Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your Top Ten (Worst) Games Ever!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh I don't think so considering that the uses the same trick a lot of saturn games use. The ground is a massive 2D tile based map that is scaled in and out and the 3D polygon elements are synched to scale and scroll with the 2D plane.

Thats what I thought, surely a first person version of this game would have needed a whole different engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Haha, hate that!

I got GTA and GTA London when I was 5 or 6. Didn't really understand what I was supposed to be doing but enjoyed it none the less. I used to just run around stealing cars. I still like to throw it on every now and again and play (now with a bit more knowledge of wtf is going on :D)

GTA at 5 or 6.

Pokemon at 18.

Sense - this makes none :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lay off the Pokemon! It might have the cute graphics but it'spossibly the deepest RPG game available :P It's more mature than GTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

o1s1n wrote: »
    Lol! Ziiiiing!

I was 13 and my mother wouldn't let me buy it :( Had to make do with a time limited demo.

ah come on in those days barely anybody took the age ratings seriously, at least my parents didn't and a lot of parents still don't.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And fair enough if you are a retro fan, but you were about 9 when the original came out, so perhaps the buzz passed you by.

Funny enough the game was massively popular when I was young and I had good times playing it at one time but I admit myself I mostly loved the violence side of it. No games let you do the things at the time. Barely anybody I knew actually did the missions lol

Master of the Universe

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    ah come on in those days barely anybody took the age ratings seriously, at least my parents didn't and a lot of parents still don't.
    l

Tell that to my mother circa 1984-95/96. If something had an 18s rating it on it wasn't going anywhere near her children! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

ShaqFu.JPG

Shame as made by the guys who made Flashback. Amazing game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah my parents were the same. I wasn't allowed Mortal Kombat 2 because they said it made me go crazy but what I was screaming at the TV for was the incredibly cheap and cheating AI in the game. I had to sneakily get a lend of it and play it on the sly. Still because of it I ended up playing more street fighter 2 and learned it was a far superior game. That was probably the only one I wasn't allowed. They didn't like me playing Resident Evil either but got over that. Strange thing was they bought me GTA as my first PS1 game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭CS Hasuki

Yeah my parents were the same. I wasn't allowed Mortal Kombat 2 because they said it made me go crazy but what I was screaming at the TV for was the incredibly cheap and cheating AI in the game. I had to sneakily get a lend of it and play it on the sly. Still because of it I ended up playing more street fighter 2 and learned it was a far superior game. That was probably the only one I wasn't allowed. They didn't like me playing Resident Evil either but got over that. Strange thing was they bought me GTA as my first PS1 game :)

Street Fighter II on Snes. That was just jaw dropping. I remember to this day getting it from Santa.
    MK was ok, poor mans SF2 really though. O and Rock n Roll racing-:D:D

AH the fond memories.

Master of the Universe

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    ShaqFu.JPG

Shame as made by the guys who made Flashback. Amazing game.

One of the worst concepts for a game ever. Crappy gameplay.

BUT! Some of the character animations are pretty nice.

I remember the first time I rented out Robocop Versus the Terminator. It didn't have any age restriction on the front, so I hadn't a clue how gory it was. When I got it home and played through I freaked out my mam would see and would quickly turn it off if she ever came into the room.

Similarly to Retr0, She obviously just totally misunderstood its greatness.

I can also remember sneaking Doom into the house.

Fun times! The impending wrath of my mother made violent horror games even more terrifying.

I did win her around in the end though. In fact she drove me all over the place one year trying to find a copy of Silent Hill.

Actually you reminded me that my parents didn't want me playing Duke 3D so I hid it deep in my PC's file system :) They didn't mind doom because my dad got addicted to it for a while :D

As regards your mum not letting you play RvsT, I think your mum was doing you a favour and has good taste in games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Mcjmetroid

Tell that to my mother circa 1984-95/96. If something had an 18s rating it on it wasn't going anywhere near her children! :(

my sympathies.

You never know you could have turned into a violent killer :)

Master of the Universe

Mcjmetroid wrote: »
    my sympathies.

You never know you could have turned into a violent killer :)

I'm going to go out now and murder a bunch of people just to prove her wrong.

As regards your mum not letting you play RvsT, I think your mum was doing you a favour and has good taste in games.

Starting with...you!

Cool, then I also get to hang onto your copy of PDS. Although I'm sure your Ghost would haunt me from beyond the grave.

