Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lass70

Thanks for your help. I looked up the Village but it was a bit farther out for us as well. We were booked at Castlewhite, but then I found out that their wifi is a joke and that it's generally known as Castle****e...so now I'm regrouping. My friend, who is traveling with us, stayed at Victoria Cross last summer and said it was bland and bare, but overall ok. However, she hated that she felt so far removed from the city centre. There wasn't even a great place to pop out in the mornings just for coffee. So, we're a bit concerned about signing up for a stale experience. Plus, with the World Cup coming up- it is vital that we have some close options for watching the matches (finding ourselves a 'home' pub, if you will).
    I really appreciate the advice. Any tips on favored GAA teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mcd2812

The Victoria Mills website currently says that booking for undergraduates for the 2014/2015 year is closed and names can only be placed on a waiting list. Anyone know what the likelihood of actually getting a place is when you go on a waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

I've received an offer for a MSc in UCC in September and I am highly considering accepting. I will be moving down from Galway, and I don't know Cork city at all. Can anybody offer any advice on nice reasonably priced quiet areas to live within walking distance of the Uni? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭black_magic

I've received an offer for a MSc in UCC in September and I am highly considering accepting. I will be moving down from Galway, and I don't know Cork city at all. Can anybody offer any advice on nice reasonably priced quiet areas to live within walking distance of the Uni? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lass70

Booked Crosses Green. I'd rather have a quick walk to everything than a modern apt. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ASA

Hi All,

There is plenty of accommodation available for the coming academic year for first years, undergrads and postgrads of UCC.

UCC Accommodation Service advertises for a wide range of accommodation including UCC Campus Accommodation, purpose built student complexes and privately owned student houses near UCC. We also offer a comprehensive advisory service for all students and while we do not manage any properties, we do set down minimum guidelines which all accommodation providers must agree to.

APARTMENT COMPLEXES
    I don't want to write a book here but, briefly, you will find a list of apartment complexes here: uccaccommodation.ie/current-students/apartment-complexes/. Some apartment complexes are taking names for waiting lists and others are taking deposits. The complexes that are full, will probably have some spaces available when results come out due to students pulling out.

HOUSE SHARES
    The Accommodation Service advertises an excellent supply of student houses which are owned and managed by private landlords. Rents vary from 55-95 per week, excluding utility bills and is usually paid on a monthly basis. Some landlords charge every four weeks which will work out more expensive. All houses advertised by the Accommodation Service do so under strict conditions of good standards and student friendly management practices. The best of our properties are awarded Grade A status. Houses are searchable on our website here: uccaccommodation.ie. Postgrads can search for postgrad houses under 'academic year' but there are many features and criteria to search for.

If you want more information, please contact us on asa [at] ucc.ie and we'd be happy to help you or call us on +353 (0)21 490 2475. Our office is located opposite the main gates on College Road and you can come in and chat about your options.

Accommodation Service
    University College Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ASA

I had to remove 'h t tp : / / www .' before the web addresses in the post above because I can't post URLs. Apologies.

Accommodation Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thebadfairy

I'll be on exchange at UCC for the Autumn semester. I'm a married student in my mid-20s and was wondering what people think the likelihood of having my husband stay with me a few days here and there is? I've got my name down for Vic Lodge Alcohol Free, University Hall as second, as after reading through they seemed to be the best options for me, being nannacore and all that. Probably a dumb question, but given that you can't find anything about a guest policy anywhere...
    Ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I'll be on exchange at UCC for the Autumn semester. I'm a married student in my mid-20s and was wondering what people think the likelihood of having my husband stay with me a few days here and there is? I've got my name down for Vic Lodge Alcohol Free, University Hall as second, as after reading through they seemed to be the best options for me, being nannacore and all that. Probably a dumb question, but given that you can't find anything about a guest policy anywhere...
    Ta!

As far as I'm aware, you just have to let reception know a few days in advance if you've a guest coming to stay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thebadfairy

As far as I'm aware, you just have to let reception know a few days in advance if you've a guest coming to stay :)

Lovely! Ta! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Hi there do people know which summer accomodation would be best? Finishing off a course. Rang vic mills and they're deciding whether to open up more of the complex for summer bookings. Farranlea dont take summer bookings- gonna call deans hall and mardkye hall today. Most of the college accomodations seem booked out/too pricey for the summer. House listings still fairly quiet as well.

If anyone has a free room in a nice property you can let me know btw- studying a masters so will be pretty quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

Hey everyone, me and my friend are moving up to Cork at the start of September and he is going to CIT and I'm going to UCC and we are hoping to live with each other and maybe 2 other people. Where would be the best place to live in Cork for us?

To anyone looking at accommodation for this year, I would highly recommend staying away from Carraigbarre like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Deanshall might be an option. Be nearer to CIT but a bus will take you to UCC. I'd recommend the student accommodation near UCC for a first year. A house share be another option. Curaheen, Bishopstown and Wilton be handy areas as well or near Victoria Cross/Western Road.
    Victoria Mills be good place aswell bit pricey.

Joe95 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, me and my friend are moving up to Cork at the start of September and he is going to CIT and I'm going to UCC and we are hoping to live with each other and maybe 2 other people. Where would be the best place to live in Cork for us?

