Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing currency

Options
  • 05-05-2015 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey, I'm hoping someone may be able to assist? I'm heading over to the UK to buy a car in about 2 weeks. I have about 18k Euro and I'm looking to pay the least amount on the currency exchange as possible. As it stands I would be paying about €400 going through the bank. I'd like to obviously avoid paying this much.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

Currencyfair.com or UKForex.com but both of these require a UK bank account to send it too. If you had the Car sellers bank you could wire the money and save a fortune. On 18k you could save hundreds using either one of these currency sites. I would look to set up an account today as the security on the sites can take a few days o confirm your identity.

Otherwise the post office are commission free but your exchange rate will not be as good as an exchange site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dannysmarter

derra_121 wrote: »
    Currencyfair.com or UKForex.com but both of these require a UK bank account to send it too. If you had the Car sellers bank you could wire the money and save a fortune. On 18k you could save hundreds using either one of these currency sites. I would look to set up an account today as the security on the sites can take a few days o confirm your identity.

Otherwise the post office are commission free but your exchange rate will not be as good as an exchange site.

Thanks for the advise Derra, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Did the same myself and used Currency Fair and transferred the money direct to the dealers Bank Account. Use CF all the time and find their rates great

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

skippy2 wrote: »
    Did the same myself and used Currency Fair and transferred the money direct to the dealers Bank Account. Use CF all the time and find their rates great

+1 did same myself last month. Went to dealer that morning. When happy with car, went online and transferred money. Took approx 3 hours to get to dealers account.

Advertisement