Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sorry, I thought you said get faster before the 100th Marathon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Beer itself is a great recovery drink since it contains the ideal 4:1 carbodhydrate : protein ratio and has no fat.

The problem is the alcohol which needs to be removed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

mithril wrote: »

The problem is the alcohol which needs to be removed first.

I have that sorted, I let my liver do it. Problem is that it wont get rid of it quick enough, but after a couple of them, I dont really mind too much.

Do you know if the Alcohol Free versions (Eirdinger, Paulaner) has the same ratio as their bigger brothers, or does it have less carbs, because its not as cloudy and probably loses some of the wheat during the removal of the alcohol?

Particularly in the warm weather, its a great reward to have a couple of cold beers after training, if the alcofree stuff does the same job, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

I don't know what happens during the processing.

I use it during training quite a bit.
    Popping into a quiet country pub during long runs for a bottle of non alcoholic beer is the ideal recovery break.

Been a bit lazy in the last few days since the 2 lsr's. Did 6 miles today in 53 mins, didn't push out the boat, just took it easy. 8:50 pace.

5M at lunchtime today along the Canal, in 39:31 (7.54 pace, Avg HR 148) Warmer then it looked.Stepped up the pace a bit from yesterday. Planning a LT tomorrow after work. Have to get the calculator out and work out my max HM, and percentages once and for all instead of all the guess work (mind you, even with the calculator, it will still be a guess, but a more educated one! :D)

• Advertisement

Not a good day today, in fact, probably one of the worst. Set out with a plan of an 8M run with the middle 4M as a tempo.

Didnt realise the strength of the winds until I got to the park. Started out the first 2M plodding nicely along as a warm up then on the 3rd mile, put the foot down for what I thought would be 4M (or close to) at about 7:15 pace. First mile and half went well with about 7:00 pace, but then I turned a corner in the park and was hit head on with the wind. The pace started dropping rapidly and by the end of the 3rd mile, my rhythm was broken and all momentum and motivation was gone. I wanted to stop and go back to the car, but slogged it out for the rest of the 8M just for the sake of not quitting, but in fairness, it was difficult to get about. I dont know if it was an off day or what. Cant blame the strong winds for it all, cos I just didnt have the power in my legs to bring up the pace again, even with the wind behind me. I struggled to make sure I kept the overall average below 9:00min/mile

In fairness, I also spend too much time looking at the watch and worrying about keeping the pace constant for the Tempo section. I think I might experiment and break out the MP3 player again and start listening to the Podrunner mixes to find one with the right BPM so that I can just run in time with the music and not keep stressing about keeping the pace at the right level for the whole Tempo run.

8M in 1:10, (8:47 pace and avg HR of 140)

After yesterday's encounter, I thought I'd concentrate on some hills today. Went to the Phoenix park and worked on the Kyber Pass.

The Kyber Pass is 0.6M from bollard to bollard, top to bottom. Did 5 repeats, wasnt putting any unnecessary stress on the uphill runs, but was trying to keep them in about the 9:00 pace. The pace for the .6M uphill sections went thus

1 8:27
    2 8:51
    3 9:10
    4 9:43
    5 9:20

lost a bit of pace on the 4th climb, because I nearly got caught up and trampled in a stampede of deer crossing the path. Lovely to watch the animals, but not so close up when they've been startled by some dog roaming around.

Looked like there was a Duathalon on tonight and there was a lot of activity and setting up at the top of the hill. I was luck to finish when I did, because I was parked at the Papal cross and all the participants for the race were parking there too and I was nearly boxed in with all the cars being abandoned.

With the warm up and warm down, total miles today 6.04 in 52:25 (8:41 pace with uphill and downhill stretches)

It felt a lot better then the running yesterday, so there's still hope for me yet! :rolleyes:

Baz Lurmann had a great song a few years ago, The Sunscreen Song, with plenty of nuggets of useful information and tips on life. I reckon he needs to do a second one now, with all the running tips you need to remember, with emphasis on 'Always Hydrate'

In fairness, it was my fault, so cant blame anyone else. After breakfast, I made sure I kept sipping at the water. When I headed out just after 12pm, I had 500ml of water bundled into my four small water bottles on my Lara Croft running belt.

Todays goal, 16M lsr. Headed off along the canal to Sandymont, along the coast to Blackrock, back up onto the Stillorgan road, through UCD and the parks around Clonskeagh and Orwell, back past Bushy Park.

First 9 miles went well, averaging 8:30 all the way but the Climb from Blackrock Park up the Mount Marrion Avenue to the N11 took a bit extra out of me. I was running low on water too and thirsty, trying to ration it as best I could for the last 7 miles. It was a slog clocking up the last few miles and I was kicking myself that I didnt have any change to stop into a shop to pick up a bottle of something as I'm sure I would have maintained a decent pace if I was feeling better. After 15M the headache started to surface and the mouth was so dry, it felt like I was chewing a sheet of sandpaper. Glad to get the 16M out of the way and even gladder to guzzle a cold glass of recovery formula. Biggest shock was just before I jumped into the shower :
    Only managed to pass about 50ml of the darkest urine ever
    which gave me a big indication of exactly how dehydrated I was. In the Winter, I could get away with doing 16M with no water or gels, definitely not the case in Summer. I was so tempted to refill the bottles along the Dodder, but thought better of it. Pity there arent any public water taps anymore around the place.

Have it all to do again tomorrow, I'll be better equipped. Thinking of running along the new Canal walkway as far as I can go, so see what it's like.

At the end of it all today, 16M in 2:27 (8:30 pace for the first 9 miles, 9:11 pace for the overall run, once the thirst kicked it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How much water do you drink during the day? I never bring water out with me and was fine with the LSR's yesterday and today, was quite hot out there today and I still felt perfect. I usually get by fine because I keep myself so well hydrated during my non-running time.

I had about a litre during the morning before I went out, Dont usually suffer from dehyration, probably just had an off day today, not something I want to go through again in a hurry. Bit wearly now about the water stations being 6M apart in Dingle for the first 25M.

• Advertisement

I wonder if the water will be in bottles in Dingle. Carrying a bottle for a couple of miles wouldn't be too much hassle - especially with the slower pace you'd be running the Ultra at. I might even bring one of those small 250ml bottles of water with me and just fill it at each station, especially if the weather is similar to last years. The few seconds lost from stopping to fill will be better than what you'd lose through dehydration.

After yesterday's fiasco, I wasnt planning on too much today. Just get out, do the 16M and recover for the Irishtown 5k on Wednesday.

Made sure I was drinking plenty during the day. When I got home, I filled the water bottles and added Chia seed to them. packed one gel for the 8M mark and change for a drink just in case. The plan was to run out to the White Horse in Inchicore then run along the new canak walkway until the Garmin hit 8M, turn around and come back home.

Didnt realise how many little uphill stretches there were along the way out. I got as far as Adamstown and had to carry on about another 0.7M down a grassy trek before turning around to come back. I went out at 8:20 pace and kept it up as long as I could. By the time I got to 10M, I was at 8:26 pace for the 10M (1:24) and decided to slow it down a little because after all, it was an LSR. The next four miles were in around 9:00 to 9:30 per mile and I picked up the pace for the last two at 8:30 miles again, feeling good about the pace and legs were comfortable. I did stop into the Esso Garage in Clondalkin on the return leg, becuase I was a bit worried about getting thirsty again, and picked up a locozade isotonic. Boy, it felt good and cold, but sipped it along the way rather then risk a cramp by knocking it back.

Had a recovery drink when I got back, along with pasta stir in and a tin of Salmon to get a shot of Carbs and Protien to get the legs back to normal.

I just hope I recover in time for the 5k in Irishtown on Wednesday, I'll have a rest tomorrow and see how I get on.

Overall today, 16M in 2:19 (pace of 8:41 mile/min) Avg HR 148 and none of the problems from yesterday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice one Aimman, how did you find the canal pathway? I find it's a bit boring myself and I don't like having to slow down to go through the gates. It is quite good for a tempo or interval session though as it's dead flat...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Nice one Aimman, how did you find the canal pathway? I find it's a bit boring myself and I don't like having to slow down to go through the gates. It is quite good for a tempo or interval session though as it's dead flat...

