Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

SwiftKey keyboard ftw!

Never got the hang of it. Feels weird sliding your finger around. Its like me trying to slide my finger across the laptop keyboard. Stock Android Keyboard from the marketplace for me ;)

Only Keyboard I like on Android. I think I have a few third party ones purchased ones from the marketplace too. I still prefer the Stock Android keyboard over the whole lot, HTC's keyboard then afterwards. Well the rest just doesn't get along with me.

Will have a video review posted tomorrow evening hopefully :)

Its a lovely phone in terms of hardware, cant give it thumbs up for design or size though.

Its longer and thinner than my Titan, a lot bigger than my Sensation. I don't have a One X one me to compare but after using a 4.7" screen phone since autumn last year Ive gotten tired of large screens, their extremely useful for watching movies, but over long period of surfing the web or playing games your hand would get tired, though might be slightly different for the S3, its plastic body makes it a lot lighter than a full aluminium phone :) .

Id always prefer a smaller one now though. I miss the days when 4" screen was plenty.

Size and design is the only con I can give to this so far, out of the couple of games and apps ive tried to install NFS Hot Pursuit didn't want to work :( .

Impressed with the screen quality, camera, performance and battery life so far. Samsung focused mainly on the Software during their launch and that seems to me where most improvements are found :)

Tomorrow will be the real test though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

Ok so i tryin to get one in the mornin in limerick would i be better going to a carphone warehouse or a meteor store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Evolution, I think you're mixing swift key up with Swype. Swift key is a keyboard you press, has very good predictions, learns from your emails and texts . My missis swears by it, I use Swype myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Got mine last night at midnight launch in CPW Cork. First impressions quite happy slick phone.

I noticed despite signing into dropbox on the phone my account still hasnt been given the 50gigs does this take time?

Also is there no way of changing the lockscreen apps? I dont want chaton there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Evolution, I think you're mixing swift key up with Swype. Swift key is a keyboard you press, has very good predictions, learns from your emails and texts . My missis swears by it, I use Swype myself

Sorry mixing up the names. Got that keyboard on sale last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

A~RGHHHHHH

The phone has started talking to me and telling me who is sending me messages and I I can not find the disable button. This only started happening this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Does shouting: "GALAXY STFU" not work?

srsly78 wrote: »
    Does shouting: "GALAXY STFU" not work?

Actually no, so much for S-Voice

Damn. Well... go into settings-> phone settings -> voice commands -> text readout -> off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Would it be stupid to get this after having the s2 for 6 months? How much would it cost and by any chance would you get it for cheaper if you handed in the old phone

• Advertisement

If you are poor then yes. If you are rich then probably yes as well. If you are really really rich then go nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Rang Vodafone customer care and the rep said no to an early upgrade, that puts an end to that, gotta serve my full sentence. Thur 7th can't come soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Rang Vodafone customer care and the rep said no to an early upgrade, that puts an end to that, gotta serve my full sentence. Thur 7th can't come soon enough

Thats a bit harsh of them aint it!!!

Davie89 wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh of them aint it!!!

Is it? Isnt that the point of a contract?

fionny wrote: »
    Is it? Isnt that the point of a contract?

Ah but for the sake of 7 days? From a customer whom as been with them for 12/18/24 months and is looking to stay with them longer! Its just very cold IMO, treating you as a number type thing rather than an actual person who has been a customer of theirs for X months

Ah but for the sake of 7 days? From a customer whom as been with them for 12/18/24 months and is looking to stay with them longer! Its just very cold IMO, treating you as a number type thing rather than an actual person who has been a customer of theirs for X months

Ah sorry ya missed that bit. That is a bit much alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,299 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

do any of the providers have a demo model yet as I went into all of them on Grafton St yesterday and they didn't have one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Does anyone know if the flap on the official flip case has a magnet to keep it closed or does it hang loose?

Btw its cheaper on amazon.de than .co.uk http://www.amazon.de/Samsung-EFC-1G6-cover-Galaxy-chrom-blau/dp/B0080CXR8M/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1338549719&sr=1-1-catcorr

Skerries wrote: »
    do any of the providers have a demo model yet as I went into all of them on Grafton St yesterday and they didn't have one?

Would like to know this also! Anyone who was in CPW last night in Cork see if they had a demo model??

Would like to know this also! Anyone who was in CPW last night in Cork see if they had a demo model??

Yes the did in Cork last night, one of the guys had a working one for that purpose. (this is in the CPW beside the meteor shop not the one across from merchants quay)

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Damn. Well... go into settings-> phone settings -> voice commands -> text readout -> off.

Driving mode was on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Vodafone were sold out when I went to order online, and they weren't getting them in until 12pm today in the Grafton St store. Went to CPW and they matched VF's online price, happy days I have my new SIII.

It's a pain in the hole, but it will be worth the wait for you.. I have been eligible for upgrade for about 8 months, figured i'd leave off on the SII and wait for the SIII... How happy am I right now??! :D:D

Anyone know is there a way of telling if a phone is unlocked short of putting another sim in it? As its microsim I know nobody I can skag on off to test it. Or least not easily with the iphone one's being trickier to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Blackrock Vodafone have one. Played with the demo one for a while and was so impressed I walked out with a live one!

Sweet phone!
    Skerries wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Lads, was just looking at meteors latest offer there..

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/bill-pay-phones/samsung-galaxy-s-III

Looks like their lowest bill pay option now has free meteor talk + text included if bought online(As well as 200 mins/texts to any network). I know there only 500mb of data in the plan but if you've wifi at home and at work, this might be plenty(I do so I only ever end up using about 200 mb a month).

On a 18 month contract, its €20.33 a month plus €300 upfront for the phone. That works out at €665 altogether over the life of the contract. Thats only €40 more than the phone is sim free for a fairly useable amount of mins/texts/data. If you're on meteor already and you wouldnt mind a new s3, that wouldnt be a bad option by any means IMHO.. Meteors phones are probably unlocked too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

fionny wrote: »
    Anyone know is there a way of telling if a phone is unlocked short of putting another sim in it? As its microsim I know nobody I can skag on off to test it. Or least not easily with the iphone one's being trickier to get out.

Type *#7465625# A window will pop up telling you what locks are on.

I picked up a meteor one this morning and its simfree. Im actually happy with the feel of it, the plastic feels nowhere near flimsy or cheap as had been made out in some reviews. I havn't had a good play with it yet but so far so good no noticable bugs or issues for me its a definite step up from the S2 Imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Sweet, my three galaxy s3 is sim free aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I got mine pay as you go from Vodafone and its sim free as well :)

Thor wrote: »

5500 wrote: »

I picked up a meteor one this morning and its simfree. Im actually happy with the feel of it, the plastic feels nowhere near flimsy or cheap as had been made out in some reviews. I havn't had a good play with it yet but so far so good no noticable bugs or issues for me its a definite step up from the S2 Imo

Handy!

Yup my meteor one is simfree, I guess they have realised its just not worth their while locking them any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

5500 wrote: »

Thor wrote: »
    elderlemon wrote: »
    I got mine pay as you go from Vodafone and its sim free as well :)

Cheers 5500, that's handy.. Mine is completely unlocked too.. Happy days!

Advertisement