Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Under Sink Water Filter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

aah yes wrote: »
    You can't remove fluoride with a Brita jug.

Even better so given that more and more independent studies are debunking the health concerns! It removes the taste, that's all I want it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

The largest population study on the effects of fluoride has taken place involving billions of people since the middle of the last century.

Consequently, fluoridated water at target levels of 0.5mg/L to 1 mg/L has had no discernible impact on human health.

Except a beneficial one regarding dental care.

If fluoride was a killer, the concentration of 1,000 times the level found in toothpaste would have to be lowered or removed altogether ?

For 50 years or more since fluoride has been loaded into toothpaste at 1,000 times the level of tap water, it has only had positive press.

Elemental sodium as an intake in to our bodies combined with chloride at levels of 2,400 mg (sodium) per day (or one teaspoon [5,000 mg] of salt as sodium chloride) is seen as an RDA trace mineral we need to use to stay alive.

However, studies show that increased levels of up to 8,000 mg of salt or around 3,000 mg of sodium per day that the average population take in could be causing an extra 5,000 deaths per year in the UK alone.

Extrapolate that death figure across the whole planet, for a trace element our body needs at a level of 2,400 mg per day, and compare the beneficial entry level of 0.5 mg/L of fluoride recommended.

If say we drank a litre of tap water per day that would be 0.5 mg of fluoride taken daily, so then our normal sodium intake is 4,800 times more than fluoride, and this is proven good for us, yet fluoride protestors say the 0.5 mg is not ?

Scientists prove over the last 70 years or so that if you raise the 1 mg fluoride upper recommended level to four times the upper recommendation, then at 4 mg fluoride per day, some aesthetic issues could occur affecting say brown mottling on teeth, already studied thousands of times over a century.

But it only takes a good essential trace element such as sodium at 2,400 mg per day intake which we need to raise 30% over the normal daily intake level (not 4 times or 400%), to start causing 1,000's of death fatalities per year in the UK alone.

So fluoride at half a part per million - 1/2 ppm can offer a dental benefit, but is proven over 100 years of study on up to billions of people in the last 70 years to be safe as there are zero death extrapolations per country or for the planet as a whole at this level.

Raise fluoride to the level of the sodium we intake daily at 4,800 time the strength, well over the 1,000 times level found in toothpaste, lets say eat a few tubes of toothpaste, and then I think it is understandable you might want to go and see a doctor.

"Doctor, I have eaten 5 tubes of fluoride toothpaste"

"why"

"To prove fluoride is bad for you"

"Well, any self respecting anti-fluoride protestor could have told you that".

to be exact our RDA of sodium chloride (per day) is 6 gram or 6,000 mg, and for every 1 gram over or 1,000 mg over and above our daily RDA, it is suggested 5,000 deaths a year in the UK alone are attributed to this 1 g difference

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

As a matter of interest how do these systems deal with cryptosporidium ?

thebackbar wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how do these systems deal with cryptosporidium ?

Filter systems with mechanical barrier filtration using pore sizes under 1 micron in size are very effective for Crypto removal.

Cryptosporidium cysts are around 2 to 3 microns in size, so sub-1micron filters are good at aiming for the 99.95% reduction level the health board aim for in bacterial contaminated waters.

Some filters are "nominal" pore size and do not offer super exact filtration at a given micron size, so it is worth ignoring say nominal 1 micron filters.

Some offer "absolute" filtration at a given pore size say 0.9 micron absolute, like Doulton Ceramic filter cartridges, again fairly good for Crypto removal.

With permeable or semi-permeable membranes like UF ultrafiltration hollow fibre membranes or RO reverse osmosis membranes you can get far better levels of filtration and even combine the two types of membrane to get even better.

So with an Aquaphor K7B cartridge which has both a 0.9 micron nominal bacteriostatic silver carbon block and a Mitsubishi UF 0.1 micron absolute hollow fibre membrane with nominal pore size of 0.02 microns, you are guaranteed to eliminate Crypto in the range of 99.9999% reduction.

With an RO or reverse osmosis membrane at 1/10,000th of 1 micron nominal reduction, along with an Aquaphor K7B cartridge, the Crypto reduction figures end up at 99.9999999999 and beyond, assuming there was enough crypto to put this removal level to the test.

In other words, normal levels of lake or stream Cryptosporidium would be removed by these filters at 100%, but instead of dozens of Cryptosporidium cysts if there were trillions of Cryptosporidium cysts in a small measure of water (billions of times the normal levels), ultimately an RO and UF filter combination would remove these levels of Crypto down to low single figures or even zero.

• Advertisement

... Trying to squeeze an unusually small Cryptosporidium cyst say as low as 1 micron, through the average pore of an RO membrane would be like trying to squeeze a 10 metre diameter hot air balloon through the eye of a needle.

... Trying to squeeze an unusually small Cryptosporidium cyst say as low as 1 micron, through the average pore of a UF membrane would be like trying to squeeze a 50mm diameter tangerine through the eye of a needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just read this thread and my brain is, well, flushed!

Just wonder what ppm hardness level one can aim for: i read somewhere that some rigs go from say 450 to 250 ppm so I wonder can u change the settings to get to a lower hardness level, yes with increased filtration and salt costs.

I want it, in part, to reduce cleaning of limescale on glass shower doors etc
    450 to 250 might just have half the cleaning: she who must be obeyed would Not be impressed :D
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Just read this thread and my brain is, well, flushed!

