Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next for Dunne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,486 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Next for Dunne?

I'd say a party and a few days off.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

He shouldnt go chasing other champions yet. He has upped his level now and shoudl get comfortable at it. Make some voluntary defences before going after mandatory challengers or fellow champions.

EDIT: And of course some major partying, celebrating and chilling out. Would like to see him back in the ring late summer, give the cuts time to heal etc and hold on to the title for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Martinez rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I wouldn't mind him shutting Frank Maloney up by beating his charge Rendall Munroe. All the English boxing fans were touting Munroe to easily beat Bernard but most of them seem to have gone quiet after tonight. Munroe is ranked 4th by the WBA so it would be a good defence and against a man who has beaten Martinez twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Martinez rematch?

Martinez isn't even in the picture, nor should he be.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Martinez s isn't even in the picture, nor should he be.

He was ranked #13 by the WBA before his recent second loss to Munroe, so he may still be(just) in the picture but he'll probably go out of the rankings.

He wouldn't deserve a shot at all, but Dunne does have a score to settle with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭walshb

My view is for Dunne to make hay while the sun shines. Take it easy and get some easy defences if you can. I am still very very unsure
    about his punch resistance. Cordoba isn't a heavy puncher and Dunne was hurt so many times.

I can't believe I am saying this, but Bernard, go make one or two easy
    defences, make a mint and get out healthy. You have nothing
    tp prove and in against a puncher could be very dangerous.

I would love to see Bernard avenge the Kiko fight, but it's still
    a massive risk. Ther are many in the 122 lb division that
    are simply too heavy handed and strong.

Kiko is at least a couple of fights down the line. I think Dunnes confidence will go up with this win and rightly so. Kiko would need a couple of wins before being considered and you couldnt hype the fight now with his current form. Dunne should get a few defences in first, Munroe being a good pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Hopefully Rendall Munroe

McCullough has said he wants to fight Dunne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭enviro

joepenguin wrote: »
    McCullough has said he wants to fight Dunne.

Is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Mc Cullough - IMO no chance

http://www.boxrec.com/ratings.php?country=&sex=m&division=Super+Bantamweight&status=A&SUBMIT=Go

how good does that look - ranked above Ponce De Leon who I think Bernard should fight next, I hope he leaves European boxers out and sticks with the big names. I think Munroe or Martinez would be a step backwards

Wayne is a disgrace to be still trying to shove himself
    in the ring. Ponce is simply too hard for Bernard. I say take
    it easy and go for an easy few wins.

The guys rated below Dunne, some are very good.
    He has options, use them and make the dough Bernard!

Kiko is 42?? That's mad. I know he lost twice to Munroe, but
    to be that far behind a guy you KO'd. It's mad, so
    many rating differences. Lets all use 1 and stick to
    that
    http://www.iboboxing.com/rankings/122.html

Bernard needs moving up, Cordoba down and that's a better rate system IMO
    You may be criticised for making easy defences, but it's the smart move.

If Dunne meets and beats KIko, I will retire and will forever
    applaud Dunne. Go get him Bernard and do it!

He should go after Rendall Munroe and then Mayhar Monshipour if the Frenchman can manage to get himself back in the European rankings.
    I know people don't want Europeans but they would be more than reasonable defences.

yeah boxrec, ibo or ring. they even differ from one to the next but are more spot on then any of the orgs. Bernard and co should look to keep improving, train like that everytime and improve every fight now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

joepenguin wrote: »
    Bernard and co should look to keep improving, train like that everytime and improve every fight now

Agreed - And I think only a big American name can do it for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Aaron M

Dunne was excellent last night, but I think a bit of perspective is needed here. People are suggesting he fight the likes of Lopez and Ponce De Leon! Those guys are monsters with seriously frightening punch power. They would destroy Dunne and possibly seriously hurt him as well. He needs to stay well clear of those guys. They're just too powerful. If Cordoba had Dunne down twice, what do you think those guys would do to him!?

Dunne showed real guts and heart last night, but that will only take you so far when it comes to guys who can genuinely bang at world level.

Aaron M wrote: »
    Dunne was excellent last night, but I think a bit of perspective is needed here. People are suggesting he fight the likes of Lopez and Ponce De Leon! Those guys are monsters with seriously frightening punch power. They would destroy Dunne and possibly seriously hurt him as well. He needs to stay well clear of those guys. They're just too powerful. If Cordoba had Dunne down twice, what do you think those guys would do to him!?

Dunne showed real guts and heart last night, but that will only take you so far when it comes to guys who can genuinely bang at world level.

Exactly my thoughts and it's clear from the evidence last night.
    Too many shaky moments against Cordoba. Imagine a banger in there
    with more accuracy. I don't want to see Dunne suffer and I believe
    he will NOT be meeting those guys. Bernard's team know his limits

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

TLG wrote: »
    Dunne is now a super bantamweight champion!!!!

Here is another one; Juan Manuel Lopez, 24-0, 22KO, maybe Dunne will fight him in the future:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaNAzF0kr0M&fmt=22

Now that he is past Cordoba, Dunne is close to fighting the top of the division!! How will Dunne fare against the top of the division?

Boxrec super bantamweight rankings:
    http://www.boxrec.com/ratings.php?sex=m&division=Super%20Bantamweight

The Ring super bantamweight rankings:
    http://www.ringtv.com/ratings/jr_featherweight

Who will he fight next?

Dunne against Lopez is insane man, Lopez would KO Dunne first round I'd bet my house on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

What about kimura of japan or the italian maludrottu (not big hitters)and do you think dunne will fight in the challengers country, the way cordoba came to fight here??

