Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ Today Show - Free Consumer Help

• 13-01-2015 6:07pm
    Company Representative Posts: 5 Verified rep RTÉ Today Show

Do you need help solving a consumer problem? Have you issues with your phone or internet provider, or a problem with an airline? Haven't been able to return or exchange a gift/item?

RTE's Today show consumer champion Vickie Maye wants to help solve your consumer problems.

We would love to invite Boards.ie members to let us know about any issues they'd like Vickie's help with so feel free to post them here on this thread and we'll see what we can do for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just a note to all our Boards regulars (and irregulars):

This is a great opportunity to engage with RTE and utilise the Today Show in resolving your issues.

Don't be afraid to step forward and share your experiences of the good, the bad and the downright ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Fantastic opportunity for all those recently stung by IWantThisDeal to come forward and share their stories!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Welcome RTÉ to Boards!:pac:

Well I guess I'll get the ball rolling....

Sold a phone on eBay in early November, buyer paid on time and all but due to reasons beyond my control the phone wasn't actually sent until the 9th of December.

The buyer was pretty understanding throughout the whole thing and I ended up paying for Priority Postage out of my own pocket as a show of gratitude for their patience.

The person is from Israel so the item had to be declared and stuff but An Post "assured" me it'd take no more than 7 working days to get there.

The phone was finally delivered some time after the New Year but in the meantime the buyer opened a case against me to protect themselves which is understandable and eBay decided in favour of the buyer and have closed the case.

Even though the phone has been delivered although a lot longer than it should have been, eBay gave the buyer a refund.

They messaged me and essentially they want to pay me back a portion of the costs but not the full.

Is there anything I can do to resolve this? eBay/PayPal are of no use so is there anything I can do?

As it was €€€'s I would obviously like the full amount back!

Any advice?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

What about UPS charging €14.50 + €6 handling for the service of collecting VAT for the revenue. They arrive at the door with your package (from abroad) and demand cash on delivery.
    I asked their billing department the reason for the charge. She said they had to set up an account with revenue; @ 14.50 per package the set cost must be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

How about Eircom charging VAT on closing accounts. See here:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056714810/8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Virginia Many Superman

Eircom covering free national calls in their bundles yet charging for the so called lo-call 1850 or 1890 calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eircom covering free national calls in their bundles yet charging for the so called lo-call 1850 or 1890 calls?

What provider gives you those free?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What provider gives you those free?

You're missing the point. Those numbers are supposed to make it cheaper for customers to call but they are in fact more expensive than a call to the other side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ticketmaster charging a fee per ticket, rather than per transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

dudara wrote: »
    Ticketmaster charging a fee per ticket, rather than per transaction.

You can add their extortionate booking fees and credit card charges to that. Rip-off merchants:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tweaf1

Yes.Travel insurance not covering A&E in the USA!

tweaf1 wrote: »
    Yes.Travel insurance not covering A&E in the USA!

Mine does.

Mine does.

Wow, really helpful...

Just saying you can't generalise the way you did. You might as well say motor insurance only covers third party damage - it's the policy you bought. Many travel insurance policies cover A&E in the US.

I obviously thought I was covered....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Welcome RTÉ to Boards!:pac:

Well I guess I'll get the ball rolling....

Sold a phone on eBay in early November, buyer paid on time and all but due to reasons beyond my control the phone wasn't actually sent until the 9th of December.

What were the circumstances though? If you sold it in Early November, it should have been shipped in Early November, there really couldn't be an excuse not to have shipped it earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Three'a ridiculous 'three repair attempt' policy.

They sent my phone (still in warranty) for repair. It came back, replaced because they couldn't repair.

Same fault occured. They wouldn't replace with a different model or refund.

So I'm stuck using a useless phone because they're breaching my rights to a permanent repair.

Are RTE PM-ing users or are they going to reply back on this thread to peoples issues?

Loughc wrote: »
    What were the circumstances though? If you sold it in Early November, it should have been shipped in Early November, there really couldn't be an excuse not to have shipped it earlier.

An Post had a backlog essentially and it just escalated from there.

I understand it's my own fault but the bottomline is the buyer has their item and I do not have my money.

An Post had a backlog essentially and it just escalated from there.

I understand it's my own fault but the bottomline is the buyer has their item and I do not have my money.

But you took a month to even post it. The backlog doesn't make sense. There are T&C that you need to read.
    Have you asked the buyer to pass payment again?

• Advertisement

But you took a month to even post it. The backlog doesn't make sense. There are T&C that you need to read.
    Have you asked the buyer to pass payment again?

There was a backlog at the post office, I basically got told to come back again when it was dealt with, then when I finally got to send it, it seems to have been at customs in Israel for nearly a month in itself!

Currently in discussion with the buyer about getting my money back but I'm just wondering if there's any sort of rights/regulations I'm protected by.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Are RTE PM-ing users or are they going to reply back on this thread to peoples issues?

I got a PM from them asking to email.

I hope they're dealing with them as posts on here aswell.

I'm just wondering if there's any sort of rights/regulations I'm protected by.

No, none at all. It is between you and the buyer at this point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There was a backlog at the post office, I basically got told to come back again when it was dealt with.

If this is true, surely you should be pursuiting An Post for your money. What post office tells someone to go away and comeback when they've dealt with their backlog?? That is mental! It's their responsibility to work through the backlog they shouldn't have refused your request.

Take your grievance up with An Post, it has nothing to do with Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Sam Mac wrote: »

It would be nice if they replied in thread. It feels like we are chatting to ourselves here.

It would be useful to know what topics they might run with and we could get behind them.

• Company Representative Posts: 5 Verified rep RTÉ Today Show

Hello! We are monitoring posts and private messaging some users.
    Thank you all for your comments. We hope we can help solve some consumer issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The users who are suffering at the hands of this internet provider would appreciate any help, I'm sure:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056492710&page=18

There's a thread on yourtel that they should look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Hi RTÉ Today Show, I signed up to the Setanta Sports for €1 offer in December. I assumed it was for a month so rang them to cancel the other day as we had it for 29 days at that stage. They told me I should have read the T&C's properly as it stated anyone who doesn't cancel the €1 offer by the 31st of December would be automatically signed up with them for a minimum of 2 months at full price.

So what I thought looked like a nice €1 offer before Christmas has now turned into a minimum of €45. I said to them I don't want the channels for the next 2 months and I want to cancel, they refused to cancel my subscription unless I pay the full €45 first which puts me in the strange position of having a service we don't want! In a subsequent email I reiterated I don't want the channels but again they refused to cancel. So I'm going to owe them another €22 each month unless I clear what I 'owe' them. Reckon I'll owe them about €300 by the end of the year.

Terrible way for a company to do business in my opinion.

• Advertisement

^ Cancel the card that you used, or the direct debit if you are signed up that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement