Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my car" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

They'd certainly pass the NseaT :pac:

Are you taking sweets as payment now?? Will you do my brake pads for a bag of apple drops??

Make it black jacks and we have a deal:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Phew! Thank feck you didn't say Postman Pats :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

I didn't even see the amount of stuff in the bag until you left:eek:

Ah your welcome :)

Mental note = gearbox leak = 50 black jack bars.

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Mental note = gearbox leak = 50 black jack bars.

Bars me arse, the "penny sweet" jobbies are what he's after!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I wonder could i use crilly and ND as an example for my dissertation...."is bartering increasing in the recession". :D

• Advertisement

I wonder could i use crilly and ND as an example for my dissertation...."is bartering increasing in the recession". :D

Ah just something I learnt from the customers who graced the doors of my fathers own garage back in the day, the little old wans who brought in the goodies at christmas always got looked after :D

It doesn't cost much these days to thank somebody for when they have helped you out, to be honest, I am just happy my indicator bulb works again feck everything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

God damn it- all this early 90's bimmer chat and that lovely E30 is putting me right off offloading my 8er :)

E39MSport wrote: »
    God damn it- all this early 90's bimmer chat and that lovely E30 is putting me right off offloading my 8er :)
    Dont do it! I drove into work today purely because i was enjoying the drive so much this morning i normally park up and bus it half the way in. Falling in love with it all over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Gave her a bit of a wash

imagekzx.jpg

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Gave her a bit of a wash

From your bedroom?:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Changed rear discs and pads on almera,was cursing and blinding getting the pistons back in then said i'll check the haynes manual and realised they had to be twisted clockwise.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Thats a lovely garden! Some serious maintenance work there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I changed the battery in a suzuki ignis. The radio then needed the code entered which I did, but it comes up showing 'safe' ? What now?

I changed the battery in a suzuki ignis. The radio then needed the code entered which I did, but it comes up showing 'safe' ? What now?

Something like that used to happen with my Seat Leon. It used to come on after a couple of hours or something like that once you put in the code? I found the answer to it on Google eventually! I think if its stuck in safe mode you need to leave the radio on for as long as possible so it can reset itself.

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Something like that used to happen with my Seat Leon. It used to come on after a couple of hours or something like that once you put in the code? I found the answer to it on Google eventually! I think if its stuck in safe mode you need to leave the radio on for as long as possible so it can reset itself.

Cheers Mrs C, I'll try that.

Cheers Mrs C, I'll try that.

Do a search on Google and see what comes back. I think you had to leave the key in the ignition and it reset with an hour or something like that sorry was a good couple of years ago so cant really remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Finally got a chance to finish the HK amp wiring today.

DSC_0169.JPG

Put the back seats back in after redying them. Still need to do the passenger side part that's missing and 'door' card.
    DSC_0171.JPG

Installed the dice mediabridge and put the dashboard back together for hopefully the last time. Using my old front seats until I get the vaders done. Need to do the door card as well tonight or tomorrow hopefully.
    DSC_0168.JPG

Is that an E36 M3 Jer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Think I discovered why the previous owner of the M5 replace the clutch and flywheel and still sold it.

1st --> 2nd is becoming increasingly difficult which is not an uncommon problem. Will need new aftermarket fluids for a start to see if it helps.
    Ultimately looking at a tear down I think

(:p :pac: ... sorry, snappers forced me to add the smileys ...)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Is that an E36 M3 Jer?

318is. M3 engine some day. When I'm old enough to insure it.

• Advertisement

Did you enter the code only once? Safe normally means that the radio is locked, normally from entering the wrong code to many times.

Did you enter the code only once? Safe normally means that the radio is locked, normally from entering the wrong code to many times.

I entered it a few times but I think you get about 10 go's at it before it should lock.

I got this crazy idea into my head to clean my mothers car for her today as a mothers day present. I knew it was bad, she has never taken the car to be washed. Ever. Ever.

The paint work was rougher than Shirley Carter. I wasn't going to bother claying it as it would take to long and well I want to use it on my own car instead next weekend :P

before.jpg

before3.jpg

before1.jpg

before2.jpg

I washed it and detared the car, I used a bottle of tardis that I had, there was even tar on the rough lumps of it the car was in bits :eek:

I soaked the wheels for ages with the cleancar.ie wheel cleaner can't remember the name of it, it was not strong enough to shift the brake dust so I put some neat vehiclean on it and tackled them with a tooth brush and it came off no bother. (I did my own wheels as well, got a lot of the crap off but they are still in bits!)

during.jpg

I polished the car with super resin polish and it didn't really make one bit of difference you would need heavy duty polishing to sort it out and well it's my Mams car not really worth the bother :o It won't be washed again ever until I get annoyed looking at it!

I put on a coat of Chemical Guys Blackight and a coat of sealant on her wheels and some tyre dressing. The stuff I had was not strong enough to dress up the molding on the bumpers but my Dad said he would sort that out.

after4.jpg

after3.jpg

after2.jpg

after.jpg

Anyways it was a just for fun detail, I killed a colony of spiders that were living on the wing mirror, I feel kinda guilty about that. I reckon the dirt is what held that car together.

Mam is was delighted and she is dying to drive to work on Tuesday to show off her (semi) shiny new car. The thing would need a nuclear explosion to clear the crap from the paint!

And sure then I had to do my own :D

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

For shame, I have never used a glaze like Black Light before. Crilly - is it the same as a wax/polish in that you apply it, let if haze and then buff it off?

Excellent job by the way :D

For shame, I have never used a glaze like Black Light before. Crilly - is it the same as a wax/polish in that you apply it, let if haze and then buff it off?

Excellent job by the way :D

Yup same as a wax or polish just put it on with an applicator by hand and then leave it for around 20 mins and then take off.

Have cup of tea and repeat if necessary :D

This one is also realy nice and simples to use:

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemicalguys-blitzacrylicspraysealant.html

I went cleaning my wheels for the last few hours, I've never seen such dirty wheels, the spokes are perfect, just towards the inside they're all baked in brake dust. I've managed to get most of it off now,

Then I went looking in the boot, the spare wheel and jack werent in right, figured out how everythings stored, now it's all nice and neat. I also discovered I have room for my socket set between the spare wheel and the carpet :-)

I also discovered the electric steering wheel adjustment has an AUTO setting, which pulls it back and lifts it up when you take the key out, never knew that was there

I'll go back to the car later, but the house is in a bit of a mess and herself will throw me out if I don't tidy a few things up

Also on a more alarming note, I tried taking one of the wheels off to clean it properly, The locking wheel nut adaptor is all worn, so if i get a puncture, I'm screwed,

There's a number on the nut, hopefully I can order a replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I went cleaning my wheels for the last few hours, I've never seen such dirty wheels, the spokes are perfect, just towards the inside they're all baked in brake dust. I've managed to get most of it off now

These two products are pretty good for cleaning wheels:

- Iron Cleanse

- IronX

Thanks, they're 90% there now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Thanks, they're 90% there now

Don't forget to polish & seal them after using the wheel cleaners. In fact for really ground in stuff also look at
    - IronX Paste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Colm bate a socket a small bit bigger than it over it.

if all else fails go into Victory Tyres in Limerick, he charges about a tenner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement