Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

had a visit from two nokia reps today
    well what did they have?
    the C3,C7,X2,and the N8.
    the 1st two i had no interest in
    but the other 2 well they are something else the new symbian 3 is great,lots of new things,so for the symbian lover its a treat and easy to get used to the new changes
    the N8 has super audio quality
    the C7 very sleek smooth,did not like it as much as the N8 but the oled display is superb
    these might just save nokia

forgot to mention i asked about release date
    they said november in uk and ireland on vodafone 1st so it looks like no october date

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The E7 might be a better job, its the N8 with a full qwerty. Basically what the n97 should have been kinda thing. After living with qwerty, its hard too leave it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

jimmynokia wrote: »
    had a visit from two nokia reps today
    well what did they have?
    the C3,C7,X2,and the N8.
    the 1st two i had no interest in
    but the other 2 well they are something else the new symbian 3 is great,lots of new things,so for the symbian lover its a treat and easy to get used to the new changes
    the N8 has super audio quality
    the C7 very sleek smooth,did not like it as much as the N8 but the oled display is superb
    these might just save nokia

ah jimmy ffs stop teasing me:Ddid the reps mention what networks they are going release the N8 on, i have since got my self an iphone4 which will be f**ked out the minute the N8 arrives p.s did they mention anything about 3 getting it.

Davy wrote: »
    The E7 might be a better job, its the N8 with a full qwerty. Basically what the n97 should have been kinda thing. After living with qwerty, its hard too leave it :o

i just checked out the E7 specs davy and according to gsm arena it has no external memory card slot:( so roll on the N8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Nokia have just announced they are shipping pre orders now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If only Nokia Ireland were any use and we'd be able to order it off them!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i just checked out the E7 specs davy and according to gsm arena it has no external memory card slot:( so roll on the N8.

Its has 16gb storage though so its not really a problem

Davy wrote: »
    Its has 16gb storage though so its not really a problem

yeah i know that:D i have only 4gb left off the 32gb on the N97 so need more storage space.

• Advertisement

yeah i know that:D i have only 4gb left off the 32gb on the N97 so need more storage space.

Ok, maybe it is a problem then :rolleyes:

ah jimmy ffs stop teasing me:Ddid the reps mention what networks they are going release the N8 on, i have since got my self an iphone4 which will be f**ked out the minute the N8 arrives p.s did they mention anything about 3 getting it.

they said voda is getting it first it started shipping today but this was for preorders so it wont be here till next month on a network at least,they said early november on voda so see what happens,i will be talking to a 3 insider tomor i will let you know what they tell me

jimmynokia wrote: »
    they said voda is getting it first it started shipping today but this was for preorders so it wont be here till next month on a network at least,they said early november on voda so see what happens,i will be talking to a 3 insider tomor i will let you know what they tell me

thanks for that jimmy fingers crossed three get it:Dim just messing about with the iphone4 and already i hate it.(f**king itunes);)

thanks for that jimmy fingers crossed three get it:Dim just messing about with the iphone4 and already i hate it.(f**king itunes);)

yeah i did not like the iphone im telling ya this when you get the n8 the iphone will be f**cked out the window.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Apparently all Symbian^3 handsets will have USB-on-the-go, so bob's your uncle when it comes to storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

tech radar slates the n8. Seems a bit biased though. Didn't read it all.

Seemed like a completely biased review to me! It didn't see to stand a chance cause it wasn't an Android device or an iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

kmart6 wrote: »
    Seemed like a completely biased review to me! It didn't see to stand a chance cause it wasn't an Android device or an iPhone!

I think the problem is that they just wanted NOT to be another nokia phone and the problem is, it is. From the look of it symbian 3 isn't really that much different then S60 and it is only now starting to preform like it should of when the 5800 launched.

The other problem with the N8 is it's price. If they had kept to it's initial pricing they probably would of sold a ton of these, however now it is only slightly cheaper then the rest and unfortunately it just isn't as good

O2 UK are going to have it for €400 on Pre-Pay

just read the reveiw on tech radar and the guy was saying that the battery is encased in the phone,so is the iphone4 that i got the other day.:rolleyes: saying that i have messed around with the iphone 4 and it knocks the crap out of the N97 regarding the responsive screen and web pages loading straight away, i really hope the N8 is as good if not better than the iphone4.

• Advertisement

was in with 3 today and seen the stock list for this month NO nokia N8
    they are getting the xperia x8 and the nokia E5
    they said that they wont when the n8 is coming due to all the delays

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

N8 now on the comingsoon section of vf website ...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/comingsoon

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

Looks like emobile will be stocking this as well come November

jimmy_t wrote: »
    N8 now on the comingsoon section of vf website ...
    http://www.vodafone.ie/comingsoon

its in there new magazine
    just as i mentioned earlier in thread thread it will sell alongside the c7
    and its started shipping today
    http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1450714:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

So my preferred colour of the N8 is being offered by Vodafone! Interesting.
    Emobile are going with dark grey and I'm not sure if they'll have other colours later on...
    it's such a pity the silver white is not available on all networks, well we'll see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Given Symbian^3 has the worst smartphone UI bar none, why would anyone consider buying one of these? Aye the hardware is great, but if the UI blows goats then its unuseable in the main and is just going to frustrate. My last nokia was my N95, and unless Meego is mindblowing or they adopt android I can't ever see myself going back, and certainly not for a Symbian POS phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

Inquitus wrote: »
    Given Symbian^3 has the worst smartphone UI bar none, why would anyone consider buying one of these? Aye the hardware is great, but if the UI blows goats then its unuseable in the main and is just going to frustrate. My last nokia was my N95, and unless Meego is mindblowing or they adopt android I can't ever see myself going back, and certainly not for a Symbian POS phone.

I'm not obsessed about UI, as long as the OS is stable and provides better multitasking than profiteering Jobs's fruit phones and better battery performance than energy eater Android.

What's POS?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Queerdub wrote: »

What's POS?

Piece of $hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Various review sites still seem to be confused and having a go at the N8 over the 'encased battery', as far as I can tell, 1 (or 2..) screw(s) and you're free to remove it, a totally normal Nokia BL-4D pops out.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nokia-N8-Teardown/3641/1

That's user replaceable.. compared to certain other popular phones.

• Advertisement

HOT OF THE PRESS
    3 FINGER SALUT FOR THE NOKIA N8 KEEP THIS HANDY

Hold "Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key" and press power button until you feel it shake

Advertisement