Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Passing loop at Carrick on Shannon

• 21-08-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the reason why when the passing loop was re-instated here that it was put outside the station, and not in the station where the old loop was and where there access to platforms for waiting trains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Avoids need to spend a fortune on wheelchair accessible upgrades and rebuilding both platforms to modern standards

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Temp101

Plus, the timetable envisaged didn't anticipate regular crossings at Carrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Carrick loop is only used very rarely - once a week on Sundays, and when specials/per way trains operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Avoids need to spend a fortune on wheelchair accessible upgrades and rebuilding both platforms to modern standards

The site of the station actually hasn't got enough room for an adequate passing loop when the line was resignaled and relaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The site of the station actually hasn't got enough room for an adequate passing loop when the line was resignaled and relaid.

Not so sure about that. It all looks the same.

I noticed this as I was there when seeing someone off on the Dubln train and collecting someone off the Dublin train at the same time. Struck me as unusual that if the train from Dublin was late the train to Dublin would have to wait just short of the platform, keeping passengers captive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As I posted above - only one train per week crosses another at Carrick.

Hardly an issue frankly.

The same applies at Wexford loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

n97 mini wrote: »
    Not so sure about that. It all looks the same.

I noticed this as I was there when seeing someone off on the Dubln train and collecting someone off the Dublin train at the same time. Struck me as unusual that if the train from Dublin was late the train to Dublin would have to wait just short of the platform, keeping passengers captive.

I'll dig out the IRRS journal that refers to exactly why it was laid out as it when I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

From what I can remember Carrick Loop was "re-instated" to allow another crossing point for the timber traffic at the time and of course to reduce the long section between Dromod and Boyle. Also to give flexibility for any late running passenger trains to cross here instead.

By having it at the station a whole new platform would have to be built as well as all the costs that go with that. The platforms would be staggered as there is a new bridge in place at the Dublin end of the platform. This way, while not ideal, is the most cost effective way to introduce a loop, that is really only timetabled when absolutely needed.

Interestingly, the RPSI tour to Sligo this year used Carrick On Shannon Loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

is the other platform only accessable via a foot bridge? if not then i could understand not spending the money, if it is accessable then theirs no excuse not to put the loop there, cost effectiveness can only be justified here if the platform where the original loop was is only accessable from a foot bridge

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The existing 2nd platform is perfectly usable apart from weeds. It also has its own lane to the main road, which makes it wheelchair accessible.

The bridge between platforms is also perfectly usable, though not by wheelchair users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

n97 mini wrote: »
    The existing 2nd platform is perfectly usable apart from weeds. It also has its own lane to the main road, which makes it wheelchair accessible.

The bridge between platforms is also perfectly usable, though not by wheelchair users.
    ah i see, bit unfortunate they didn't spend the money and re-open that platform and put the loop there, even if it isn't used that often if their was ever an emergency it would be handy to have it, still whats done is done

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement