Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I never wasted too much time on the Drakes, they're tough enemies but easy enough to avoid so don't engage them unless you're stuck in a corner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

This ****ing game... It really tests me

dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Grimebox wrote: »
    This ****ing game... It really tests me

dark_soulss_by_alo81-d6nrmkr.gif

thats a kind death in this game :pac:, there is literally a bonfire around the corner behind you almost, ok theres an NPC invasion to deal with if human but still there is nothing stopping you getting those lost souls back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Is this good for the casual gamer? Spent around 300 hours on Skyrim and loved it, is it similar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's similar to skyrim in the same way that mila kunis is similar to beth ditto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

just bought this again on steam for 7.49€.Had it for the ps3 but that has since died.

So instead of joypads being bounced of walls its gonna be a keyboard this time around:pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

returnNull wrote: »
    just bought this again on steam for 7.49€.Had it for the ps3 but that has since died.

So instead of joypads being bounced of walls its gonna be a keyboard this time around:pac:

Supposed to be a nightmare to play with a keyboard.

have a 360 pad handy so will give that ago if the keyboard is unuaseable

don't forget to use dsfix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

returnNull wrote: »
    have a 360 pad handy so will give that ago if the keyboard is unuaseable

Joypad and dsfix are essential!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

DSCFix is also essential for co-op with your friends. Instant summoning with mates rather than potentially 90 minutes of continuous *Summoning Failed*.

presume I go with the latest dsfix 2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

DSCFix is also essential for co-op with your friends. Instant summoning with mates rather than potentially 90 minutes of continuous *Summoning Failed*.

Only problem i found with Dscfix was i got more "failed" with random invasions. A few of the others on the wiki agreed with me.

There's an FC that's going every saturday night with the darksouls wiki if anyones interested, just look up the PC forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

Just come to the last boss fight but before going on I know it's advised you finish all the quest lines for slabs and take out the NPC's for valuables and humanities. Then ramp up the weapons/armour you want to the max before going NG+. However it's a bit boring traipsing through some of the areas again.

I never went to the Hollows/Ash LAke/Painted World either.

My intention in NG+ is just to open areas and play some pvp (never a big pvp fan because I'm generally **** however I'm handing most invaders their asses which is really quite enjoyable so i'm going to give it a shot)

Then I'm going to start a new characterbuild, which is what I'm really looking forward to

Thoughts on whether I should do the cleaning up or just advance?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this good for the casual gamer? Spent around 300 hours on Skyrim and loved it, is it similar?

It's not really much like Skyrim at all, there's not much in the way of a storyline and pretty much every area in the game is hostile, so very little in the way of chatting to NPCs, but if you stick with it you'll find it just as good. Don't be afraid to use wikis and that if you're finding it too frustrating at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

it's similar to skyrim in the same way that mila kunis is similar to beth ditto

Video-Games-meme-how-i-felt-after-skyrim-how-i-felt-after-dark-souls.jpg

This is my favourite game without a shadow of a doubt. I can't help myself replaying it over and over. I'm on NG+++ with my pyro/DEX build, and NG+ with FTH, INT, and STR builds. I love the fact that it's nigh impossible to overcome the difficulty without keeping your cool and being patient.

For those of ye thinking the story is a little thin, it's sort of hidden and if you want it, you have to work hard for it. This guy on Youtube has incredible videos that detail the hidden lore of Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

GK1001 wrote: »
    snip....

I never went to the Hollows/Ash LAke/Painted World either.

..........snip

:eek: Get your ass to the painted world, its arguably the best area in the entire game. No lies.

Only problem i found with Dscfix was i got more "failed" with random invasions. A few of the others on the wiki agreed with me.

There's an FC that's going every saturday night with the darksouls wiki if anyones interested, just look up the PC forum.

I'v never had issues with Invasions or being Invaded while using DSCFix. That could just be more so to do with ports and firewalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Grimebox wrote: »
    I haven't touched this game since I got to the valley of the drakes. I'll give it another shot. How are you supposed to take on the small dragons? Arrows slowly kills them but thats boring as hell. I got killed almost instantly other wise. Their attacks took away too much stamina when blocked

Don;t bother killing them until later in the ga,e. There is literally no point in eliminating them - go a different direction if you want to progress the story...

Danonino. wrote: »
    :eek: Get your ass to the painted world, its arguably the best area in the entire game. No lies.

And the worst area in the entire game when you go down the well! Make sure you get Havel's set from the hidden wall behind the fireplace near the bonfire in the part of Anor Londo with all the silver knights - trust me, you'll need the high poise! If you got the Ring of Fog from the Cat Covenant too you'll be flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Ash Lake is probably my favorite place in the entire game. When i first walked out of the tree and the haunting music started playing i was just in awe. Maybe cause its the only area in the game where music is played and that had an impact on me. Dark Souls in some ways reminds me of World of Warcraft (first MMO) with visiting the different areas and just being a "tourist" in the game is a real treat. Gameplay wise Ash Lake is actually one of the worst since there is almost nothing to do there at all.

Also love Izalith with its Khmer influenced architecture. Dark Souls 2 cant come soon enough

i hated ash lake, mainly because I had to go through the hollow to get there and every time i'm so unbelievably pissed off by the time I reach the lake that I just want to hurt something.. AND THERE'S ****ING NOTHING THERE

The epic part about Ash Lake is that every tree you see in the distance (which looks like there is hundreds) are all worlds above them, different from Lordran. It really hits home that even in Lordran, with all what is going on, is just one part of many, many worlds and makes you almost feel insignificant in the grand scheme of the game.

i never copped that

guess it's time for another playthrough

i hated ash lake, mainly because I had to go through the hollow to get there and every time i'm so unbelievably pissed off by the time I reach the lake that I just want to hurt something.. AND THERE'S ****ING NOTHING THERE

It's really easy to farm Twinkling Titanite from the Man Eater Shells to upgrade some unique equipment early on though (for my mage build, getting the Crimson Gear to +5 in a place where invasion isn't allowed let me ruin the early invaders in the Burg)

It's speculated that this is how NPC's such as Shiva of the East, Siegmeyer of Catarina, Knights of Berenike etc travel to Lordran. From going from one tree to another.

Not all of the worlds are cursed with the Darksign or have Undead. I think Catarina in general doesn't have any problems with the curse, but Siegmeyer does get cursed and heads to Lordran. His daughter in the game, Sieglinde of Catarina, isn't cursed at all and only just searching for her father.

It's really easy to farm Twinkling Titanite from the Man Eater Shells to upgrade some unique equipment early on though (for my mage build, getting the Crimson Gear to +5 in a place where invasion isn't allowed let me ruin the early invaders in the Burg)

To note though, It's a rarer drop from them in Ash Lake, you get very high rate of drop in Crystal Cave although I know it's alot further in the game. If I want twinkling titinate early on I just give Snuggly some moss and go for the crystal lizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Yeah crystal cave is the place, good drop rate and if you kill seath, it's a short trip. You've also got the giant blacksmith selling them at 8k a pop. You'll get a good few and a good chance of a titanite slab drop in the great hollow, if you use the reload trick on all the geckos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

The epic part about Ash Lake is that every tree you see in the distance (which looks like there is hundreds) are all worlds above them, different from Lordran. It really hits home that even in Lordran, with all what is going on, is just one part of many, many worlds and makes you almost feel insignificant in the grand scheme of the game.

Where'd you pull that from??? There is a tree but Lordran is by itself on top of the walls etc. It could easily just be a sea. I prefer the theory that Dark SOuls is connected to Demon's souls and Lordran is the land of giants

Advertisement