Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Behan translation

• 13-06-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I hope one of you can help me with the following.

I am analyzing a Dutch translation of Brendan Behans Confessions of an Irish Rebel. The following sentence (in which he talks about the 1916 martyrs):

I knew their names and all belonging to them as well as I knew my own.

...has been translated (roughly) as:

I knew their names and personal particulars/details as well as I knew my own (personal particulars/details).

Now from reading Behan I always thought all belonging to them could only refer to 'all their family members/relations'. Am I right in thinking this? Appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Jonas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

Lurhstaap wrote: »
    Hi all,

I hope one of you can help me with the following.

I am analyzing a Dutch translation of Brendan Behans Confessions of an Irish Rebel. The following sentence (in which he talks about the 1916 martyrs):

I knew their names and all belonging to them as well as I knew my own.

...has been translated (roughly) as:

I knew their names and personal particulars/details as well as I knew my own (personal particulars/details).

Now from reading Behan I always thought all belonging to them could only refer to 'all their family members/relations'. Am I right in thinking this? Appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Jonas

You're absolutely correct on this. "All belonging to them" would be far more likely to refer to their relations than to their personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lurhstaap

Thanks a lot, Janey!

Advertisement