Not as flat as I thought, lol, as I approached each lock where the water level was higher, but in fairness some good long flat stretches in places. For some reason, there always seemed to be someone going through the gates as I approaced them. As one point, there were two lads about to bring horses through one of them, but in fairness, they let me through first.

Psychologically, boring can be good too at times when training for an ultra because of the long straight neverending roads and only the little voices in your head to keep you sain or drive you insane, depending on which little voices are talking at the time. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Wahts the crack with the drinking session down at the bogtrotters Aimann?
    1000000000000000 pints:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Wahts the crack with the drinking session down at the bogtrotters Aimann?
    1000000000000000 pints:D

Most definitely, as long as you are buying. :cool:

Are you up for the Friday and Saturday night?

Aimman wrote: »
    Most definitely, as long as you are buying. :cool:

Are you up for the Friday and Saturday night?

i am:d
    im keeping my goal for this race secret so if i dont get it no1 will know:p.
    ill be drinking large amounts no matter what.

I'll be up for some post race pints. Oisin has to give me his room keys anyways so I can shower.

I'll be up for some post race pints. Oisin has to give me his room keys anyways so I can shower.

Excellent, raid the minibar, we can share out the spoils in the reception :D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    ill be drinking large amounts no matter what.

Ah, a man after my own liver. Actually, the state mine's in, probably not, haha

• Advertisement

Today was set aside for the Irishtown 5k, but because I've had hardly any sleep in the last couple of nights (weather too warm?), I felt I was too tired to do a 5k race, so settled for a 10M run instead..... yeah, I know, it made sense at the time.

Decided at 5pm not to do the race. Head was a bit groggy and I knew I wouldnt be up to getting a decent time, so I thought a 4-6M recovery in Marley Park might be better.

After the first 6M I wasnt breaking a sweat, I decided to go an extra 4M, I was felt in good form and all the tiredness vanished once the running started.

The target pace for the recovery was a nice 9:30 and one loop around the park is exactly 2M, so all credit to the person who designed that pathway. The only problem with the loop is that the first half is uphill and the second is downhill. On the uphill sections i tended to push a little harder to overcome the slight climb, and then got carried away on the downhill sections but was always under the target pace, uphills at 9:00, downhills at 8:20, but still taking it easy.

With about 1.5M to go, some bloke came out of a side path behind me and was on a mission to overtake me. Trying not to overdo my recovery run, I let him pass me, although he didnt look in good shape and plenty of huffing, puffing and spitting. he was about 50M ahead of me and he looked like he was tiring after putting in the effort to get past me. Of course, the primal hunter instinct kicked in and before I knew it I was on his tail like Taz. He copped I was gaining on him and he tried to gain distance, but just as I caught up with him, he stopped and looked like he was ready to drop. Once I got past him, I dropped the speed a bit, but sure I had the pace in me now and was enjoying it. Within 20 seconds, I could hear the panting, spitting and the extra loud music from his MP3 player and he was onto me again, catching up. Now the primal hunted instinct was kicking in and I upped the pace more until the guy was nowhere to be seen and kept it up till I got to the 10M mark. Chuffed I was when it came to cooling down. After 8.5M at a nice pace of 8:40, it was great to open it out to a pace of 7:20 for the last 1.5M, although it did feck up any chance of calling it a recovery run. I hope I sleep tonight now.

10M in 1:25 (overall pace 8:33 avg HR 143)

a bit of a rest tomorrow, light run on Friday in preperation for the 5M in the park. Glad I didnt do the 5k tonight, I really enjoyed the 10M in the park and the little burst at the end.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

