Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chenrezig

• 05-04-2006 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Im on a voyage here, finding out about Buddhism, I hope to take refuge this summer in Scotland - all being well.

Today I attended prayers at the Buddhist centre (www.buddhism.ie) they were to Chenrezig.

I didn't get a chance to ask at the end so I thought I'd ask here -

Who was Chenrezig and what is the chanting aimed at doing?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Jon wrote:

Chenrezig is the bodhisattva embodying the compassion of all the Buddhas. Depicted holding the wish-fulfilling gem between folded hands. One of the eight main bodhisattvas. The mantra associated with this bodhisattiva is known as the king of mantras, OM MANI PEME HUNG.

The continuous recitation of mantras is used in meditation and religious or ritual ceremonies. Some call chanting a primitive way of altering the consciousness and raising psychic power or energy. Others claim it connects them with the Divine. The derived psychical powers may be used for many purposes. Chanting, which is an ancient and universal practice, is usually done in accompaniment of drumming, hand-clapping, rattles and sometimes the use of other musical instruments. Such activity provide the emotional excitation to increase psychic power to a very intense level. This is especially true when chanting is done within a group. Sometimes the excitement builds so high that frenzied states of consciousness occur.

Advertisement