Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laptop help!!!

• 28-09-2007 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭

I decided to reinstall windows on my laptop as it was full of crap! I stuck in my windows cd deleted the windows partition and before i could create a new one it turned off! And keeps turning off around the same area! Any suggestions to what this could be? Dodgy cd maybe ? (its an origianl oem) The laptop is a medion and i've never had problems like this before!? And its after staying on for a good while beside me in the bios so maybe it is the cd?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try making a small partition on the disk , copy the cd stuff to it, and run setup from there, worked for me last time i had a similaer problem with a laptop.
    The setup.exe you need is not the one you see when you browse the cd , is buried in one of the folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

bushy... wrote:
    Try making a small partition on the disk , copy the cd stuff to it, and run setup from there, worked for me last time i had a similaer problem with a laptop.
    The setup.exe you need is not the one you see when you browse the cd , is buried in one of the folders.

Thanks for the reply
    on what, the hard disk? how can i do that, i don't have an os!! It could be my cd drive, i havent used it in a good while so i wouldn't have noticed if it was wrecked? Just tried a "borrowed" copy of xp pro taught i was out of the wood as it seemed to get much further but no.. did the same thing while formating the drive. I'm trying a ubuntu live cd to see how i get on with that... could i use an external hard drive to setup things if my cd drive is gone?

EDIT: It has to be my cd drive, it was sitting on "ntrld missing" for a good while and as soon as i stuck in the ubuntu cd it died. Its pluged in to the and im pretty sure its not the charger

EDIT EDIT: Trying to install linux , full of errors! It got to the boot options, didnt get much further. same error about "buffer IO sr0 " not being readable(or something to that nature) quick google search it would appear sr0 is a cd drive? correct me if im wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Remove the battery. Run the laptop directly on AC power. Go into bios and set failsafe defaults. Set to boot from CD-ROM restart and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers mate! so far so go good , its well on its way to setting up windows(finishedthe initial blue screen install). Is my battery dead so? I really appreciate the advice thank you!

Advertisement