Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midered/mithered

• 26-02-2011 1:37pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Curious about the etymology of this term. "I was well mithered" - I was annoyed/irritated.
    I have heard it frequently in Ireland and Cumbria.
    Likewise with "vexed" - not that I am, mind you, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Do you want my unsubstantiated guesswork?
    Mithered sounds like it comes from Irish, perhaps a similar word exists in Scots Gaelic which would trickle down to Cumbria. I bet a Gaelgoir would be able to tell you if such a word exists. The way the 'th' sound is pronounced is fairly common in Hiberno English.
    Vexed sounds Elizabethan to me. Maybe used in Shakespeare?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

slowburner wrote: »

I think you have to register to see any information will that link?

I use Mithered more to mean headwrecked or confused.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think you have to register to see any information will that link?

I use Mithered more to mean headwrecked or confused.

My apologies. It seems that the url I gave above no longer goes to the relevant bit. I'll try an find it again.

No luck, I'm afraid. Things have changed on that forum since I was there last. The information regarding usage of Midered across the pond, was quite interesting. Pity.

• Advertisement

clouds wrote: »
    Do you want my unsubstantiated guesswork?
    Mithered sounds like it comes from Irish, perhaps a similar word exists in Scots Gaelic which would trickle down to Cumbria. I bet a Gaelgoir would be able to tell you if such a word exists. The way the 'th' sound is pronounced is fairly common in Hiberno English.
    Vexed sounds Elizabethan to me. Maybe used in Shakespeare?

From what I can glean, the word is prevalent in the North of England and Ireland.

Advertisement