Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zamano still "at it"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

On Android the culprit app would have asked your permission to see your phone number when installing. That's the problem.

This is why iOS users don't have this issue. IOS apps can never have permission to see phone numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

fbradyirl wrote: »
    On Android the culprit app would have asked your permission to see your phone number when installing. That's the problem.

This is why iOS users don't have this issue. IOS apps can never have permission to see phone numbers.

Yeah looking at the app permissions Device ID is one of them.

Wondering if this is legal then anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sedric

20Cent wrote: »
    Yeah looking at the app permissions Device ID is one of them.

Wondering if this is legal then anyone know?

The point by fbradyirl is excellent and will help reduce this <SNIP>..
    spread the word
    ALWAYS CHECK FOR DEVICEID PERMISSION AND DONT GIVE IT ..IT's like giving a direct debit! ...fair play to fbradyirl..

Could the regulator not use this idea..to at least warn people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

So angry about this.

Got two texts earlier tonight out of the blue. Looks like I've been charged circa 10€ total.

Emailed Comreg and the company.

Utterly inexplicable how this happened though. Something rotten is happening here. Have we got any answers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

So angry about this.

Got two texts earlier tonight out of the blue. Looks like I've been charged circa 10€ total.

Emailed Comreg and the company.

Utterly inexplicable how this happened though. Something rotten is happening here. Have we got any answers?

Comreg must have investigated Zamano countless times. I got stung by Zamano myself during the summer for €10. My young son was playing a game on an app on my iPhone and somehow he must have clicked on something within the app to send my number. In fact logs from zamano showed it came from the app. I got a cheque sent out to me but still got comreg onto it. Exact same thing happened to a colleague of mine couple of months later and he got comreg involved.

I'm not entirely sure why comreg don't have any powers here. Or if they do they are reluctant to prosecute/impose sanctions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The DPC have confirmed that the mobile operators are passing numbers to Zamano - because Comreg explicitly allows it, and has done since 2012.

On to Comreg now! And also Meteor, as my contract is much older than 2012.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Comreg are claiming Meteor don't (note: no denial that they're allowed to) pass on numbers. Back to the DPC.

Meteor customer care didn't want to deal with it and said to go to Comreg, clearly assuming nobody does and/or Comreg don't bother

After eventually forcing Comreg's call centre to escalate me to an actual Comreg staff member, I've got a total denial that they allow this. So I've pointed two agencies of the state at each other and asked them to give me a single, coherent and accurate line... which I'm still not expecting to get.

Unlock codes requested and contract notice given to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

keep us updated please

Starting to think its malware that gives them the number.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Starting to think its malware that gives them the number.

Its not.

DPC have confirmed there's a deal to give it from the ID data the network holds; and I'm far more willing to believe an DPC office who spent months on the reply over Comreg staff that take minutes. Anyway, there's minimal malware that targets Nokia Symbian Series 60 phones which is what I was using in April 2012 when this all started. Or the antique Series 40 that I used for confirmatory checking.

Comreg are alternating, even in the same call, between "clicking yes means you've given them your number" and "no such scheme exists, the ODPC made it up" and telling *me* to tell the ODPC that.

They're also refusing to accept Meteor's "go talk to Comreg" as an official complaint response even though it was Meteor's official response.

There is a very obvious attempt to get rid of complaints by just being too awkward to complain to, but I'm a little bit more difficult to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

Write them a letter. If they ring up to discuss, ask them to write back to you. I find that can help a bit when dealing with the sheltered sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Having just read this whole thread and that irish times link, the dishonesty is unbelievable in this particular industry. Its akin to steeling money from a charity fund.
    I'd say we would be shocked if we knew how much they actually profit from this type of deception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Having just read this whole thread and that irish times link, the dishonesty is unbelievable in this particular industry. Its akin to steeling money from a charity fund.
    I'd say we would be shocked if we knew how much they actually profit from this type of deception.

What is worse is that they aren't even a registered Irish company but a panamanian registered company http://dragonflym.com/
    So it seems pretty damn easy to set up this type of operation....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I heard an advertisement for for the consumer show and they are highlighting this issue.
    wednesday night half 8

I heard an advertisement for for the consumer show and they are highlighting this issue.
    wednesday night half 8

On now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Hopefully ComReg follow through on their statements on the Consumer Show and actually block this practice as the FCC have done in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I've just been Zamanoed!

I must have inadvertently hit an ad button (I suspect it was while playing Scrabble on my Android phone) and yesterday I got a message which flashed up that I had received a "reverse charge text".

I then noticed that 12.50 euro had been mysteriously deducted from my (prepay) account. I can be so specific because I had just topped up and knew that I had not deliberately made any chargeable calls.

A web chat with Vodafone alerted me that the premium call charge came from number 57030 aka Zamano.

The three texts I received from this number said

"AppMob Portal is a non subscrioption service it gives you 7 days access. Helpline 0766801002
    Click here http://mobi.appmoXXXXXX"
    (I won't complete the full address just in case somebody else clicks it with disastrous results. )

The second message says
    "Welcome to the AppMob Portal. You have 7 days access. Click here (addrss given) for your download. Helpline 0766801002"

"Download your tone and more here (address and number given)"

I then got a repeat of message 2.

I sent a stop message to the number and got a reply from Free Msg saying "You are not subscribed to any services"

I now have to faff around seeking a refund for something I didn't want.

