Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What happened the Viking colony on Greenland... where did people go? Lost at sea? Returned to their homeland in dribs and drabs?
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-greenland-vikings-vanished-180962119/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There was a car discovered in the blackwater up around there last year....missing similar time frame

Two cars wasn't it?
    One was for some businessman missing since 1990 but it was empty and then one car which was reported missing a few days prior with a body inside.
    Can't remember fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Here's one from the Tinfoil Hat Department.

Was Avril Lavigne replaced by a robot? ������

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39921209

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Why was Newgrange built?

The Antikythera mechanism.

The Voynich Manuscript.

The WOW signal heard by SETI. What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Why does fair city constantly have car noise at every indoor scene. total mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

cranefly wrote: »
    Why does fair city constantly have car noise at every indoor scene. total mystery.

Its to hide the bad acting, which is pretty much in every scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fxotoole wrote: »

Replaced by a robot? You mean the original wasn't???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

Why was Newgrange built?

The Antikythera mechanism.

The Voynich Manuscript.

It was the nightclub of its day, think of a mini Vegas with no electricity, just the stars! trippy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sometimes the answer embarrassing.

http://www.nature.com/news/microwave-oven-blamed-for-radio-telescope-signals-1.17510
    After more than four years of searching, researchers using the Parkes radio telescope in New South Wales, Australia, have identified the source of some mysterious signals: a microwave oven in the facility’s break room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Especially when that's the answer to one signal picked up by a radio telescope but not the WOW signal .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

#NotMyAvril

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SPDUB wrote: »
    Especially when that's the answer to one signal picked up by a radio telescope but not the WOW signal .
    It took years and years to work out the microwave link.

If it's not repeatable it's not science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭SPDUB

It took years and years to work out the microwave link.

For that signal at that radio telescope which was in 1998

The WOW signal was at a different telescope in 1977
    If it's not repeatable it's not science.

That quote is for when you claim to explain a phenomenon but nobody else can repeat the work that you claim explains it

How it's supposed to apply to this situation where we noticed something but haven't been able to explain it I don't know .

The WOW signal was a once off event. 6 readings 12 seconds apart in a smooth amplitude curve. Either a local signal rising and falling or a remote signal being picked up as the scope moved. And todays electonic and computery kit is much better than 1977

At the other observatory perytons* occurred more than once and so could be traced.

* the name peryton was chosen from mythology to be unassociated with an exact physical phenomenon, due to the ambiguous origin of the detections. Perytons are winged elk that cast the shadow of a man[

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

The WOW signal was a once off event. 6 readings 12 seconds apart in a smooth amplitude curve. Either a local signal rising and falling or a remote signal being picked up as the scope moved. And todays electonic and computery kit is much better than 1977

At the other observatory perytons* occurred more than once and so could be traced.

* the name peryton was chosen from mythology to be unassociated with an exact physical phenomenon, due to the ambiguous origin of the detections. Perytons are winged elk that cast the shadow of a man[

You'd have thought that they would have been looking to rule out obvious interference or local phenomena in the wake of the WOW signal. I may have missed where the concensus is that this can be attributed to such mundane events as the movement of the scope. I'd have thought that such signals would be repeatable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Panrich wrote: »
    You'd have thought that they would have been looking to rule out obvious interference or local phenomena in the wake of the WOW signal. I may have missed where the concensus is that this can be attributed to such mundane events as the movement of the scope. I'd have thought that such signals would be repeatable too.

Coincidentally this popped up on google news this evening. Looks like the Wow! signal was caused by a hydrogen cloud accompanying a comet, a phenomenon that was only discovered 10 years ago. Experiments on comets between Nov 2016 and Feb 2017 show the same type of signature as seen in the Wow signal and it explains why it wasn't seen in the same spot again.

https://m.phys.org/news/2017-06-wow-mystery-space.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Why does Take-away rice block the dishwasher nozzels like some sort of exotic ceramic/Titanium alloy?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

So, are the aliens getting piggy-backs from comets, then?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Cervantes2 wrote: »

I'm skeptical that the people in the photo are Amelia and her navigator. It's almost impossible to make out their faces. Apparently they used facial matching software on the photo, but I don't see how they could done this if their faces are not easy to make out in the photo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm skeptical that the people in the photo are Amelia and her navigator. It's almost impossible to make out their faces. Apparently they used facial matching software on the photo, but I don't see how they could done this if their faces are not visible in the photo?

completely impossible given that one of them has their back to the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I'm skeptical that the people in the photo are Amelia and her navigator. It's almost impossible to make out their faces. Apparently they used facial matching software on the photo, but I don't see how they could done this if their faces are not visible in the photo?

There is a news video doing the rounds on Fb showing how they did the matching. Fred was "identified by his hairline and he is at least partly facing the camera. As for Amelia they looked at her profile and compared it to other photos of her.

The Japanese ship identified in the photo has been linked to the disappearance before and this particular theory has plenty of support, far more likely than tighar's claims to have found her on howland island.

Astonishing Legends did a very good podcast on her, going through all the theories and this was one they thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

LordSutch wrote: »
    I will always be curious about the 5% of UFO / Flying saucer stories that can't be explained.

I am not talking about the sensationalist stories that hit the front pages of the tabloids, but those few sightings that remain a mystery.

It's likely only 2%. The best cases are always the UFO's witnessed by pilots, military and seen on radar.

Rendelsam Forest UFO encounter still to this day, is one of the best. 30+ US military soldiers at the base and the deputy base commander of Nato- Nuclear base in the UK (1984) witnessed a craft, lights, beams coming to the ground, just outside the base. The deputy commander even recorded real time (voice) some of the events on hes tape recorder. This is real time , not after the fact years later.

Yes "X files" occurrences really do happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm skeptical that the people in the photo are Amelia and her navigator. It's almost impossible to make out their faces. Apparently they used facial matching software on the photo, but I don't see how they could done this if their faces are not easy to make out in the photo?

I'm more skeptical that it was produced by The History Channel. I suppose now that 2012 has past they need to turn their attention to something else.

As for mysteries, who the hell was Jack the Ripper?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

an update on this. It couldnt possibly be her. the picture was taken 2 years before she disappeared.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jul/11/blogger-discredits-claim-amelia-earhart-was-taken-prisoner-by-japan?CMP=share_btn_tw
    History Channel in crappy research shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It never made too much sense anyway. Why would the Japanese take her prisoner in 1937? What possible benefit could they have got from that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Ultimately historical accuracy is most important to us and our viewers," the channel said

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/07/amelia-earhart-lost-photograph-discredited-spd/

From the channel that brings you Ancient Aliens and Rapture nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Advertisement