Oh you can be sure of that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

2. Rise of the Robots (MD)

Infamous.. what were the games magazines payed with, coke and hookers?

The coverage was unreal. Talking of which, has Unreal II got a mention yet?

Unreal 2 wasn't bad it was just bland with no redeeming qualities at all. Unreal was also really bland and dull as well but got good reviews because of the pretty graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Can't believe that Jumpman for C64 got into someones list. Its lame by todays standards but back in the day it was an addictive bugger of a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Can't believe that Jumpman for C64 got into someones list. Its lame by todays standards but back in the day it was an addictive bugger of a game.
    My list, and it was never addictive, just lame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Some of my most hated games include:

Far Cry 2 (PS3), the enemy checkpoint respawns just brutalised the game for me.

Last Action Hero (SNES) NEVER got past the first level, just impossible.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (PS3) When the sh!t hit the fan for me in the series.

WCW Mayhem (N64) My lord, one of the worst games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Had a newer version of the quickshot myself, although I was late to the game only getting my C64 at christmas 1990, maybe 1991. I was only 7 or 8 then. I always wanted that bug joystick, they seemed really comfortable iirc.

sinclairzx3.jpg

I had that. Was the best joystick ever for Sensible Soccer. Was great for quickly turning with the ball.
    Speaking of ****, I remember my cousin had a Batman joystick for the Speccy. Wtf was that about? Most uncomfortable thing I've ever used. Batman is not ergonomically shaped!

I also had a few of these. They were super cheap for a long while so handy for forcing friends you didn't like (or the ones who always broke joysticks) to use when playing multiplayer.

But it had so many sharp and jarring angles on it... really painful to use.

As for worst game.

I think the worst one I ever paid money for and was utterly disgusted by was Malice. It was like a platform game made by people who had only ever read about platform games in a book. And the main character was a horrible Buffy wannabe with the most terrible quips in the history of... well... everything.

Think it was a game that had a quite a long production history to it... I remember it actually looking sort of good at one point too... but the final product was utterly horrible.

Can't believe I didn't mention Legend of Dragoon. It's a horrible soulless designed by commitee mess. It was made by Sony as an obvious attempt to hop on the FF7 bandwagon. The story is utterly terrible with some horrible characters. The translation that happens to be even worse than FF7's doesn't help either. The battle system is a joke. You can only attack but when you do you have to take part in a rhythm minigame to do maximum damage. Good idea on paper but you do this every time you attack. There's no magic either. When you use an item you have to hammer the X button like it's daley thompsons decathalon to get the best effect out of it. Every so often you can transform into a dragoon that can use crappy magic but it happens very rarely and the magic attacks take ages to load and play out. the random battle encounter rate is really high and the load times for the battles are terrible. The game is by far the worst RPG I've ever played.

Unfortunately the game suffers from final fantasy 7 syndrome were despite not being that great at all people still love the game and proclaim it as the greatest ever because they were 8-12 when they played it and didn't no any better. However FF7 is a good game just not the best game ever people claim it to be, Legend of Dragoon is horrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Maybe I just didn't get it.... but Unlimited Saga on the PS2 by Square was absolutely horrible.

Came in a lovely box though.

Trust me it wasn't just you. The entire saga series (well maybe not Final Fantasy Legend 2) is regarded as terrible with Unlimited Saga being by far the worst.

Master of the Universe

Came in a lovely box though.

They all have lovely bottoms...er..boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭justbrian

Cool spot 2. Cool (groan pun) game.

Cool spot (2) goes to hollywood, turd in box

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Pac-man and Ghost N' Goblins spring to mind for me as they were too effin tough and chewed through my 10p's :(

Skerries wrote: »
    Ghost N' Goblins

NO! You did not justgo there! It's one of the best games ever made. Just because you are crap at it doesn't mean it's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Skerries wrote: »
    Pac-man and Ghost N' Goblins spring to mind for me as they were too effin tough and chewed through my 10p's :(

I think its notoriously difficult, but one of the worst games of all time? Come on man how about Trivial Pursuit on the C64....

It's not even that difficult. Some games are just impossible but Gn'G is definitely beatable, I've done it on 1 credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭marcuspheonix

It's not even that difficult. Some games are just impossible but Gn'G is definitely beatable, I've done it on 1 credit.

wow, your great.

i dont think it was one of the worst games ever, however its far from being one of the best either

• Advertisement

Have to totally disagree with you. I think it's one of the best arcade games ever made and I'm sure the majority will agree with me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement