Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being given the wrong change

Options
  • 13-01-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi was in tesco today bought 2 7ups, a €3 scratchcard and handed over 50 to pay with and cashier hands back a fiver so I just say am sorry I gave you 50, the cashier says j don't think you did and ignores me and starts serving other customers while I'm still waiting for an explanation and change them she calls another cashier and says loudly that o didn't give her 50 so waiting up to half a hour for my proper change until both the cashiers just say they ll take the change out of her wages still not believing that I gave 50 so I ask could she look back on the cameras and she just ignores me again and takes my right amount of change out handing it to me... I'm so annoyed and embarrassed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Theres pricks in every job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

the normal proceedure is to close the till and cash it it up to see if its over or under. id have asked for a manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Go back to the shop and explain to the manager. When the tills are tallied at the end of the day her till will be over and they'll give you the change. You might have to wait until tomorrow to actually get the money

Sorry ignore that I see now that you actually got your change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Sounds very suspicious. The fact that she handed it over and was prepared to take a personal hit is even more suspicious.

I would be speaking to the manager regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

both the cashiers just say they ll take the change out of her wages

Tesco don't do that ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

This is one form of a well known scam

Either an employee fails to register purchases, or they give you back too little change and pocket the difference by not putting cash from subsequent customers in the till

I'd have reported it to a manager regardless - you may have caught them in the act..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭hagoonabear

hi i just checked the receipt now it still says the first amount of change not saying a i handed a 20 instead of a fiver I'm going back tomorrow I asked to speak to a manager they said no its ok, I'm definitely going to speak to the manager tomorrow I still feel kinda ashamed over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

No need for you to feel ashamed. She should though when she hopefully gets a b*llicking tomorrow! I worked in a bank and would have been mortified if I short changed anyone. We would, as suggested, have closed the till straight away and cashed up to see if there was a difference. The fact she didn't get a manager suggests she was trying to pull a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't ever feel embarrassed in such a situation. It's simply watching out for yourself and making sure that you are treated correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

That's a bit crap, hopefully the manager will get on to her.

On the other side though, working in a shop myself, we have 'certain' customers whereby, if they know you are new, they will try and trick you. They will give you say, 20euro for a transaction (say it was worth 8euro, fine), you give them 12euro back. They will try and convince you that they gave you a 50euro note. You say nope, you gave me a 20. They will argue and cause a scene until you give them more change.

It's very annoying. Unfortunately, we cant close up and tally the till, just doesn't work that way in our shop.

But look, hopefully you'll get sorted. They seemed so rude, and especially in front of the other customers. she should have pulled you over to the side to discuss it, not ignore you and then make a scene in front of every else :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Isnt there usually a clip located in the till on a tray where the teller can put the received note until the transaction is over? for this purpose,mostly so the teller cant get tricked/confused by a scam artist to deceive them into giving out too much change?

Not that I think this is the OPs case, Ive had dodgy experiences where I paid for X amount but was billed much less and still got my right change, didnt cop it and didnt need the receipt really, but in the event I had to return with an item it can cause problems for a customer too and not just the retailer getting ripped off.
    Ive also had people try it on with giving change of say 20 when I handed a 50, you know its a scam when you cop it and they just revert to the change for 50 immediately, still an attempt to dissuade the customer that they handed over a lesser amount doesnt mean they are wrong, just that the thief may be more persistent or trying to hide their scam/error.

cerastes wrote: »
    Isnt there usually a clip located in the till on a tray where the teller can put the received note until the transaction is over? for this purpose,mostly so the teller cant get tricked/confused by a scam artist to deceive them into giving out too much change?

not on ours, but I get what you're saying. also, i know some people just leave the note flat across the inside of the till until the transaction is over…but its just gets so busy, and you really don't have time to be adjusting the money. you just want to get through the customers in a efficient and polite as possible manner.

berger89 wrote: »
    not on ours, but I get what you're saying. also, i know some people just leave the note flat across the inside of the till until the transaction is over…but its just gets so busy, and you really don't have time to be adjusting the money. you just want to get through the customers in a efficient and polite as possible manner.

I see, it seems like a very useful aid to a cashier/teller for very little cost to the retailer, something that would not slow transactions very much but provides for preventing errors occurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

A good tip I was giving years ago. When handing notes over to a cashier, say something along the lines of... "There is 50", as you hand over the note. It makes you look twice (ensuring you actually have given a 50) and most importantly, it lets the cashier know that you know *exactly* how much that you handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

hi i just checked the receipt now it still says the first amount of change not saying a i handed a 20 instead of a fiver I'm going back tomorrow I asked to speak to a manager they said no its ok, I'm definitely going to speak to the manager tomorrow I still feel kinda ashamed over it

Dont read too much into the amount which is said on the receipt - if its an easy amount, say, 5 euro - 2 euro = 3 euro, if youre on autopilot youll often just hit the nearest total button (in this case 20€) hence why it said on the receipt you left in 20 euro.

From a person who used to work behind a till, I had someone come in screaming at me saying I gave the wrong change once, giving abuse to my face at the till. Turns out theyd given me a 10 when they thought theyd given me a 50 and it was shown on camera. I dont believe that customer was trying to scam me, and even though they didnt apologise afterwards I just believe it was an honest mistake on their part - didnt harbour any anger! Most people are good, in particular I think it was highly unlikely the person behind the till was trying to scam you.

Just bring it up with the manager and see what they say! :). Sorry to hear you had a hard time.

A good tip I was giving years ago. When handing notes over to a cashier, say something along the lines of... "There is 50", as you hand over the note. It makes you look twice (ensuring you actually have given a 50) and most importantly, it lets the cashier know that you know *exactly* how much that you handed over.

I do that, even for 2 euro coins, so they dont misidentify it as a one euro, but definitely for notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

There's a petrol station in Lucan, frequented by a lot of Gardai as it happens, which used to be notorious for an eastern european female member of staff trying that trick. She was no fool either. A lot of lads would spin up there for a late night munchie run, and she would try to take advantage of their befuddled minds. More times I'd have to bring lads back up the next day to get their change back from the manager.

She was a right stunner though.

pablo128 wrote: »
    There's a petrol station in Lucan, frequented by a lot of Gardai as it happens, which used to be notorious for an eastern european female member of staff trying that trick. She was no fool either. A lot of lads would spin up there for a late night munchie run, and she would try to take advantage of their befuddled minds. More times I'd have to bring lads back up the next day to get their change back from the manager.

She was a right stunner though.

I cant recal her charms, they all looked plastered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dont read too much into the amount which is said on the receipt - if its an easy amount, say, 5 euro - 2 euro = 3 euro, if youre on autopilot youll often just hit the nearest total button (in this case 20€) hence why it said on the receipt you left in 20 euro.

This is part of the scam.

Its very clever and without a doubt very carefully planned.

Say a customer hands over €50, the sale was €8.00. Expected change is €42.00 instead they get handed back €12.00 and the €30 is 'set aside'. The €12 likely made up of €5 and loose change 50c, 20c and 10c so the customer just pockets the money so as not to let it drop.

On paper when the till is checked it looks like the correct amount of change has been given out for the money handed in as the cashier has rang in €20.00 as amount tendered. If the €30 is discovered as 'over' on the till then it was a mistake keying in the tender.

The best way as a consumer to avoid being stung is to hand the money over and say the amount being passed over. The amount of people I witness paying for goods while speaking on the phone or texting is astonishing too. Poeple need to pay attention to their money.

AKW wrote: »
    This is part of the scam.

Its very clever and without a doubt very carefully planned.

Say a customer hands over €50, the sale was €8.00. Expected change is €42.00 instead they get handed back €12.00 and the €30 is 'set aside'. The €12 likely made up of €5 and loose change 50c, 20c and 10c so the customer just pockets the money so as not to let it drop.

On paper when the till is checked it looks like the correct amount of change has been given out for the money handed in as the cashier has rang in €20.00 as amount tendered. If the €30 is discovered as 'over' on the till then it was a mistake keying in the tender.

The best way as a consumer to avoid being stung is to hand the money over and say the amount being passed over. The amount of people I witness paying for goods while speaking on the phone or texting is astonishing too. Poeple need to pay attention to their money.

