Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IEC Visa Refusal

Options
  • 28-01-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi,

Thought I would set up a seperate thread for the refusal of IEC visa application so people can share their story on tha matter. I was refused yesterday and I'm at a loss as to why..

I can't find out until they return my application which could take weeks as they are posting it to Toronto where I currently live! I have attached the e-mail they sent me below:

Hello Mr. xxx,
    We have examined your application to participate in the 2011 Canada- Working Holiday category of the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative.
    Unfortunately, at this point we cannot accept your application as certain requisite information and/or documents are missing or are not in compliance with our requirements.
    Your application is being returned to you by post, accompanied by a checklist indicating the missing and/or non-compliant elements. Please wait until you receive our explanation before submitting a new application.
    If places are still available, you may re-apply by downloading a new application kit. You must not reuse the same IEC application form because it was assigned a number associated with your denied application.
    Please be sure that your new application contains all the required documents and information.
    Sincerely,
    Youth Mobility Unit | Unité Mobilité des Jeunes
    Embassy of Canada in France | Ambassade du Canada en France
    www.amb-canada.fr/iec | www.amb-canada.fr/eic

If anyone has any further information or feedback on this matter please let me know? I would like to ehar if you have been rejected also so we might be able to suss out what we did wrong!

Here are the reasons I think I may have been refused:

1) I have had a student visa and an U35 visa in the past. This visa is supposed to be brand new but maybe they rejected me because of this!

2) I included a scanned copy of my recent police cert (obtained Jan 2011). It said on the website that they would request originals if they felt they needed to see it so I thought this was fine and have heard of lots of people doing the same!

My application was checked really carefully and approved by my lawyer also so I'm sure there were no documents missing from it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

From the info you gave here I'd guess it was the scanned police cert that caused the problem. Nothing on the website states that they are willing to accept a copy.

I also sent a photocopy because I already sent the original to usit last year and didn't have time to obtain a new one. I'll just need to wait and see if it causes a problem for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    From the info you gave here I'd guess it was the scanned police cert that caused the problem. Nothing on the website states that they are willing to accept a copy.

I also sent a photocopy because I already sent the original to usit last year and didn't have time to obtain a new one. I'll just need to wait and see if it causes a problem for me too.

It doesn't say they won't accept it either but they do say photocopies are fine which I'm sure covers off scanned also? Or is there a difference? I'm not sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Zodiac2000

I was told by goforless.ie that a second year applicant does not need to submit a Garda Certificate again. That would make more sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wunderkind

Hi there,

It actually does say directly in the application package (albeit in fine print) that photocopies of originals are acceptable, and that they do not have to be certified copies:

"All photocopies must be legible. They do not need to be certified or notarised."

The application package also states that, "the Embassy of Canada in France and the High Commission of Canada in the UK reserve the right to request additional supporting documents and/or proceed with additional verifications (i.e.: request original documents....)."

So, I'd say it's doubtful that the use of a scanned or photocopied Garda certificate would lead to the refusal of an application. Who knows, though. Immigration officials are finicky folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Wunderkind

Zodiac2000 wrote: »
    I was told by goforless.ie that a second year applicant does not need to submit a Garda Certificate again. That would make more sense to me.

You do need to submit a new one if there's any chance that the validity of the Garda certificate would expire during the period of time in which your visa application is being assessed. Garda certificates are normally only valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Zodiac2000

Wunderkind wrote: »
    You do need to submit a new one if there's any chance that the validity of the Garda certificate would expire during the period of time in which your visa application is being assessed. Garda certificates are normally only valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Only passing on the information i was told.

I think the Garda Certs are valid for three years.

Zodiac2000 wrote: »
    I think the Garda Certs are valid for three years.

They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

valid for 3 months, unless you have not been resident in Ireland since it was issued, I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 17 L_E_M

Hi Jimmy - My application is very similar to yours, here on the under 35 visa and submitted a copy of my Garda cert that I sent in last May with a letter attached saying I had already given them the original with my application.

Just wondering when abouts you posted in your application or when you received the email saying they had received it in the embasy?

Just want an idea of whether or not I should be heading off to get some more passport photos for my second application!! Thanks!

L_E_M wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy - My application is very similar to yours, here on the under 35 visa and submitted a copy of my Garda cert that I sent in last May with a letter attached saying I had already given them the original with my application.

Just wondering when abouts you posted in your application or when you received the email saying they had received it in the embasy?

Just want an idea of whether or not I should be heading off to get some more passport photos for my second application!! Thanks!

Hey, my application arrived on Monday and I got rejected on Tuesday. I sent them a scanned version of a new police cert I got in Jan.. I think I should have sent the original now. Did you send the original version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

Hey, my application arrived on Monday and I got rejected on Tuesday. I sent them a scanned version of a new police cert I got in Jan.. I think I should have sent the original now. Did you send the original version?