• Advertisement

matty84 wrote: »
    What about kimura of japan or the italian maludrottu (not big hitters)and do you think dunne will fight in the challengers country, the way cordoba came to fight here??

Not a hope he'll travel. This is all about business and money and he'd be
    mad to travel. Dunne is now guaranteed big big bucks here.

He should, and I think will, take on one or two "easier" opponents.
    It's far too risky meeting top 5 men and a lot of those
    below him are very very bad for him.

Keep well away from hitters!

He and his team should be very selective and to be honest, they
    have had plenty of practice.

For once, I will encourage them to be selective. Only take
    the "dangerous" fights when forced to!

Why would Dunne fight away from Ireland for small money ?

Maludrottu would be an easy defence for me, and a kind of respectable one but I don't think it's ambitious enough. He may aswell take on Munroe.

What's the official stance on it all?

Okay, I assume his first defence can be voluntary; when does he have to meet
    a mandatory or really rated guy?

What's the time frame?

Can he even side step this mandatory? Or would that result in
    him being stripped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Big Ears wrote: »
    Why would Dunne fight away from Ireland for small money ?

Maludrottu would be an easy defence for me, and a kind of respectable one but I don't think it's ambitious enough. He may aswell take on Munroe.

Well if he was to take on munroe do you reckon he'd have the balls to fight him in england as id say there wouldnt be much a difference in fight earnings if he was to box over there instead of here??

And i would really fear for dunne if he was to fight this guy:eek:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1376407/07_june_2008_ponce_de_leon_vs_juan_manuel_lopez_rd_1/

walshb wrote: »
    What's the official stance on it all?

Okay, I assume his first defence can be voluntary; when does he have to meet
    a mandatory or really rated guy?

What's the time frame?

Can he even side step this mandatory? Or would that result in
    him being stripped?

If regulations are followed correctly he must make a mandatory within 7 months I believe(9 months from when Cordoba won the title). He must make a mandatory defence every 9 months unless he's injured.

His mandatory will likely be Poonsawat Kratingdaenggym, the fighter who Cordoba lost a split decision to in Thailand.

He can have as many voluntaries as he wants in the mean time, however considering his cuts that'll probably be one.

It wouldn't be surprising if Dunne didn't have to defend against his mandatory till a little later though, the sanctioning bodies(bar the IBF) aren't always fickle about enforcing mandatories unless it suits them. So he may get longer than 7 months.

If he doesn't defend against a mandatory when stipulated and hasn't suffered an injury he would be stripped of his title.

If he successfully defends his title in a mandatory defence he would be scheduled to face the WBA Super-Champion(presently Celestino Caballero) before his next mandatory after that arises.
    Well if he was to take on munroe do you reckon he'd have the balls to fight him in england as id say there wouldnt be much a difference in fight earnings if he was to box over there instead of here??

And i would really fear for dunne if he was to fight this guy:eek:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1376407/07_june_2008_ponce_de_leon_vs_juan_manuel_lopez_rd_1/

What !, ?

You do know Munroe fights in leisure centres and only on Friday Fight Night on Sky ?

He doesn't generate anymore cash than a British champion would and there's no way that fight would make as much money in England.
    There isn't one fight where Dunne could make more money in another country.

Hence it makes sense to make all of his defences in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

I think this guy http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=272757&cat=boxer should be dunnes first defence , can't get the wba rankings on net but i'm sure he up high enough as he has a minor wba belt.

jayroyal wrote: »
    I think this guy http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=272757&cat=boxer should be dunnes first defence , can't get the wba rankings on net but i'm sure he up high enough as he has a minor wba belt.

He's 3rd and a good option for a reasonable defence.
    He was scheduled to face Steve Molitor in a defence of Molitor's IBF title until he ****ed up by drawing with Garcia.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭jayroyal

Big Ears wrote: »
    He's 3rd and a good option for a reasonable defence.
    He was scheduled to face Steve Molitor in a defence of Molitor's IBF title until he ****ed up by drawing with Garcia.

have u a link for the wba rankings, i think it would be a good defence public wise as he unbeaten and not a big puncher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'd love to see him challenge all comers but you've got to be realistic here. He'll should get a few easy defences under his belt before he takes on any of the top boys. There's a few up there I thinnk he'd take, Molitor being one. Similar boxing skills and neither a big hitter, but if you watch Dunne v Cordoba and Molitor v Caballero there's a huge difference in heart, dermination and stamina.
    Also, all fights will be in Ireland, without doubt. The only pity is this division doesn't have any household names the general public know, otherise he could fill an outdoor stadium.

• Advertisement

jayroyal wrote: »
    have u a link for the wba rankings, i think it would be a good defence public wise as he unbeaten and not a big puncher.

1. Poonsawat Kratingdaeng
    2. Rafael Marquez
    3. Olivier Lontchi
    4. Rendall Munroe
    5. Antonio Escalante
    6. Jorge Lacierva
    7. Rafael Hernandez
    8. Kazuma Miura
    9. Akifumi Shimoda
    10. Wilfredo Vasquez Jr.
    11. Bernard Dunne
    12. Jeffrey Mathebula
    13. Kiko Martinez
    14. Zsolt Bedak
    15. Heriberto Ruiz

Taken from Fightnews, the WBA don't have a website at the moment as they're selling their old domain name.

Heriberto Ruiz won this weekend aswell against Mauricio Martinez so he'll possibly go up a few places.

Vasquez jnr defended a WBA regional title last week aswell so he might move up too.

Mathebula fights Caballero next as IBF mandatory,so remove him from the rankings.

Miura lost to Kimura, so Kimura will probably enter the rankings and Miura exit.

Advertisement