Just wonder what ppm hardness level one can aim for: i read somewhere that some rigs go from say 450 to 250 ppm so I wonder can u change the settings to get to a lower hardness level, yes with increased filtration and salt costs.

I want it, in part, to reduce cleaning of limescale on glass shower doors etc
    450 to 250 might just have half the cleaning: she who must be obeyed would Not be impressed :D
    Thanks

Check out a few "Water Softener" threads and ye will be much further nearer the enlightened goal of hardness reduction to zero ppm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

aah yes wrote: »
    Check out a few "Water Softener" threads and ye will be much further nearer the enlightened goal of hardness reduction to zero ppm.

Am too busy listening to David Bowie music. What a genius. Beannacht De ar a anam!

To be honest I would have expected something a bit less Zen-like when I have spent a bit of time with with your colleague trying to spec the two systems we discussed recently via PM....

I saw 400 to 200 on your site so am trying to understand it: I have since got an answer from a competitor who explained it as being a function of the ability of the machine to deal with water of a particular hardness: in essence, the harder the water the more frequent the back wash and the more salt usage.
    So in this case, looking at your stuff, if the initial hardness is above 400ppm he was quick to point out that the 10 * 24 will not be suitable.
    The softened water will end up at about 50 ppm

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

zeeegah pleeed geeetah, jammin good with weird and geeeelah ... and the spiders from mars

top man Bowie, god rest his soul

okay setting the water hardness on a Clack valve ...

Pushing through the marked square buttons

So many others yer eyeing, but press the next and arrow up

News had just came over

We had five years left ... on the warranty

.. sorry, Bowie's lyrics are taking over !

try again, okay if the hardness is over 400 ppm then a 10x24 Clack metered system would be exceptionally fine, up to 50 people

.. don't let all the fat skinny people, and all the tall-short people tell you any different

or the nobody people, and all the somebody people

I never thought you'd need so many people ... give different opinions on setting a Clack

... Bowie is at it again ! okay give it a bit more Bowie then back to setting the unit ...

I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour
    drinking milk shakes cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
    don't think you knew you were in this song

And it was cold and it rained so I felt like an actor
    And I thought of Ma and I wanted to get back there
    Your face, your ace, the way that you talk
    I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk

We've got five years, stuck on my eyes
    We've got five years, what a surprise
    We've got five years, my brain hurts a lot
    We've got five years, that's all we've got

the end

Right the Clack ...

Get a water softener test kit, €1 kit will do, and test water after regeneration, - should be zero ppm hardness.

Adjusting whether 400 or 200 wont differ from zero hardness after, just may break through hard earlier if set too low.

Here am I floating
    round my tin can
    Far above the Moon
    Planet Earth is blue
    And there's nothing I can do ...

Yes there is, ... get on the blower to any top Clack wizard to sort ye oot ....

Paul - 087 333 0333

Hugh - 087 997 4019

Mick - 087 975 1255

Padraig - 086 794 2937

David - 087 711 9514

Donal - 086 246 6726

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mckildare

Some great reading in these threads! What kind of price are we talking to get a small Clack unit and the Aquaphor Morion installed? Do they come with extra salt or filters typically when buying?

probably from €1000

possibly another €100 for salt and filters to 2020 if you get a good bundle deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Natures water in dundalk. They will fit a 3 stage filter for 100ish. Look them up. I got a water filter and a softener from them and I am very happy. Not sure if they will cover dublin but worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mickomatic

I've been using Simply Water for about 10 years without issue.
    I have a secondary tap for filtered water and 2 filters, one is for flouride. I just make sure I buy flouride toothpaste.
    I change the filters once a year and it costs me about EUR100.
    Sometimes the flow slows a bit when it's getting near time to change but I usually just live with it and change it the same month each year.
    The tap has lasted 10 years without issue and I install it all myself.
    Simply Water send me a reminder once per year and there is no heavy sales tactics for anything.

Does anyone know where I might bags of the Axal Pro Salt in North Dublin area? The closest place I can find online is Athboy but they sell a minimum of 20 bags and my storage options aren't so vast!

P.s thanks aah yes for that list of names. Padraig installed my Clack and Aquaphor and I'm 100% happy with it. Lovely fella to deal with also

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

Padraig also installed my filter and water softener.  He told me to use Axal Pro and said you could get it in Galvin's Hardware on Swords Main Street.  I went to Galvin's but they no longer stock Axal Pro.  I can't remember the name of the brand that they currently stock, but they assured me that it is of the same quality.

Thanks Rataan, there's a place in Lusk or Balbriggan but Padraig never told me the name. All he said was don't get anything other than Axal Pro :D But then he said that the cubes have to be the large sized version so maybe he was referring to that and just not to get table salt size granule stuff. Do Galvins stock the large cubed stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

I don't remember him telling me NOT to use anything other than Axal Pro, I think he just said it was the best stuff to use.  He did say not to use the salt from Woodies, which is the smaller sized stuff.
    Yes, the salt that I get in Galvin's is the large cubed stuff.
    There is an agricultural store at Blakes Cross (maybe that was who he was referring to in Lusk?) called N.A.D.  They sell bags of salt.  You could give them a call to see if they stock Axal.

Yeah that's actually what he said alright, don't use the small stuff but anything like Axal Pro is fine. Thanks for the help, I'll give the Lusk crowd a call and compare the prices to Galvins stuff.

Advertisement