I won't risk a banning saying what I really want to say about this company but guess what I'm thinking. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I've just been Zamanoed!

I must have inadvertently hit an ad button (I suspect it was while playing Scrabble on my Android phone) and yesterday I got a message which flashed up that I had received a "reverse charge text".

I then noticed that 12.50 euro had been mysteriously deducted from my (prepay) account. I can be so specific because I had just topped up and knew that I had not deliberately made any chargeable calls.

A web chat with Vodafone alerted me that the premium call charge came from number 57030 aka Zamano.

The three texts I received from this number said

"AppMob Portal is a non subscrioption service it gives you 7 days access. Helpline 0766801002
    Click here http://mobi.appmoXXXXXX"
    (I won't complete the full address just in case somebody else clicks it with disastrous results. )

The second message says
    "Welcome to the AppMob Portal. You have 7 days access. Click here (addrss given) for your download. Helpline 0766801002"

"Download your tone and more here (address and number given)"

I then got a repeat of message 2.

I sent a stop message to the number and got a reply from Free Msg saying "You are not subscribed to any services"

I now have to faff around seeking a refund for something I didn't want.

I won't risk a banning saying what I really want to say about this company but guess what I'm thinking. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Email them for a refund at csemails@zamano.net they payout pretty much straight away. Tell them you want a copy of the data log the banner ad between yourself and them. Also ask them how they got your number was it via your service provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All those "services" where you can be robbed subscribed with one accidental click should be banned and replaced with a system where you must enter your number then you get a totally free subscription text which must explain fully that it will cost you lots of money and you must confirm and reply to subscribe.

But too many people with big business and political connections are making too much to stop these scams!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All those "services" where you can be robbed subscribed with one accidental click should be banned and replaced with a system where you must enter your number then you get a totally free subscription text which must explain fully that it will cost you lots of money and you must confirm and reply to subscribe.

But too many people with big business and political connections are making too much to stop these scams!

There was a proposal to put into consumer legislation a provision that people needed to actively ask for these services instead of being duped into getting billed by clicking on links. If enacted, the measures would have pretty rapidly put these people out of business. They threatened to go to law and the proposals were shelved.

Even with all the conspiracy theories floating around these days, the notion that these people get away with their business practices because they have 'connections' is a bit far-fetched. No political party would want to be associated with what is a business who's modus oprandi is to take money off people under false or grossly misleading pretences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Posted this over in eir's forum too but maybe some more experience/expertise here
    Hi,

more a query for other eir users and the team on here.

recently got charged 30 euro extra on my phone bill. With deeper digging, turns out its Zamano (57030).
    Now eir advised me to go to comreg, comreg then sent me to zamano. Zamano claim I subscribed for video content (video nudies more or less). The times give were 7.10 am on weekday mornings I'vè been on my way to work. I have never signed up to this. No history at all. Surely this is a data protection issue for phone companies? How did they get my phone number while I'm commuting? Ads on an app?

now zamano have hung up on me when I mentioned how they have been previously taken to court for illegally charging customers, and have been featured on consumer shows etc. They gave me no details of where they got my number, how, or what they claim I subscribed to. Where can I go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Posted this over in eir's forum too but maybe some more experience/expertise here
    Hi,

more a query for other eir users and the team on here.

recently got charged 30 euro extra on my phone bill. With deeper digging, turns out its Zamano (57030).
    Now eir advised me to go to comreg, comreg then sent me to zamano. Zamano claim I subscribed for video content (video nudies more or less). The times give were 7.10 am on weekday mornings I'vè been on my way to work. I have never signed up to this. No history at all. Surely this is a data protection issue for phone companies? How did they get my phone number while I'm commuting? Ads on an app?

now zamano have hung up on me when I mentioned how they have been previously taken to court for illegally charging customers, amd have been featured on consu er shows etc. They gave me no details of where they got my number, how, or what they claim I subscribed to. Where can I go now?
    Back to ComReg and tell them that Zamano hung up on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wow, this company is still scamming people? :mad:

I had a similar issue, I'm not bothered reading back through the thread and don't even remember the outcome, but thankfully nothing like it has happened to me again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519613

cormie wrote: »
    Wow, this company is still scamming people? :mad:

I had a similar issue, I'm not bothered reading back through the thread and don't even remember the outcome, but thankfully nothing like it has happened to me again.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055519613

Yip, still at it. Incredibly rude customer service to boot. According to the Irish Examiner thereis actually a case in progress against these cowboys for illegally taking peoples credit. Seems to be a blurry line between consent and informed consent and these operate in that place.

I actually care more now about how they acquired my number rather than the refund. I want exact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

How these parasites are allowed operate is amazing I detest them

jimmynokia wrote: »
    How these parasites are allowed operate is amazing I detest them

From previous threads on here, and from investigations by consumer experts, they seem happy enough to just refund people who challenge them, and shut down any questions or discussion about their murky operation.

whats spooked me more is that at least Vodafone and 3 (possibly other providers) are partners of Zamano's. No wonder phone companies paas the buck, they profit from this shady stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A friend of my Dad's got caught by these guys for a few months. He rang vodafone about it and they gave him an address to write to. I wrotr the letter for him and advised them that he did not sign up to anything, that he did not enter an contract with them.and they did not gave his consent to bill hom for services he did not request or recieve. He got a cheque within 5 days. I think he was being charged €25 euros a month.

Advertisement