Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICU or WWKC for beginners?

• 10-04-2012 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Want to join a kayaking club and do a beginners club. I have looked at both ICU and WWKC options, both seem similar. ICU is cheaper, but I suppose the WWKC includes 18 month membership.

Are they both to be recommended or should I choose one over the other?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Robertd_07

ICU provides for instruction up to Level 2 cert and that is all.
    If you wish to go on river trips after completing your introductory course it costs €40 per trip.

WWKC provides for instruction to Level 2 cert and 18 months membership.
    Trips are run regularly (pretty much every 2 weeks) at no additional cost.
    There are other disciplines other than GP active within the club which are available to members, such as polo, slalom, canadian, white water racing, marathon racing.
    Contact the club if you want any more info. beginners@wwkc.net

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

I did the wwkc beginners course last year. I can't recommend it enough.maybe I was lucky and got a good group but I had a blast. The 18month membership is great plus you can use their eq for a year after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Definitely go for the club, the ICU want your money and nothing else, far better off join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

K_1 wrote: »
    Definitely go for the club, the ICU want your money and nothing else, far better off join a club.

Let's not bash the band formally known as the ICU (Canoeing Ireland now), or at least confine bashing to their actual offences. :)

The club membership includes your ICU/CI membership. If your a member then you are the CI (not in a CSI or UC way :))

Depends on the price but a club is the way to go, it is not all about the level 2 cert. The club will expose you to the competitive side of paddling too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

Zuppy wrote: »
    Let's not bash the band formally known as the ICU (Canoeing Ireland now), or at least confine bashing to their actual offences. :)

The club membership includes your ICU/CI membership. If your a member then you are the CI (not in a CSI or UC way :))

Depends on the price but a club is the way to go, it is not all about the level 2 cert. The club will expose you to the competitive side of paddling too.

In fairness, with the ICU's courses you're a customer, in a club you're a club member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

In fairness, with the ICU's courses you're a customer, in a club you're a club member.

I agree with that but lets be honest the money to run the ICU (or a club) has to come from somewhere. Courses are the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nail and head !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Having previously been a member of WWKC and teaching a few courses many years ago, I would say go with them. Think of it this way, Both will teach you how to kayak but WWKC will help with the after sales service. Pool sessions in the winter to help learn various skills, great social seen. WWKC is a very friendly club.

I have nothing against the ICU or what ever they want to call themselves now adays, but I believe a club will give you more options to fully enjoy canoeing.

Advertisement