Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe stat question

• 05-03-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have a pipe stat (Schuller) fitted next to an oil boiler and set at 65 degrees. It was working fine 'till yesterday. The pump seems to kick in when the pipe with stat heats up, but just for a few seconds, once the pipe cools down the pump switches off, then repeats the process when the pipe heats up again, so obviously the rads. are not heating.
    Am I right in thinking that the stat is faulty, it was fitted less than a year ago.

Thanks. M.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Perhaps the pipe stat temp and boiler temp control are too closely coupled. It is strange that it has been working ok until now. You may have to get somebody out to check stat and pump. I don't like systems plumbed this way.
    You could try turning down the stat 10C temporally. I don't know exactly how your system is set-up and that is why I wrote temporally, until you have it looked over. It may be a broken stat or pump.

Someone else here may be able to give better advice on this.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭monseiur

Wearb wrote: »
    Perhaps the pipe stat temp and boiler temp control are too closely coupled. It is strange that it has been working ok until now. You may have to get somebody out to check stat and pump. I don't like systems plumbed this way.
    You could try turning down the stat 10C temporally. I don't know exactly how your system is set-up and that is why I wrote temporally, until you have it looked over. It may be a broken stat or pump.

Someone else here may be able to give better advice on this.

Thanks Wearb,
    Just to give you an idea of the set up : It's very basic, it's an open vented system, an indoor oil boiler, stat on flow pipe approx. 6 feet from boiler and set at 65 deg. when flow pipe heats up the circulating pump kicks in, pumps water through rads. etc etc. The problem is that the stat is knocking off the pump within seconds once the pipe cools down as water circulates.
    My guess it's faulty stat.
    Plumber unable to come to Saturday eve. Will try turning down stat as you suggested.
    I don't fully understand how the stat works as regards knocking off the circulating pump - Say the stat is set at 60 degrees, the pump kicks in, hot water circulates and the water obviously cools down. At what temperature is the stat designed to knock off the pump to allow water to heat up again and repeat process.
    Hope this is not a stupid question from a non plumber!
    Thanks,
    M.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

set the stat as low as 55, but don't go below

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭jimf

6 ft imho is too far from the boiler as well as the stat has to pick up the residual heat in the pipework to operate

I would think your stat is ok

Advertisement