Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JJ Kavanagh and Sons New Timetable system

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

validis_ wrote: »
    We have added some new features to help commuters on our site.

http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables
    Timetable now accessible via text message, and via new site. Fares and maps of stops included

http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables/departure-board
    Departure board of buses leaving a particular stop.

Would love to hear how we could make it better for you?

Adam

A simple pdf of each route's full timetable would be a help (similar to that offered by Bus Éireann) - it is rather difficult to find that information.

People often like to carry a timetable with them - it's a lot easier to see the different options.

Also, why is it impossible to find any timetable information on town services?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

Thanks for the feedback , We will add pdf's of all of our timetables this week including the local services.

Would be great to get any other feedback .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's a web site to be proud of. Dublin Bus would do well to copy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I haven't gone through it, but it looks like a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭patrickc

can i say as a regular user of the site and your buses well done a vast improvement on the old one

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback , We will add pdf's of all of our timetables this week including the local services.

Would be great to get any other feedback .

That would be a great help. Coupled with the improved features that are now on the website, I think that it will be a vast improvement.

Full timetables are very useful as they give customers a lot more info than just departure boards.

It also will be very interesting to see the full range of town services offered by JJ Kavanagh for the first time!

In order to view the full timetables at the moment the best way todo it is to goto: http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables

Click on the schedule tab
    Select the timetable you want to view
    once it has opened there should be a print friendly button under the schedule.

Alternatively, if you do a standard stop to stop search, once the results open and you click on the option you want there should again be a printer friendly version that shows times , prices and maps of the stops.

Let me know how you get on, we will add some tutorials during the week onto the site.
    KC61 wrote: »
    That would be a great help. Coupled with the improved features that are now on the website, I think that it will be a vast improvement.

Full timetables are very useful as they give customers a lot more info than just departure boards.

It also will be very interesting to see the full range of town services offered by JJ Kavanagh for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Hi,

I'm trying to find the Newbridge - Kilcullen timetable but I'm not having much look...

I put both places into the journey planner but nothing came back.

H

Hi Heart, the newbridge - Kilcullen is part of the rapid towns service , we are working on adding it to the system. You would be surpised how much work and data is involved inc geocodeing stops , fares for every stop to every stop for every ticket type etc.
    but we are working on it :-), feedback here has been good , but polls on the site are showing people don't like the new timetable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the other timetables, it all looks good. I did find, from a user point of view, the information required was a bit detailed when I just wanted a copy of the timetable to print.

Perhaps a page with just pdf links would be good, if possible.

Something like:

Printed Timetables:
    Click on a timetable to download and print.

Then hyperlinks to the pdf's of the routes...

H

• Advertisement

As Heart says, I do think that the most basic form of information should be a pdf document for each individual route and individual rapid towns service.

Then build upwards from that.

Bus Éireann do that very well on their website, with a good index, and it makes it very easy to get a full timetable for each route that can be printed off as necessary.

Keep it simple is the best motto when it comes to timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KC61 wrote: »
    Keep it simple is the best motto when it comes to timetables.
    Agreed.

Thanks for all the feedback, since I was last here we have added a tutorial to explain the new timetable system.

The PDFs of our timetables are now available here http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables/print-pdf
    We have added our main routes and some of our rapid town services.

I agree with keep it simple , but it is hard to balance features such as fares , date specific searches , maps of stops etc and still keep it super simple. We will keep changing based on feedback.

Thanks

Thanks for all the feedback, since I was last here we have added a tutorial to explain the new timetable system.

The PDFs of our timetables are now available here http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables/print-pdf
    We have added our main routes and some of our rapid town services.

I agree with keep it simple , but it is hard to balance features such as fares , date specific searches , maps of stops etc and still keep it super simple. We will keep changing based on feedback.

Thanks

Adam,

Well done - that's exactly what I was suggesting!

When I say "keep it simple", I mean start with the very basic information.

When providing public transport timetables, the first port of call should ALWAYS be a printed full timetable for each service. I know from my own experience that I don't always get the same bus every day, and it's always handy to have a copy of the full timetable in my wallet so that I can see what my options are.

However, once that is available, journey planners and the other information (such as fares, maps etc.) are the next logical step. I think that once you have both options, people can choose which they want to use. Like everything, it'll take people a bit of getting used to, but with the option of printing the pdf timetable I think it'll work in the longer term.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the jjkavanagh group timetables in due course!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

great website and easy to use!:)

Would you not consider a service to in portarlington to portlaoise in morns as there are now other providers. trains leave at 7am not other one until 10am!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No routes found when searching?

Hey Danno , what were you searching for ?
    We also have most of our timetables here as PDFs
    http://jjkavanagh.ie/timetables/print-pdf

Adam

Advertisement