Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yay new build!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nertballs wrote: »
    i'd go for the asus personally, the direct cu II is a tank of a cooler.

18 euro difference, is it €18 better?

It does look snazzy and seems to be built better than the Windforce. That backplate could sway me yet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Worth noting on today's today only page:
    Samsung 830 £75.59/€94.28
    750W Antec True power new modular hybrid £64.79/€80.83

Incidentally, in case you didn't know, the 750W Antec TPN and the XFX 750W are near identical PSUs, with the Antec having a bit more of an edge with the semi-modularity and apparently a few extra good tweaks as well. Both PSUs are built by Seasonic (and probably the same core internals).

Monotype wrote: »
    Worth noting on today's today only page:
    Samsung 830 £75.59/€94.28
    750W Antec True power new modular hybrid £64.79/€80.83

Incidentally, in case you didn't know, the 750W Antec TPN and the XFX 750W are near identical PSUs, with the Antec having a bit more of an edge with the semi-modularity and apparently a few extra good tweaks as well. Both PSUs are built by Seasonic (and probably the same core internals).

Won't be buying until tomorrow at the earliest, might get an order in early though. The 830 doesn't really matter, the base version is that price all the time but the SATA cable would be nice for free. More interested in the PSU, hopefully that offer stays. Cheers for the advice (again :pac:)

Last question, what's the story with getting the VAT off? I have a VAT number (my beloved ma :pac:) so do I just put that in and get the VAT off at source before payment? Also, does this have any impact whatsoever on the taxman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Last question, what's the story with getting the VAT off? I have a VAT number (my beloved ma :pac:) so do I just put that in and get the VAT off at source before payment? Also, does this have any impact whatsoever on the taxman?

It might be worth your while ringing them, I just did so they could sort out my account so I can order the Antec True Power New 750W and a 256GB Samsung 830 for my build... Very good value PSU it seems. Are you going for the same one?

^^ I hope you got them at the today only prices.

Edit: Oh, you haven't ordered, you just rang them up to sort a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

To make sure she can claim the Vat back, the invoice should be in her business name and address . Best thing to do is give her the cash minus the Vat, and ask her to pay for it using a company card/account to be sure. Used to get my old man to do same.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

^^ I hope you got them at the today only prices.

Edit: Oh, you haven't ordered, you just rang them up to sort a problem.

Yeah, can't decide whether to get it or not now, since the cheaper 256GB Samsung 830 is out of stock. Would be cheaper to get a 780W Superflower Amazon or a TX750M from Hardwareversand...
    Will have to look around for where to buy the Samsung 830 also...

glynf wrote: »
    To make sure she can claim the Vat back, the invoice should be in her business name and address . Best thing to do is give her the cash minus the Vat, and ask her to pay for it using a company card/account to be sure. Used to get my old man to do same.:)

So it isn't deducted at source then? I was under the impression it was, at least for non-Irish companies seeing as it's hard to claim VAT back from abroad.

• Advertisement

It is only deducted at source-if you don't have a Vat number, but if they can claim it back they will be giving the 23% back to you anyway?

Once you are Vat registered and you buy from any Vat registered EU company, you should not have to pay Vat. Best ring them before putting on your order to confirm (Just checked with my mate who is an accountant & his company deal with French/Dutch companies).

Edit:

Give a look here;

I am a VAT registered person. Can I buy goods VAT free from a business in another Member State of the E.U.?

Yes, once the goods are purchased for the purposes of your business. The purchase of goods from a person in another E.U. Member State is called, in VAT terminology, an 'intra-Community acquisition' of the goods. The sale of goods to a VAT registered person in another Member State is called an 'intra-Community supply'. The procedures to be followed are set out below:

You must quote your VAT number to the supplier. The supply will then be zero-rated in the Member State of dispatch as an E.U. intra-Community supply.
    You (the taxable customer) become liable for VAT on the acquisition of the goods in this State. You must account for VAT on the goods at the rate that would apply to the supply of those goods in Ireland.
    To do this, you declare a liability for VAT in your VAT3 return form in the T1 box.
    If you are entitled to full deductibility (input credit), the VAT payable on the intra-Community acquisition is deducted in the same VAT period at T2 on the VAT3, thus effectively cancelling out the VAT liability. If you are not entitled to deductibility (e.g. flat-rate farmer, State body) you put a zero in the T2 box. If you are entitled to partial deductibility, and the good represents a 'dual-use input', you may claim the appropriate percentage of the VAT, as agreed with the local Revenue District.
    You must also account for VAT on any subsequent supply of the goods in the appropriate VAT return.
    In addition to the accounting requirements above, the VAT 3 return requires the taxable person to declare summary VAT details. It includes a statistical box in respect of intra-Community Acquisitions that must be completed (E2).

Further information is available in the information leaflets on the subjects of E.U. Intra-Community Acquisitions and E.U. Intra-Community Supplies on the Revenue website.

