Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunday Business Post on Laptops. No, seriously.

Options
  • 23-09-2007 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone read the section in today's Sunday Business Post on laptops?

Here are a few classic snippets from it:

When explaining about memory in a laptop -
    The importance of RAM memory is that it gives a mixture of speed and power to run the computer and complete tasks quickly
    2Gb of RAM is extra powerful

When talking about hard-drive space -
    A new laptop should have at least 120Gb.... if that sounds like a lot, remember the latest tiny iPod now offers 160Gb of space, so your laptop should come close to matching that

On DVD drives -
    While few people seem to use a DVD burner, it's handy to have

On laptop weight, talking about smaller laptops -
    They are also a little more feature-poor, as it's not physically possible to fit more than 1Gb of RAM or 100Gb of a hard drive into it (never mind a recordable DVD)

And so it goes on. The one glaring omission in "the most important things to look for in a laptop" is any mention of the processor, or even Wifi.

And to think people might actually use this guide to make a purchase. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I seen it Tom but I didn't bother to read it but I'm tempted to now after reading that. I wonder who they get to write these articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I seen it Tom but I didn't bother to read it but I'm tempted to now after reading that. I wonder who they get to write these articles.

This clown.

I look forward to his upcoming piece on home laptops.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tom dunne wrote:
    This clown.

I look forward to his upcoming piece on home laptops.
    Less than 3 per cent of Boards.ie heads say they can't access broadband

He does realise that people without broadband aren't likely to be spending alot of time on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

He does realise that people without broadband aren't likely to be spending alot of time on boards.

He doesn't, no.

The monthly "Computers in business" from the same paper is a hoot to read. It displays a depth of knowledge that is comparable to first-year Computer Science students, and I know, I read a lot by the latter.

tom dunne wrote:
    The monthly "Computers in business" from the same paper is a hoot to read. It displays a depth of knowledge that is comparable to first-year Computer Science students, and I know, I read a lot by the latter.

I used to always look forward to that but I haven't read it in a while unfortunately. It always give me a good sunday morning (unintentional) larf. The piss take thing at the end of it was usually (intentionally) funny too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tom dunne wrote:
    This clown.
    My name is Dave and I'm a technophobe

Picture_25 Dave Fanning? A technophobe? Surely not.
    Are we talking about the same Dave "I been a DJ since the 1970's and still can't push the right button" Fanning ? :D
    “The fact that so many new things are not compatible with products out before, there is definitely a world wide scam going on, no doubt. Everything has built-in obsolesence. Whether it's iPods or computer gear, there's so much stuff that's meant to break after a certain amount of time, I really believe that."
    So in fairness Dave's seems to be more clued in than yer man.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very poorly written article, very disappointing

will the sbpost please update there website, the site still has a countdown clock to the election!

Advertisement