Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Nexus one owners get Gingerbread OTA yet ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

srsly78 wrote: »
    Ok fair enough, but most of that is cosmetic stuff that custom roms offered before. It's not really any change to android's internals.

The keyboard anyone could install on 2.2.

I find the buttons on the pulldown menu pretty useless so far, I still use power widget on screen instead.

Like I said UI. Not really any point in comparing it to custom roms. This thread is about OTA, so most here would most likely be on stock. Doesn't matter if all this is in custom roms already. off topic in my opinion. Same goes for the keyboard.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As Damo lists, a fair few things have changed on the UI side of things. Really like the black notification bar, shame they didn't have that at the start to stop the burn in. The screen lock pattern is slightly different too, minor change that though. Seems a bit snappier too.

/Edit: Actually another cool UI change is when you press the power button to turn off the screen, the display collapses to a white line and disappears kind of like an old tv set. Probably not describing that very well. Looks nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Bit of a gimmick really, I have that animation disabled now (along with all the others).

edit: Ok ok I'll stop posting :D I've had it a few weeks now so novelty has worn off, enjoy your new shinies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Looks like the 'on SD card' tab in manage apps shows apps That can move to SD but are currently residing on phone memory.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

So who actually got it OTA?
    Still waiting on mine... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

srsly78 wrote: »
    Why are you all so excited? The only practical thing you will notice from 2.3 is a glow effect when you hit top/bottom of scrollbar. It has many under-the-hood things that allow developers to do stuff, but nothing for normal users.

It will take a few months for developers to use these new features and release new toys for you to play with, there is basically no advantage for you right now. You are NOT missing anything.

your statement is very misleading, this update has fixed some bugs most noticablely so far, the Out Of Memory warnings etc which is of a Hugh Advantage to me, considering i lost loads of incoming txt messages because of this, also the UI is a lot smoother and from what i can gather so Far Battery life is a lot better.. still discovering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

mik_da_man wrote: »
    So who actually got it OTA?
    Still waiting on mine... :confused:

didnt bother waiting for the OTA, did the manual update instead..

wonder why they didnt include 720p video recording in the camera though, and also the stock music player is crap :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

SoulRock wrote: »
    didnt bother waiting for the OTA, did the manual update instead..

Same here,impatient man that i am.:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Will prob do the same soon tbh - I did the last time too...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Just did the manual update.
    So far I like the new keyboard, certainly seems better than the last one. Copy and paste is far more intuitive and easier to use too. It's also nice to have an overhaul of the aesthetics.
    Only issue I've encountered so far is an issue with the 3G toggle in SwitchPro, quickly solved though by changing the APN setting in SwitchPro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Another one who didn't bother waiting for the ota - upgraded on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

did manual update as well - really like it so far. keyboard is so much better, overall feels snappier and looks better. Great update.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭ceejay

Another manual updater here :)

To be honest, if you're even remotely tech-savvy I don't see any reason that you wouldn't do the manual update at this stage, it's not hard in any way :)

I'm liking the new aesthetics so far - and I wonder how much battery life will be saved by the darker theme? All those full-on white pixels in the notification bar must have been very draining :D

I like the way now in the Application settings app you can see all apps that can potentially be moved to SD card. I saw a mention somewhere that if you move any apps already on the SD card back to the phone, and then back to the SD card you'll free up even more space, and having done that it looks like I now have an extra 30MB free memory - though some of that may also be space freed up by the Gingerbread update.

The Market app seems to have reverted to the old style though, I was getting used to the new style. Oh well, there's always the web version - it's pretty cool being able to hit install on my PC's browser and then see the app install on my phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

ceejay wrote: »
    Another manual updater here :)

To be honest, if you're even remotely tech-savvy I don't see any reason that you wouldn't do the manual update at this stage, it's not hard in any way :)

I'm liking the new aesthetics so far - and I wonder how much battery life will be saved by the darker theme? All those full-on white pixels in the notification bar must have been very draining :D

I like the way now in the Application settings app you can see all apps that can potentially be moved to SD card. I saw a mention somewhere that if you move any apps already on the SD card back to the phone, and then back to the SD card you'll free up even more space, and having done that it looks like I now have an extra 30MB free memory - though some of that may also be space freed up by the Gingerbread update.

The Market app seems to have reverted to the old style though, I was getting used to the new style. Oh well, there's always the web version - it's pretty cool being able to hit install on my PC's browser and then see the app install on my phone :)

Yeh the market app in that update is an old version. It should update itself in the background fairly quickly. Same goes for gmail.