Woah!! You'd want to be some eejit of a shop assistant to risk that. Sure surely there would be cameras on the tills. Sure;y there's a manager or something watching CCTV?? As someone who works behind a till, I think that is very extreme. Maybe I'm being naive but even if I found 1cent on the floor, I'd pp it into the charity box. Plenty of times the lads have found a 20euro and even 50euro notes on the floors. They never pocket it. They leave it to see if it gets claimed. After like 3 months, they put it into the charity box (I do). One or two pocket it. But I've never hard of such a scam :/

• Advertisement

Woah!! You'd want to be some eejit of a shop assistant to risk that. Sure surely there would be cameras on the tills. Sure;y there's a manager or something watching CCTV?? As someone who works behind a till, I think that is very extreme. Maybe I'm being naive but even if I found 1cent on the floor, I'd pp it into the charity box. Plenty of times the lads have found a 20euro and even 50euro notes on the floors. They never pocket it. They leave it to see if it gets claimed. After like 3 months, they put it into the charity box (I do). One or two pocket it. But I've never hard of such a scam :/

Hardly, not that I approve, but probably worth it to them, can easily be explained as tired/error, just dont get up to it too much and there you have it. Im sure there are places that have cameras on the tills and plenty that dont.
    Wrong change is one thing, finding it is another, how do they determine if the real owner of the money was located? and not just spent in the pub/supermarket that night/weekend? In fact is there another scam to go into places saying you lost 20/50 or whatever? if someone handed something up, how do you know this person claiming they lost money isnt chancing their arm it happened?

Where are they finding all this money? PM me please, Im sure there are noble and worthy charities, besides getting the wrong change and finding money its a completely different thing to find and keep money, than handing it up somewhere to someone hoping the real owner will get it, is that realistic, 3 months? where did that timescale come from even?

Hardly, not that I approve, but probably worth it to them, can easily be explained as tired/error, just dont get up to it too much and there you have it. Im sure there are places that have cameras on the tills and plenty that dont.
    Wrong change is one thing, finding it is another, how do they determine if the real owner of the money was located? and not just spent in the pub/supermarket that night/weekend? In fact is there another scam to go into places saying you lost 20/50 or whatever? if someone handed something up, how do you know this person claiming they lost money isnt chancing their arm it happened?

Where are they finding all this money? PM me please, Im sure there are noble and worthy charities, besides getting the wrong change and finding money its a completely different thing to find and keep money, than handing it up somewhere to someone hoping the real owner will get it, is that realistic, 3 months? where did that timescale come from even?

My point being, stop painting all cashiers with the one brush. We aren't all dishonest people. The way you're talking you'd swear everyone was scamming everyone. there are some honest people out there. As I said, I never pocket I find. I have never knowingly short changed someone. the lad I work with, if they find money, its kept behind the till in an envelope saying when and where found. if someone comes in "chancing their arm", a few simple questions will determine whether or not they are the rightful owners.

Just bring it up with the manager and see what they say! :). Sorry to hear you had a hard time.

Depends what you're buying, if you need a receipt it might be a problem, Ive been given correct change to incorrect amounts of the value of an item compared to what Ive paid and had attempts at giving me less than what I was meant to get too.
    My point being, stop painting all cashiers with the one brush. We aren't all dishonest people. The way you're talking you'd swear everyone was scamming everyone. there are some honest people out there. As I said, I never pocket I find. I have never knowingly short changed someone. the lad I work with, if they find money, its kept behind the till in an envelope saying when and where found. if someone comes in "chancing their arm", a few simple questions will determine whether or not they are the rightful owners.

I never said all cashiers were, the OP has pointed out one or two people in their experience, in all my life I could probably count them on one hand (maybe two).
    I am not suggesting money found is being handed up to cashiers, I didnt say that, so I wasnt assuming you were handing money up to cashiers, just to some person working at a place.

Plenty of people will take any chance and will scam anyone at an opportunity unfortunatelt, no need to take offence at me, I didnt even gather you were saying the "lads" are cashiers, just that they were finding money wherever they went, I know someone like that, just said they seem to find money, they did tell me they keep their eyes peeled all the time, I dont for that.

