Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

having a go at track cycling

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

gadetra wrote: »
    :eek: *runs away scared when Weepsie turns up* :p ah no Do come along and give it a go. I think the first accreditation is the end of February/start of March I think?

end of february is perfect as i'll just be back on the bike again at that stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

:eek: *runs away scared when Weepsie turns up* :p ah no Do come along and give it a go. I think the first accreditation is the end of February/start of March I think?

Should be when I've lost the worst of the christmas excess so might look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Weepsie wrote: »
    I could be tempted to give track a go for a few reasons. In my younger years when I played a loot of football (both types) and hurling I was ultra competitive (though not necessarily good). I like doing long cycles and sportives, but the though of bunch racing and my clumsiness might not be great in the likes of A4 but I think I could manage it better on a track.

Lastly, and mostly, it's an excuse to get another bike

Track is mostly bunch racing too y'know? There are just more rules about it and you get a chance to get used to it before actual racing. It's at closer quarters than road and at higher speeds too. Try it and see how it goes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Track is mostly bunch racing too y'know?
    Despite that in my view it is much safer than A4 racing.There is much more discipline on the track. Coaches are there to keep their eyes on eveything that's going on, and accreditation teaches the basics. Obviously accidents can never be ruled out, but it's a discipline I will certainly continue attempting as long as I am fit and healthy enough to do so. I will probably never do another A4 Open race because of the higher risks involved (which admitedly are probably going to be "riskier" for me than most)

Just as an update here, I'm going to try it ,ive got the go ahead and the club are going to try and facilitate it, haha im really excited for it.

When does 2015 accreditation(or whatever its called ) start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Just as an update here, I'm going to try it ,ive got the go ahead and the club are going to try and facilitate it, haha im really excited for it.

When does 2015 accreditation(or whatever its called ) start?

Most likely February/March

check the calendar

check the calendar
    I can only find dates for 2014.

they'll be similar for 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

Beasty wrote: »
    Despite that in my view it is much safer than A4 racing.

ditto

fair play Emc - hope you enjoy it!

Only 4 weeks or so until I get my new bike. cant wait.

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    ditto

fair play Emc - hope you enjoy it!

Only 4 weeks or so until I get my new bike. cant wait.
    I hope i enjoy it too,just need to start getting training in now to prepare :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I hope i enjoy it too,just need to start getting training in now to prepare :)

Accreditation starts the last week of February/first week of March. It is weather dependent though. No need to prepare, accreditation isn't arduous, it's more about learning about safety, track etiquette and the bike. Mainly about rules of the track. You can prepare for a track based addiction!

Accreditation starts the last week of February/first week of March. It is weather dependent though. No need to prepare, accreditation isn't arduous, it's more about learning about safety, track etiquette and the bike. Mainly about rules of the track. You can prepare for a track based addiction!
    I have been told before that its seriously addictive. Is actually using the bike difficult though?the fixed gear thing makes me a bit nervous although not nervous enough not to try :cool:

I have been told before that its seriously addictive. Is actually using the bike difficult though?the fixed gear thing makes me a bit nervous although not nervous enough not to try :cool:

Not difficult at all just different. It doesn't take long to get used to. It's the safest form of cycling :cool:

Not difficult at all just different. It doesn't take long to get used to. It's the safest form of cycling :cool:
    Its probably a silly thing to worry about but is stopping the bike difficult to do?

Its probably a silly thing to worry about but is stopping the bike difficult to do?

No, not at all, once you get used to it. You slow down and stop/grab the fence. It becomes second nature after one or two goes. Just give yourself time. You'll be fine, honestly. It is essentially riding a bike. For me ti was remembering not to freewheel. I only forgot once, the bike kicks your ass! It's very natural and normal after a tiny amount of time.

The biggest thing is safety and track etiquette. That's number 1. Everything else follows from that. The rules make you a much better road cyclist too IMO.

No, not at all, once you get used to it. You slow down and stop/grab the fence. It becomes second nature after one or two goes. Just give yourself time. You'll be fine, honestly. It is essentially riding a bike. For me ti was remembering not to freewheel. I only forgot once, the bike kicks your ass! It's very natural and normal after a tiny amount of time.

The biggest thing is safety and track etiquette. That's number 1. Everything else follows from that. The rules make you a much better road cyclist too IMO.
    Sounds really good, the more i hear about it the more impressed i get by the whole thing.
    I'm surprised more people dont try it out because it looks great

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm surprised more people dont try it out because it looks great
    Some people think going round an oval continuously must be boring. I rarely hear that from anyone that has given it a go though. When you move onto racing it's even better. The leagues over the summer tend to be well attended, extremely competitive and thoroughly addictive. On top of that you often get 4 chances to race in an evening, and because the races are short I've found it relatively easy to race on the road or do a TT the night before or after a Sundrive track league evening.

Advertisement