Just noticed an addition to Google maps. When you enter street view there's the street view icon in the corner which allows you to quickly travel without going back to the map. Nice little addition, makes it much easier to navigate in street view.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Finally got Gingerbread on my N1, came in overnight.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Offered and installed last night.
    No issues.
    I like the green added to the icons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

KoolKid wrote: »
    I like the green added to the icons.

Except the Gmail icon. It's so conspicuously red compared to all newly-green system icons. I wonder if there were a few arguments about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

finally got mine the other day also .. happy days

Was hoping that it would cure the intermittent issue I have where the screen input starts going wonky .. any press on the screen is interpreted as a press on whatever is at the bottom of the screen ?

similar to these vids : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nexus+one+screen+problem&aq=f

didnt fix it though pity. Restart gives me a few more days before it happens again.

Anyone else have the same issue ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep I've had that issue for a while now, I think it only happens for me when I have the phone in landscape mode and titled, it's like the phone gets confused. Usually sorts itself out once I flip back to portrait.

But speaking of issues, I somehow managed to botch up the stock keyboard, long pressing on the full stop key would pop up extra characters like comma etc. Well all of a sudden the popup screen wasn't appearing but the keyboard would dim, letting go of the long press would select the comma (the first option on the pop up) - needed a reboot to fix it.

Anyone notice any drop in wifi reception since the update? I'm convinced mine has got worse, only get full bars sitting right beside the router, outside of that room and it drops to a single bar and is slow as hell to load anything now. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Andrew76 wrote: »
    But speaking of issues, I somehow managed to botch up the stock keyboard, long pressing on the full stop key would pop up extra characters like comma etc. Well all of a sudden the popup screen wasn't appearing but the keyboard would dim, letting go of the long press would select the comma (the first option on the pop up) - needed a reboot to fix it.

I have the same issue, i downloaded a different keyboard and when the stock plays up I swtch eyboard and then back to stock, effectively forcing it to reload and works a treat again. quicker than rebooting the whole damn phone!!:(

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Anyone notice any drop in wifi reception since the update? I'm convinced mine has got worse, only get full bars sitting right beside the router, outside of that room and it drops to a single bar and is slow as hell to load anything now. :(

Noticed this myself. The reception in my bedroom was never great but now the signal just seems to drop off too easily and it's not as consistent as it had been.

I dont know if its the same issue as what you're having but I'm finding that nearly everytime I unlock the screen its on 3G then after a second or two its jumping to wifi. I've never actually noticed that before though so I think its only since I got gingerbread.

Any of you lot finding gingerbread to be a bit unstable? Mines been acting quite weird, freezing up and in some cases stopped responding completely :(

JohnK wrote: »
    Any of you lot finding gingerbread to be a bit unstable? Mines been acting quite weird, freezing up and in some cases stopped responding completely :(

I've found it to be more stable. In the week or two leading up to Gingerbread, LauncherPro was crashing quite a lot but it's been fine since the update. Only stability issue I've encountered is that it can be quite sluggish when using the screen previews to switch from one homescreen to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

with gingerbread i'm definitely getting a delay between when I answer a call and when the other party can hear me.

I now have to wait a second or two before saying hello!

I've noticed that too about the delay. Bugs the hell out of me as I end up saying hello a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I've noticed that too about the delay. Bugs the hell out of me as I end up saying hello a few times.

I'm getting that to. I thought I was going mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

yeah i get that too - incredibly annoying, until i twigged it. Now just an inconvenience but shouldn't happen really.

Coupled with the odd behaviour of the 'ghost' keyboard occasionally one wonders what they were 'fixing' that it took so long to bring it to nexus one after nexus s got it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Got Gingerbread, agree with most, like the new green/dark theme, it's a bit slicker all round. Browser general UI seems a bit snappier too.

Although a bit disappointed as battery life seems to be a bit shorter. Use to get till around 23:00 before red battery on normal day, but it seems to be going around 20:00 since Gingerbread update, anyone noticed something similar? Perhaps it's just me playing about with the phone more since the update? :rolleyes:

Power button was also going iffy for a while any properly died last week, was worried as my N1 went out of warranty in January, but the nice people in HTC UK offered to fix it for free. :) So it's off with them at the moment getting fixed, can't wait to get it back. Luckily wife has an N1 so I have comendeered it till I get mine back :D

Like the look of the Galaxy S II, but would rather wait for the Nexus 3 which I guess will be coming at the end of the year. Like stock vanilla Android too much, and fast OS updades. I guess we'll be on to "Jelly" or "Jammy Dodger" by then...

Advertisement