When I was in first year in UCC I was at a house party in Farranlea and there were loads of CIT and UCC students living there. It's about a 10/15 min walk to UCC and a bus ride to CIT...realistically there's nowhere THAT close to both of them, maybe a house in Wilton would be the closest option. The closer to town you live the better though, then you don't have to pay a fortune for a taxi in and out all the time on nights out

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Joe95

When I was in first year in UCC I was at a house party in Farranlea and there were loads of CIT and UCC students living there. It's about a 10/15 min walk to UCC and a bus ride to CIT...realistically there's nowhere THAT close to both of them, maybe a house in Wilton would be the closest option. The closer to town you live the better though, then you don't have to pay a fortune for a taxi in and out all the time on nights out

Thanks, I'll check it out now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 emmag123

I am trying to decide on a place to book for next September near ucc, I will be a first year student and to be honest I really haven a clue where to book they all seem to have very mixed reviews :/ does anyone have any suggestions I'm thinking of brookfeild or vic lodge ??

emmag123 wrote: »
    I am trying to decide on a place to book for next September near ucc, I will be a first year student and to be honest I really haven a clue where to book they all seem to have very mixed reviews :/ does anyone have any suggestions I'm thinking of brookfeild or vic lodge ??

I was in the student village in first year and loved it personally. Wifi was a bit iffy though, but they might have fixed it by now. It's in a good location, is quiet, safe ... some say it's a bit dated and not modern enough but that never bothered me! Honestly I thought it made it more homely. Vic Mills is too clinical imo (and expensive), Brookfield is a mess especially during RAG week, Vic Lodge is fine if you're in a flat that's bigger than 3 bed, the bedrooms are nice but the kitchen / living room area is terrible, along with Brookfield. If I hadn't gone to the village, I'd have chosen Farranlea, every bedroom is ensuite and it's not too pricey! Castlewhite is okay, their bedrooms are really nice imo, if you're a pretty private person then they're perfect because the kitchen / living room area isn't that great either. Biggest problem with it though is the bathroom, you're sharing with up to 5 others, and it consists of a sink, a toilet and shower stall which are like cubicles that you'd get in a public bathroom and shower area in a swimming pool! The bedrooms have their own sinks though which helps.
    Block H in the village is the most recent block and is really nice, if you go for it! Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

To anyone looking at accommodation for this year, I would highly recommend staying away from Carraigbarre like the plague

Why so?

Why so?

I'd prefer not to disclose over such a public forum in case the owner or his minions are scouting..wouldn't put it past them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I see a lot of houses are left up on the UCC Accommodation website even after they're "gone". A bit inconsiderate of the landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

I see a lot of houses are left up on the UCC Accommodation website even after they're "gone". A bit inconsiderate of the landlords.

Yeah, I've also had this problem. Found a house that I'd have loved to stay in, rang up and the woman said it was gone. In fairness I checked the listings a couple of hours later and the listing was gone, still wasted my credit though.

In regard to giving my two cents to this accommodation thread I stayed in Farranlea Hall in first year and I have to say that overall it was pretty good. The double rooms are very spacious, wifi was normally okay (could completely slow down at times though). The chairs in the living room are really uncomfortable, we decided it was to put people off sleeping on the couch. Wardens were fair most of the time, parties were allowed and they weren't strict on letting people in except for big nights out where they waited outside the accommodation, had a list with tenant's names on them and they wouldn't let you in unless you were on that list. Having Tesco Express across the road was really handy. The Wilton Shopping Center is down the road a good bit but still very easy to walk there. My only complaint was that fire alarms went off in the middle of the night almost constantly but that's probably the case in most student accommodation. It is much further than a five minute walk to UCC though, more like 10/15 minutes which can be annoying when you have a 9am lecture and are rushing. I got most of my deposit back too, but most people I know didn't.

Has anyone recently stayed in Arcadia Hall? I know there's a lot of negative reviews about it but I'm hoping it has improved since

theres listings up there that have been rented out for months and even longer- no idea who's at fault there tbh, don't use the site much at all for that reason- I'd say most of them are actually gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Princessina

Hi im moving to university hall this sept but the parking is full! Im not from Cork so i dont know if theyres any free parking? Im looking into renting a car parking space also but they seem i bit pricey! Any suggestions??
    Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

Hi,

I am looking for accommodation for September. I will be starting my postgraduate course and I'm having great difficulty the last month trying to find accommodation because everywhere is booked out and many places don't have car spaces. I have been looking into UCC accommodation and all apartment complexes including University Hall, Vic Mills, etc are booked out. I have been looking at Orchird Gardens apartment at Dennehys Cross which look lovely but I need to find possible housemates. I was wondering if anyone is interested in these apartments or if anyone knows of someone looking for a housemate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JenMol

Hi im moving to university hall this sept but the parking is full! Im not from Cork so i dont know if theyres any free parking? Im looking into renting a car parking space also but they seem i bit pricey! Any suggestions??

Hi

There's a free UCC car park at Dennehys Cross. Its just before the roundabout for College Road and Glasheen Road. Its free but I think they might close by night and not sure if they allow cars parking over night. Other than that I can't think of any place to park your car. To be honest I'm having difficulty to find accommodation with parking myself.

maybe go into vic mills and ask? Won't be free for sure but they've a pretty big car park that's rarely full. Might take the couple of hundred ya never know. Would be open later as well.

Nicole. wrote: »

Has anyone recently stayed in Arcadia Hall? I know there's a lot of negative reviews about it but I'm hoping it has improved since

You'd be okay living that far from college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Anyone have an idea what money you would be talking for a house within 5 minutes of college. Thinking along the lines of College Road, Magazine Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Princessina

Dave47 wrote: »
    maybe go into vic mills and ask? Won't be free for sure but they've a pretty big car park that's rarely full. Might take the couple of hundred ya never know. Would be open later as well.

Thank you! They said ring back in september they do do it only for a couple of people usually though but worth the call back in sept :) thanks!

Advertisement