Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PSA 1.6 HDI – injector issues.

• 16-04-2012 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Just wondering if this engine is known for injector problems? I know it’s used in a lot of different cars – Volvo s40, Ford Focus, Citroen C4 & C5, Peugeot 407 etc so there must be a good few cars out there with it. My 08 Citroen C5 had a problem with a leaking injector about 3 months ago. It now has another injector issue (which is causing the car to run roughly). The car doesn’t have huge mileage on it (97,000KM) and has always been looked after and serviced as per the schedule. I’m just wondering if I have been unlucky or if this engine is known to be troublesome? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Soft engine unloved by mechanics but used in a huge range of cars etc. The injector set up on the psa hdi range is 4rse. Leaking injector bottom seals(the little copper ones at the bottom:)) causes combustion gasses to escape and pass up along the injector stem, carbonising the other two seals and giving a chuffing noise as the engine runs, along with a sort of "epoxy"like build up around the injector/head mating surface. IMO, why they leak is a crap injector hold down set-up(those "high tensile" bolts psa use are chewing gum and a real pita when they snap flush with the head as you tighten them - a lot of the hdi's also use the single bolt/stupid finger to hold the injectors down which a 5 year old could tell you does not exert enough clamping pressure.
    The injectors can also be a massive pain to remove, especially injectors 3 and 4 as they are hidden/often stuck fast with crud build up/corrosion. Personally, I feckin hate them and I have one out in the shed to extract a broken injector hold down bolt this evening for a fella(I weld a lot for people and the "easiest" way to extract the flush, snapped feckers is to build them up with the mig and finally weld on a nut and extract/re-drill and re-thread the hole, replace with oversized genuine high tensile bolt.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Row

As potter has said (well..:)) leaking injector seals are a common problem on the 1.6 hdi engines...The biggest part of the job is to remove the black carbon like substance around the injector(s)
    Had a c4 a last year where the injectors were sized in the head due to water getting in around the injector stems and rusting tru time...tried a large sliding hammer to remove them which was a waist of time...ended up making a special pullers to them out..works everytime now..:)

@Pottler...if you give the injector clamping bolts a crack (with torx socket attached) with a hammer to shock them can sometimes help..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Row wrote: »
    As potter has said (well..:)) leaking injector seals are a common problem on the 1.6 hdi engines...The biggest part of the job is to remove the black carbon like substance around the injector(s)
    Had a c4 a last year where the injectors were sized in the head due to water getting in around the injector stems and rusting tru time...tried a large sliding hammer to remove them which was a waist of time...ended up making a special pullers to them out..works everytime now..:)

@Pottler...if you give the injector clamping bolts a crack (with torx socket attached) with a hammer to shock them can sometimes help..:)
    Hey Row, no bother getting the feckers out, it's usually getting them to hold torque without snapping when putting them back in:) I also made up a pullers to get the injectors out and dont find them as hard to extract as say a transits(older) but I never have any faith in the level of clamping pressure exerted to hold them in place when re-inserted. I actually have come to despise the Peugeots because they just seem to use such crap grades of fasteners throughout.

Advertisement