Just make sure its in her company name & quote the Vat no. and you will be fine.

It is only deducted at source-if you don't have a Vat number, but if they can claim it back they will be giving the 23% back to you anyway?

Once you are Vat registered and you buy from any Vat registered EU company, you should not have to pay Vat. Best ring them before putting on your order to confirm (Just checked with my mate who is an accountant & his company deal with French/Dutch companies).

Edit:

Give a look here;

I am a VAT registered person. Can I buy goods VAT free from a business in another Member State of the E.U.?

Yes, once the goods are purchased for the purposes of your business. The purchase of goods from a person in another E.U. Member State is called, in VAT terminology, an 'intra-Community acquisition' of the goods. The sale of goods to a VAT registered person in another Member State is called an 'intra-Community supply'. The procedures to be followed are set out below:

You must quote your VAT number to the supplier. The supply will then be zero-rated in the Member State of dispatch as an E.U. intra-Community supply.
    You (the taxable customer) become liable for VAT on the acquisition of the goods in this State. You must account for VAT on the goods at the rate that would apply to the supply of those goods in Ireland.
    To do this, you declare a liability for VAT in your VAT3 return form in the T1 box.
    If you are entitled to full deductibility (input credit), the VAT payable on the intra-Community acquisition is deducted in the same VAT period at T2 on the VAT3, thus effectively cancelling out the VAT liability. If you are not entitled to deductibility (e.g. flat-rate farmer, State body) you put a zero in the T2 box. If you are entitled to partial deductibility, and the good represents a 'dual-use input', you may claim the appropriate percentage of the VAT, as agreed with the local Revenue District.
    You must also account for VAT on any subsequent supply of the goods in the appropriate VAT return.
    In addition to the accounting requirements above, the VAT 3 return requires the taxable person to declare summary VAT details. It includes a statistical box in respect of intra-Community Acquisitions that must be completed (E2).

Further information is available in the information leaflets on the subjects of E.U. Intra-Community Acquisitions and E.U. Intra-Community Supplies on the Revenue website.

Just make sure its in her company name & quote the Vat no. and you will be fine.
    Ok, so trying to get my head around this. No VAT is paid initially (or at all, eventually), am I right here? I'm horrible with taxes :o

Have you looked at ex VAT prices while you've been shopping? I think HWV is just 13.5% or something and scan are 20% so HWV mightn't necessarily have the best ex VAT value around. Even komplett or memoryc might have some good stuff when you discount 23%!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Despite using my computer daily for my parents business, they won't claim back the vat for me on a new pc I ordered. Apparently they would need to prove that they need the computer in the small business and would incur extra charges because of that...! Can someone tell me if there is any truth in what they are saying?!

Have you looked at ex VAT prices while you've been shopping? I think HWV is just 13.5% or something and scan are 20% so HWV mightn't necessarily have the best ex VAT value around. Even komplett or memoryc might have some good stuff when you discount 23%!

I asked about this, the German VAT rate is 19% so I'd assume it's 19% off?

I think someone here who claimed it back got something like that. Looking at my last order there, I can't see any evidence of what was charged.

On their VAT page, they say they mark prices @ 19% but charge for the country - 21%/13.5%. Prices don't change when your order though unless they are detecting region automatically with IP address. They must be either charging at the lower rate so or at the higher rate and absorbing the difference.

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/infoagbprivat.jsp

If you do order from there then, let us know how much it is when you get it back.

Just more things to confuse me :(

Edit:

Give a look here;

[COLOR="Blue"]

Further information is available in the information leaflets on the subjects of E.U. Intra-Community Acquisitions and E.U. Intra-Community Supplies on the Revenue website.[/COLOR]

Ok, so trying to get my head around this. No VAT is paid initially (or at all, eventually), am I right here? I'm horrible with taxes :o

In a nutshell yes. I was a sole trader for 5/6 years (and soon to be back at same :)) and my main client was uk based. I allways invoiced excluding vat as I was not uk based, I could have, but it creates hassle for both parties.

If I was doing work for A. Irish company, I had to charge vat. Basically the way it worked (few years back) is at the end of vat period you do a return, and the amount of vat you spent on work related expenses was deducted off what you charged, the balance you owed the vat man.

As above, ask the person with the vat
    No. to purchase using their company aloes them to claim the vat back. They might want to confirm with their accountant.

Edit:

Not sure about Hwvs, but amazon.de bump the vat from 19% to 23% when I order from here (as a civilian/not. A reg business), imagine its same for all.

@ frozen, not sure tbh, yes they definatley have to say its for the business if they are buying for the company-not sure about the rest, there is prob a limit to the amount of stuff out can write off, they might be at that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I have been comparing ex vat prices between here and HWVS, think I seen somewhere on their site that they use 21% for Ireland, dunno if that changed with the increase though. either way my ex vat build still works out cheaper getting through Dabs/Komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Despite using my computer daily for my parents business, they won't claim back the vat for me on a new pc I ordered. Apparently they would need to prove that they need the computer in the small business and would incur extra charges because of that...! Can someone tell me if there is any truth in what they are saying?!

