Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'puter fairs/what DO co's do with their pcs?

• 26-05-2003 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if anybody knows:

1. if there are any computer fairs held anywhere in ireland?

2. what do blue chip companies here do with there old computers.

Basically, im looking for somewhere to source cheap components or pick up a good deal on used equip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

There are recycling agencies such as greenstar. They hold recycling days around kildare every so often, throw away your old pc's. I nabbed a ****load of gear from there the other week :) You could ring and ask them I suppose, but they hardly want you rooting through their whole skips, messing them up even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

http://www.electronic-recycling.ie is a company in Finglas who buy and sell old computer parts. I haven't used them myself so I cannot give an opinion. I would be interested to hear from someone who has bought from them.

A lot of big companies seem to sell off old PC's to their staff. Around €150 for a 3 year old machine seems to be the going rate but you have to work in the company. Expect to pay more from a reseller (they need to make a profit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Graphics company went bust there a few weeks back, a lad here in work used to work for them and got a dual PIII-933, 1gb ram, professional graphics card (worth around 800 quid).. for 200 quid... i nearly cried when he told me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Probably stating the obvious here, make sure you see the stuff working first, when companies go bust disgruntled staff tend to rip off various bits & bobs from their corparate pc's, pc's could be sold without processers and/or ram, hd's etc at these fair's.

Apart from that, yeah there's some real bargains to be had at these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

<Apart from that, yeah there's some real bargains to be had at these things./>

If you know of any, or hear of any coming up in the future, i would be grateful if you could post here or pm me, Korg:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Looks like someones taking the initiative here

Advertisement