Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

group SMS services (eg for schools)

• 18-10-2012 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

The parents association at our local national school has been setup recently and someone suggested the group investigating cheap (if not free) group SMS services for sending out occasional alerts about upcoming meetings and events, etc.
    The school would have 85 or so households and at most 100 txts to be sent out at one time (probably < 10 texts per year).

I saw a mention of one service on schooldays.ie which is 4c per message.
    I've seen sites around the internet which claim to send free texts to Ireland numbers but I'm wary of them (probably on the basis of there never being a free "lunch" :) )

Anyone here know the current lie of the land with regard to reliable group SMS services suitable for schools / small clubs, etc ?

-ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

If your with vodafone you get 600 free webtexts a month. you can send texts up 5 people at a time from the people on your list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

You can also get various smartphone apps which will automatically connect to the internet, and use your webtexts in a more streamlined way - It's just like writing a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Having tried a few, I use webtext.com and highly recommend them . It implements well with facility admin for secondary schools, but has also has a great website interface too.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Many thanks for the recommendation Qwerty !

-ifc

Advertisement