Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shallow kitchen worktop and hob?

Options
  • 23-06-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have a new extension coming up to the back of the house, and being a semi-detached, the extension is going to be about 400 mm narrower (wall where the kitchen is coming in by 400 mm in the extension).

Trying to figure if I can get some sort of shallow cabinets to make old and new parts of the kitchen look level, I saw IKEA has 37 cm deep base and high cabinets.

Now my question is - can I put a long induction hob over a 37 cm deep cabinet? I saw one or two induction hobs that are some 80 or 90 cm wide, but only 34 or 35 cm deep. Would be possible / practical to fit a hob on a counter with just a cm to spare on either side? Any safety concerns?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

It's not a good idea to be honest. The hob manufacturer will have minimum clearances specified in their documentation, upside is that clearances may be smaller with an induction hob. Think about the practical consideration of such a set up- if you have large pots or pans on the hob would you be able to remove them easily/ would handles obstruct each other. If a pot boils over where is the water and mess going to go? In any event you must follow the manufacturer's recommendations on size and clearances required to avoid potential fire risks and ensure that you do not unwittingly render your home insurance cover null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks, and I agree, these are valid concerns especially with kids around. We have decided against it, and is going for full depth cabinets and counter. Thanks again!

Advertisement