.
    Actually I find it difficult to have sympathy for morons who get taken in by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Surely you dont have to pay 2k for a pup nowadays with most people under so much financial pressure.... Its crazy. Whats wrong with buying a dog from done deal? Most of us didnt go to a mercedes garage to buy our first car. If people can only afford to buy a dog on done deal well then surely thats where they'll buy it. Just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Unfortunately yes, they are still that expensive despite the financial situation at the moment. Its not so much to do with the value of the dog but because they cant be born naturally due to the size of their head. C sections do cost a lot and the breeder needs to charge that much to cover costs. And while there is nothing wrong with buying a dog from done deal once you do your research, visit the litter, see the mother etc, its the main web site where unscrupulous puppy farmers and back yard breeders advertise their stock. A lot of reputable breeders wouldnt advertise there as they would already have waiting lists for their pups, some reputable breeders do advertise there, but more dont, so a lot of people would advise you to steer clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Unfortunately yes, they are still that expensive despite the financial situation at the moment. Its not so much to do with the value of the dog but because they cant be born naturally due to the size of their head. C sections do cost a lot and the breeder needs to charge that much to cover costs. And while there is nothing wrong with buying a dog from done deal once you do your research, visit the litter, see the mother etc, its the main web site where unscrupulous puppy farmers and back yard breeders advertise their stock. A lot of reputable breeders wouldnt advertise there as they would already have waiting lists for their pups, some reputable breeders do advertise there, but more dont, so a lot of people would advise you to steer clear!
    Thanks for the info i didnt realise they had unusual birthing issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Is it just me or is it a little worrying that we still have a breed that can't even reproduce naturally, has bad breathing, inadequate temperature regulation and skeletal issues among other things, because they're cute?:(

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Is it just me or is it a little worrying that we still have a breed that can't even reproduce naturally, has bad breathing, inadequate temperature regulation and skeletal issues among other things, because they're cute?:(

I think it's outrageous. Sure I like the look of the Frenchie and Boston, not so much the Bulldog. But the fact that the bitch cannot give birth naturally is shocking. I'd never support that practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

They are cute but my god I would never own one! Its all down to humans that breeds such as frenchies, bostons or English bulldogs exist, if it wasnt for us there is no way the breed would be able to sustain itself. Personally I like dogs who at least can do the minimum of natural activity ie. breed, whelp and even breath normally without surgical intervention (in some cases)

• Advertisement

well, yea, i knew it was a scam, but when you are hopelessly searching for something sometimes you just want to believe crap like that scam...

about the french breeders, i contacted a good few around the country, got loads of feedback and 'no donedeal' advice (funny enough shortly after that half of them including the priciest once were advertising on DD)

anyhow, i got a frenchie yesterday, he is 3 months old and his name is Cooper! this lil' guy came from a breeder in lithuania (did some research) and he has a passport and all the injections, cost me 650e all. in my opinion it is still a lot of money, not mentioning 2.8k that they charge in celtic kennels (breeder).

i tell you one thing, ever since i was a kid i used to spend time playn with frenchies at my friends house (mum was breeding them), this was a dog i wanted and wouldn't get any other, yes problems, many, but what about pugs? boston? bulldogs? boxsers? irish wolfhounds who have 7 years lifespan? didn't stop from breading those dogs, since Cezar times!

all in all, i love my Cooper, he is the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you got the pup in Ireland, how do you mean it came from a breeder in Lithuania?? :confused: If the pup was bred in Lithuania, how come the person in Ireland was selling it now, it doesnt made sense??

Id be concerned as to why the pup only cost 650 to be honest. Did you get papers with the pup as it looks a lot older than 3 months to be honest..

Well, he was bought with his two sisters and brought over here. The man i bought him off gave me his passport with dogs vaccines and other information. I brought the puppy to the vet today and she told me he is perfectly healthy and well. I asked the guy why is he selling the dog, to which his answer was that he needed a different kennel male to breed with his sisters, that didn't make much sense why the pup was here, but i presumed that he was aiming to make an extra buck (think he hoped for an easier sale).