This can be the case..as far as i know from studing tax in my degree the revenue can ask any VAT registered company or person to allow them to complete an audit of their company..and sometimes companies are picked at random but it shouldn't be too hard to convince them about a computer..as in every business keeping records and office work now is the norm..I doubt that they'd go into details of particular components just overall price but still you can just say I went for quality parts and future proofing. I can't see how any extra charges would be incurred tho.

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    I have been comparing ex vat prices between here and HWVS, think I seen somewhere on their site that they use 21% for Ireland, dunno if that changed with the increase though. either way my ex vat build still works out cheaper getting through Dabs/Komplett

The general rule for buying inside the eu vis the internet is that VAT is paid on items at the rate applicable in the country where the goods are being bought..ie Germany for HWVS.. So it would be 19% however if that company's total sales to people from a certian member state reaches a threshold (varies from €34,000 to €100,000 depending on the state) then they are liable to register for VAT to be charged at the rate in the destination member state..ie in this case Ireland so 23%. However a company can opt to take this approach no matter what the level of sales is..

So I'd say HWVS has to charge VAT at our rate beause it is above the threshold..

Basically a summary of the eu customs information page..

So we're kinda being screwed out if 4% savings because of the popularity of HWVS in ireland..

• Advertisement

U_Fig wrote: »
    This can be the case..as far as i know from studing tax in my degree the revenue can ask any VAT registered company or person to allow them to complete an audit of their company..and sometimes companies are picked at random but it shouldn't be too hard to convince them about a computer..as in every business keeping records and office work now is the norm..I doubt that they'd go into details of particular components just overall price but still you can just say I went for quality parts and future proofing. I can't see how any extra charges would be incurred tho.

The general rule for buying inside the eu vis the internet is that VAT is paid on items at the rate applicable in the country where the goods are being bought..ie Germany for HWVS.. So it would be 19% however if that company's total purchases from people from a certian member state reaches a threshold (varies from €34,000 to €100,000 depending on the state) then they are liable to register for VAT to be charged at the rate in the destination member state..ie in this case Ireland so 23%. However a company can opt to take this approach no matter what the level of sales is..

So I'd say HWVS has to charge VAT at our rate beause it is above the threshold..

Basically a summary of the eu customs information page..

So we're kinda being screwed out if 4% savings because of the popularity of HWVS in ireland..

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Sounds like HWVS are shifting a lot of gear if they are at that Vat threshold...BTW they're crap people, don't bother with em :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Sounds like HWVS are shifting a lot of gear if they are at that Vat threshold...BTW they're crap people, don't bother with em :D

Ireland's threshold is €35,000 so that means that all it would take is say 35 full builds ordered at €1000 to break that so its not that much considering that's in a year for the entire Irish population buying any parts from them for a year. ..and if they break the threashold in one year the must do it for subsequent years..But in a way its not too bad ad VAT on everything we buy from them goes to the Irish government and we all know how much they're in need of funds :D

Anybody got the detailed instructions (seen em before here) on going through the HWVS buying process? I'm leaving nothing to chance :p

Right, so I put the order through (after battling through the address system, awful!), emailed auftrag@harwareversand.de about the VAT details, and am waiting on a response. Am I doing it right? :pac:

Right, so I put the order through (after battling through the address system, awful!), emailed auftrag@harwareversand.de about the VAT details, and am waiting on a response. Am I doing it right? :pac:

was your last post your final build?

I'd say they will ask for the VAT number and as long as it's in the company's name and address should be good to go.

BhoyRayzor wrote: »
    was your last post your final build?

I'd say they will ask for the VAT number and as long as it's in the company's name and address should be good to go.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€212.12
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€128.51
    Corsair Carbide Series 500R White, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€92.93
    8GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24 (DDR3-1600)|€47.93
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€92.02
    Good Connections DVI-D 24+1 Anschlusskabel 1,5m|€5.49
    ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5, GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5|€401.85
    Razer DeathAdder Re-Spawn, USB, 3500 dpi|€45.39
    2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 120 mm Lüfter 1150 rpm|€22.20
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1067.43

The rest is to come from Scan. Got a "ticket" this morning, respond to my mail properly :mad:

The rest is to come from Scan. Got a "ticket" this morning, respond to my mail properly :mad:

Still waiting. Reckon I should send them another mail?

I was looking at the today only today and I thought they had a very bad selection for the weekend (which is usually a bit better). Must have been yesterday's stuff.

That's a good PSU.

• Advertisement

what way are you doing air flow in this case? intake front and top and out take back and side?

Advertisement