Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PAYE workers facing €3,000 tax hit after Budget

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..on top of rates for local business too, remember, local councils are hiking rates and charges up and up to keep things 'normal' for themselves.

I don't know how anyone can survive in a small retail\business at this time.

Exactly, it's disgusting, a lot of the cafes I used to eat at in Dublin near my workplace in the city centre, are now closed apparently, and I've only been away not even 2 years. The gov should be doing whatever they can to keep these places going. To rent isn't far off London prices in Dublin at the moment, I still keep track of them from mover here, and I'm renting my own place here that wouldn't be much cheaper in Dublin. I can't see how the country is going to go on like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How is anyone supposed to run a business in this country when you have reports like this frightening the life out of a large portion of the population who will now be even more reluctant to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Valetta wrote: »
    And this is why other taxes will be increased.

Yes, because the majority are weak and will pay any tax imposed on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Hippies! wrote: »
    Yes, because the majority are weak and will pay any tax imposed on them.

I think you'll find it's because the government need to raise a certain amount of money through taxes, and if people refuse to pay one then others will have to be increased to compensate.

It's got nothing to do with people being weak. That's just populist nonsense.

I think you'll find it's because the government need to raise a certain amount of money through taxes, and if people refuse to pay one then others will have to be increased to compensate.

Keep telling yourself that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Yes, because the majority are weak law-abiding and will pay any tax imposed on them.

fyp

Reloc8 wrote: »
    fyp

Ah you're great altogether :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Canada in 2013 I think

good luck with that... month to month bills in Ontario make ireland look cheap...:( cost of living there seems cheaper on a day to day basis... cost of food, gas etc... but you will be nailed in taxes and bills

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

If PRSI remains at 4% this will have very little impact for me. Single, don't own my own home, don't own a car, pension contributions non existent at the moment, have no other income outside of schedule E.

So the only impact it should have on me is the 1% increase in the top end of USC.
    And this top end is not the real top end, after 100k it's 10%, I assume this will increase also.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How is anyone supposed to run a business in this country when you have reports like this frightening the life out of a large portion of the population who will now be even more reluctant to spend.

If they don't re-introduce breaks taken from startup businesses in the coming budget, we will not see recovery in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

And this is why other taxes will be increased.

Divide et impera...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Or, you know, they could find the money elsewhere. I'm sure it will be painful for some county counselors to forego the opportunity to attend that conference on 'low cost local government' .....that's being held in Sun City South Africa this year, but times are hard. Still, they will have their increments to keep them warm!

Before this government dip their hand in my pocket yet again, I suggest that they first stop pissing the money that I already give the government against the wall, once they've done that THEN they can come back to me and we can have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Canada in 2013 I think
    Property tax in canada is a lot higher than they are proposing here. In my home town average property tax for 3 bed house is 3-4000 dollars a year. Personal income tax is higher as well. to rent a house in my home town you are looking at 2500-3000 dollars a month for a average 3 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Property tax in canada is a lot higher than they are proposing here. In my home town average property tax for 3 bed house is 3-4000 dollars a year. Personal income tax is higher as well. to rent a house in my home town you are looking at 2500-3000 dollars a month for a average 3 bed house.

And what local services do you get for your property tax?

How much is stamp/transaction tax in Canada?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

That's a pretty misleading "report".

The headline is 3,000 but 2,520 of this will be for people paying 12000 a year into a pension. Don't think too many are doing that.

Sounds more like it was prompted by the pensions industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

This sort of Kite Flying & private reports should be a criminal offence and fines dished out.
    This sort of stuff is closing down struggling businesses across the country as those who can afford to spend a few bob before the budget will refuse to spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    And what local services do you get for your property tax?

How much is stamp/transaction tax in Canada?

It would cover most of your services, bin charges, schools, road maint/snow removal. Some towns it covers water but some have water meters. There is no stamp duty. You have to pay 12% sales tax on everything and is not included on the sticker price, so the price you see on the tag isn't the price you pay if you get what i mean. you pay tax on used vehicles as well. No road tax, its built into the price of petrol/diesel so the more you use the more you pay (the way it should be here). Don't get me wrong, its a great place to live and work but don't think you'll go over there and get rich in a couple years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

bhamsteve wrote: »
    Public Sector bashing to begin in 10, 9, 8, 7............
    THEY NEED TO BE BASHED ..IT IS PERFECTLY JUSTIFIED

INFACT WE NEED A CULL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Ummm, a lot of people haven't paid the "household charge"
    Not everyone is taking this lying down.

Hence the problem....I think a few too many Did take it lying down. If everyone had stuck together,things may be different by now.

Advertisement