All in all, yes, he is cheap if you compare to other pups, his dad is not Brad Pit and mom is not Angelina, but I don't think I really bother with that as I just need a friend, not an investment. Vet told me he is more than well, no problems with health and hopefully it will stay that way. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

He's gorgeous, congrats on your new baby :)

**Off topic rant but - Just to add to what other have been saying, the reason alot of bitches need C sections is because of they way they have been bred down the years, i.e. for exaggeration purposes, to look a certain way - particularly with frenchies for a bigger head, stockier shoulders etc. It's not something that started out that way but as with majority of breeds, breeders will 'breed in' certain traits that are deemed desireable, that the evolution of the dog has not and will not catch up with - therefore you end up with a bitch trying to give birth to pups with heads and shoulders that do not fit out the birth canal. Where as if they were just left to their own devices, for want of a better description, the instance for C section would be much lower. They do not all need C sections, and a good breeder will match his dog and bitch carefully to limit the potential need for a C section.

All in all, yes, he is cheap if you compare to other pups, his dad is not Brad Pit and mom is not Angelina, but I don't think I really bother with that as I just need a friend, not an investment. Vet told me he is more than well, no problems with health and hopefully it will stay that way. ;)

All I can think of now is a dog being called Brad Pitt - "here Brad Pitt!!" :pac:

Anyhoos don't just take the vets initial exam as gospel - whatever you do get the pup insured asap to be safe as you have no breeder for comeback if any issues crop up as the pup gets older. You need to have the pup insured as early as possible to be covered for anything that could be seen as genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

tk123 wrote: »
    All I can think of now is a dog being called Brad Pitt - "here Brad Pitt!!" :pac:

Anyhoos don't just take the vets initial exam as gospel - whatever you do get the pup insured asap to be safe as you have no breeder for comeback if any issues crop up as the pup gets older. You need to have the pup insured as early as possible to be covered for anything that could be seen as genetic.

Agree 100% I put the insurance thing on the long finger, big mistake, my lil bud dislocated his knee cap a few weeks ago, cost me a fortune for the operation - not to mention vet visits for tummy bugs and respirtory (sp?) infections they get as puppies, pups so close to the ground, with little or no snout are more prone to picking up lil nasties - especially nosey parker breeds like the frenchie who are into everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Must say Cooper is lovely though I concur with the opinion that he looks a lot older than 3 months.
    2 breeds I would love to have are a French Bulldog and an Italian Greyhound - alas good examples of both from reputable breeders cost a fortune :(

Delancey wrote: »
    Must say Cooper is lovely though I concur with the opinion that he looks a lot older than 3 months.
    2 breeds I would love to have are a French Bulldog and an Italian Greyhound - alas good examples of both from reputable breeders cost a fortune :(

in the passport it says
    date of birth: 26.12.2011 (its his birthday today!!!)
    the seller told me they had to write a month older in order to put him to quarantine when bringing over here, i have my doubts about that too now, as his teeth are growing like mad now and hurt a lot when he bits hard when playing, he chewed his bone all day, this makes me think now that he actually is 4 months as this is the age when they teeth, but is that bad? is it late getting a pup at that age?

this might be a bit off topic, but pet insurance? i am going to read up on it, any quick advice tho?

• Advertisement

this might be a bit off topic, but pet insurance? i am going to read up on it, any quick advice tho?

We're with Allianz - we just sign the form in the vets and they do all the paper work. Have a look around at the different companies and see what's covered, what the claim process is etc. I really hope your pup grows up healthy and problem free but (no offence here) the guy you got it from sounds like a puppy farmer/back yard breeder - you've gambled by getting the pup from him don't gamble now and skip the insurance. You never know when you might need it - my guy came from bad breeder and had to get operations on his legs - all covered by the insurance or I don't know where he'd be now.

Advertisement