I sent a photocopy of my garda cert. got my acceptance email on jan 20th, nothing yet.

you got your acceptance email on last monday and declined on the tue whereas jimmybeige got acceptance email same day as me on 20th and got his declined email on 27th.

would have though they would have had the same time frames unless maybe they started to receive less apps as the last two weeks progressed and they turned things around quicker.

i expect the first apps in the week of the 18th will get their money request email this coming week or be declined based on eligibilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cvfcvf

Hi,

I posted my application on the 19th Jan. It was received by the visa office 21st January and I got a refusal email on 27th. The only thing I can think of is that my bank HSBC would not give me a Proof of Funds letter/document, they just printed a temporary statement on paper with their logo on. They said this is what they do for all Visa applications.

Did anyone else have trouble getting a proof of funds document? Or could you tell me what your bank did provide you with?

Also, do you think the places will run out if I can't reapply until next week, if my application comes back and provided I can fix the problem?

Thanks for any advice.

cvfcvf wrote: »
    Hi,

I posted my application on the 19th Jan. It was received by the visa office 21st January and I got a refusal email on 27th. The only thing I can think of is that my bank HSBC would not give me a Proof of Funds letter/document, they just printed a temporary statement on paper with their logo on. They said this is what they do for all Visa applications.

I'm pretty sure a bank statement will not be sufficient.

If the bank refused to complete the IEC form, you should request a bank confirmation letter. Most banks will charge you at least €10 for this. It is a template banks use which contains details of your bank balances and is stamped with the bank's official seal (ink stamp).

The FAQ on the IEC website said they will accept this document attached to the proof of funds letter (or probably in place of it). But there's no way I'd just send a bank statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

sorry to hear that folks...im nervous as fook about this...they received mine on the 24th and ive heard nothing since but reading this im pretty worried....should have just paid the extra 300 to the thieves usit:(

hopefully u's get sorted....

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

Do they send an email when they recieve the application?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eamog1888

yep....think thats what the 1st page is for with the barcode, so they just scan it and it sends an automated mail to say they have received it...i posted thurs lunch time and i got the email on the monday

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

It doesn't say they won't accept it either but they do say photocopies are fine which I'm sure covers off scanned also? Or is there a difference? I'm not sure..

yeah.. they should specify.. ORIGINAL ONLY !! ..... but i did look up in general on the google search says. copies are acceptable but only if it is legible!!!!

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    yeah.. they should specify.. ORIGINAL ONLY !! ..... but i did look up in general on the google search says. copies are acceptable but only if it is legible!!!!

It was easy to read the one I sent! Must have been refused for some other reason.. It's such a guessing game!

It was easy to read the one I sent! Must have been refused for some other reason.. It's such a guessing game!

yup... additional info maby... btw see affliations section... thats like companies for back up were you worked b4 is it???

yup... additional info maby... btw see affliations section... thats like companies for back up were you worked b4 is it???

I think it's if you or family members are members of any organisations. I think you mention the companies in other sections.

• Advertisement

Of course not... It's memberships... to political organisations... professional organisations... lobby groups... religious sects... etc.

Of course not... It's memberships... to political organisations... professional organisations... lobby groups... religious sects... etc.

yeah not me or any of my family are members of any ..

Great, application refused :(

I checked it a dozen times, didn't include any photocopies. Can't think what it could be... gutted

Has anyone else who has been rejected got their application back? How long will it typically take?

jk86 wrote: »
    Great, application refused :(

I checked it a dozen times, didn't include any photocopies. Can't think what it could be... gutted

Exact same as me! I have checked four successful applications against my own today. Three of them were done the exact same way as me!!!!

One person filled it out wrong for the most part saying they lived in Ireland in one section and saying they worked in Canada in another section! It's a complete farce! I feel really hard done by now. Two peopl I know were accepted with scanned documents also so that can't be the reason either.. I'm going to complain today

Exact same as me! I have checked four successful applications against my own today. Three of them were done the exact same way as me!!!!

One person filled it out wrong for the most part saying they lived in Ireland in one section and saying they worked in Canada in another section! It's a complete farce! I feel really hard done by now. Two peopl I know were accepted with scanned documents also so that can't be the reason either.. I'm going to complain today

Hmm, I put down that I worked in France, but didn't put down that I lived there since it was only for 4 months. Wonder if that was it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Also refused what a balls, any idea how long it takes for them to post it back ?

gustafo wrote: »
    Also refused what a balls, any idea how long it takes for them to post it back ?

Depends where it is going back to! Mine is being posted back to Canada so I'm not holding out much hope for seeing it anytime soon! There is zero consistency with the application refused and accepted.. Disgraceful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

Hi, was also refused last week - did not include any copies - all original and all documents. I am also in Canada so wont expect it back for ages. Have no idea y it was refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭can2011

Depends where it is going back to! Mine is being posted back to Canada so I'm not holding out much hope for seeing it anytime soon! There is zero consistency with the application refused and accepted.. Disgraceful

Can you think of anything else that may have been the refusal reason? I checked mine a ton of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

I got my refusal email on thursday last week, the application got back to me yesterday. So I guess it takes about 2/3 working days after they send the email.

Advertisement