With about 1.5M to go, some bloke came out of a side path behind me and was on a mission to overtake me. Trying not to overdo my recovery run, I let him pass me, although he didnt look in good shape and plenty of huffing, puffing and spitting. he was about 50M ahead of me and he looked like he was tiring after putting in the effort to get past me. Of course, the primal hunter instinct kicked in and before I knew it I was on his tail like Taz. He copped I was gaining on him and he tried to gain distance, but just as I caught up with him, he stopped and looked like he was ready to drop. Once I got past him, I dropped the speed a bit, but sure I had the pace in me now and was enjoying it. Within 20 seconds, I could hear the panting, spitting and the extra loud music from his MP3 player and he was onto me again, catching up. Now the primal hunted instinct was kicking in and I upped the pace more until the guy was nowhere to be seen and kept it up till I got to the 10M mark. Chuffed I was when it came to cooling down. After 8.5M at a nice pace of 8:40, it was great to open it out to a pace of 7:20 for the last 1.5M, although it did feck up any chance of calling it a recovery run. I hope I sleep tonight now.

Ha ha, that's hilarious. Happens to me all the time, its so difficult to let someone you know you're better than pass you out, even if its an easy run. Best of luck with the 5 miler and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

My poor brother went for his first ever run last night & said he was intimidated by the awesomely aggressive runner who kept tailing & subsequently "peacocking" in front of him. The poor auld devil is wrecked, traumatised & won't run again without a minder. Thanks.

AJCOT wrote: »
    My poor brother went for his first ever run last night & said he was intimidated by the awesomely aggressive runner who kept tailing & subsequently "peacocking" in front of him. The poor auld devil is wrecked, traumatised & won't run again without a minder. Thanks.

LOL, I thought I spotted the resembelence, and he was wearing your bananaman top too.

In fairness, he looked really uncomfortable and was overdoing it. Constantly grunting and spitting. Think he wasn't enjoying himself anyway.

Brianderunner, are you doing the 5M yourself this Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Brianderunner, are you doing the 5M yourself this Saturday?

Yep, shooting for 32-33 mins if there's no traffic trouble, shouldn't be too far away from you.

Went out for 3M this evening, just light running before the race tomorrow. Wanted to do about 9:00 to 9:30 pace just to get the blood circulating through the muscles. Legs still feeling a little tight after Marley on Wednesday.

3M in 27:30 (9:10 pace)

Felt good this morning going out to the adidas 5M race. Spent a bit more time then usual warming up as I didn't think I was doing enough in the past. Was always worried I'd use up too much energy during the warm up, but threw caution to the wind today after reading P&D the other day.

First two miles were run at 6:43 pace including the hill on military road, so I went out a bit too fast, but still felt good at the top of the hill. Was surprised to see so many people pull up or walk on the hill, they must have given it welly on the Kyber Pass and didn't have enough for the climb.

Grabbed a couple of gulps of water at the station and was very happy with my pace up the Upper Glen road hill. I could feel myself slowing down though through the winding roads to the Ordnance Survey office, but picked up again on Chesterfield.

My overall pace was 7:10 for the race and completed the 4.9M in 35:03. I was a bit pissed off that I almost got under the 35M mark, but it didn't bother me when I realised it wasn't for a whole 5M. Then I was a bit pissed off, cos I didn't get to run a full 5M.

Not to worry, I have the Frank Duffy 9.89M run to look forward to in August!

The one memory that will stick with me was running down the Kyber Pass and watching the deer cut across us. Did no one tell them there was a race on? Luckily, no one got impaled on an antler.:)

4.9M in 35:03 (7:10 pace)

Rested yesterday.

Today I planned to do a 10M run at recovery pace and then ease off the milage coming up to Roscommon on Saturday. To prevent a repeat of Marlay last week, I took in the long climb from the bottom of Churchtown hill, up Taney Road to Goatstown and then up to the top of Fosters Avenue to keep the pace down. Was enjoying the run, so I then took in the Dodder path from Clonskeagh to Bushy Park on the way back and clocked up 12.3M altogether.

Kept the pace handy at just under 9 min/miles for the first 10 miles and slowed down the next 2.3M further to about 9:30 min/mile.

Short runs for the next three evenings, very mini taper to give me a decent crack at a long run on Saturday.

12.3M in 1:52:24 (9:08 pace)

You're tapering? Pfffft lightweight!

• Advertisement

you going for 3.45 the weekend?
    nice pace in the 4.9 mile race.
    ive done 2 short races, ill never do either again.

Advertisement