Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

pike fishing the river suck

Options
  • 05-11-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

hi, i was just wondering if anyone is catching pike in the suck this year, i have been fishing around the ballygar and castlecoote area, not getting any bites at all, im trying dead bait, lures, spinners and fly fishing for pike with no luck. just wondering if anyone else is having better luck. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Got plenty fish on all methods mentioned last year but have not fished it this year. Ballyforan is not fishing as good as it used to since they put in the boat ramp but Mount Talbot and Athleague usually fish well.
    Its a pity water is so high id of liked to give it a go over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Had a barren yaar but only went a few times usually when the sun was high in the sky hardly ideal conditions.
    The water levels now are very high we need 2 weeks of frost might be able to get within 50 metres of the river down my side Ballinasloe area

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dd2283

thanks for the replys, it was very high when i fished it, hopefully the levels will keep dropping. i might give it another go at the weekend. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Lads I am thinking of giving it a go this saturday. Can anybody recommend a mark (pls PM me a location that I can easily find as I come from Dublin).
    Respectful angler here, fish will go back to water.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Lads I am thinking of giving it a go this saturday. Can anybody recommend a mark (pls PM me a location that I can easily find as I come from Dublin).
    Respectful angler here, fish will go back to water.
    cheers

Not trying to put you off but its a hard river to fish when high.

As the river course is so flat it floods very easily and more heavy rain promised friday so id leave it.

Like where id normally fish is fine when its low nice pools between good fastish flows of water lots of trees in the water and easy spot where potential fish would be.
    With the higher water you cant see the snags as well and even getting close to the bank can be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Not trying to put you off but its a hard river to fish when high.

As the river course is so flat it floods very easily and more heavy rain promised friday so id leave it.

Like where id normally fish is fine when its low nice pools between good fastish flows of water lots of trees in the water and easy spot where potential fish would be.
    With the higher water you cant see the snags as well and even getting close to the bank can be difficult.

Thanks for the warning. I will avoid it this time.

Advertisement