As for determining how one person lost a 20, how could you question them, they could be scamming themselves saying they lost a 20 and did you find it, they dont need to give specifics, just that they were in there? the idea never crossed my mind till just before the time I wrote it, if you can think it, its probably going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Not a cashier here

But lets be honest guys
    if a cashier gave you you're correct change and more, would you honestly turn back and tell him?

I expect the obvious boardsies do gooders to say they would but realistically you wouldn't, you would carry on walking.

Cashiers are not scammers, some are but majority are not, most incidents are because of mistakes and when you're giving out money all day as a cashier and counting it giving the correct change as well as keeping an eye for fake notes or the customer trying to scam you, you would give the wrong change the odd time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Having worked with the public and money for 40 years, I would say a member of staff who unwittingly did that needs further training; an employee who deliberately did it ought to be sacked on the spot and forget about talking to their union..... provided the CCTV backs up the customer's complaint, or an independent witness does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    But lets be honest guys
    if a cashier gave you you're correct change and more, would you honestly turn back and tell him?
    Yes.
    I expect the obvious boardsies do gooders to say they would but realistically you wouldn't, you would carry on walking.
    I suppose that I am one of the obvious do-gooders. Why make it into a sneer?

I am reasonably attentive when I am involved in a cash transaction. I won't be involved in conversation with somebody else while dealing with a cashier. It's a combination of looking after business and a matter of showing courtesy to the cashier. So it would take a brave or stupid cashier to attempt a scam on me. I am over-changed about as often as I am short-changed: mistakes happen. And if you are paying attention at the time, they are easily rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Yes.

I suppose that I am one of the obvious do-gooders. Why make it into a sneer?

I am reasonably attentive when I am involved in a cash transaction. I won't be involved in conversation with somebody else while dealing with a cashier. It's a combination of looking after business and a matter of showing courtesy to the cashier. So it would take a brave or stupid cashier to attempt a scam on me. I am over-changed about as often as I am short-changed: mistakes happen. And if you are paying attention at the time, they are easily rectified.

+1. I have given back incorrect change to a cashier when I was given too much and have pointed out when i was undercharged in error. I can only remember being short changed once many years ago and it was a genuine error. Mistakes happen and why people talk of scams immediately is beyond me. I pay attention when dealing with someone. I don't talk on my phone or chat to another customer while dealing with a cashier - basic good manners if nothing else.
    If the OP thinks there was some dishonesty going on then talk to the manager. Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Woah!! You'd want to be some eejit of a shop assistant to risk that.

Really? Why?

If caught the €30 can be explained away as 'someone forgot their change'. They can't be accused of any wrongdoing unless caught a second or third time at which point it becomes a pattern.

And before you accuse me of tarnishing cashiers I run a shop and am a cashier. It is worth people being aware of what can and does happen.

As I said previously the amount of people handling money while distracted by phones, kids, other people is astonishing.

As a cashier, good habit is to always make eye contact when touching money and to say how much is being received for goods and how much change is being given back. I wait until the distraction has abated too. I would stand with the cash above counter level until I have the person's attention.

AKW wrote: »
    Really? Why?

If caught the €30 can be explained away as 'someone forgot their change'. They can't be accused of any wrongdoing unless caught a second or third time at which point it becomes a pattern.

And before you accuse me of tarnishing cashiers I run a shop and am a cashier. It is worth people being aware of what can and does happen.

As I said previously the amount of people handling money while distracted by phones, kids, other people is astonishing.

As a cashier, good habit is to always make eye contact when touching money and to say how much is being received for goods and how much change is being given back. I wait until the distraction has abated too. I would stand with the cash above counter level until I have the person's attention.

Sounds like you trust your colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Not a cashier here

But lets be honest guys

Cashiers are not scammers, some are but majority are not, most incidents are because of mistakes and when you're giving out money all day as a cashier and counting it giving the correct change as well as keeping an eye for fake notes or the customer trying to scam you, you would give the wrong change the odd time too.

Have handed money back on more than one occasion. It's called being honest, it works both ways you know.

Advertisement