Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2012, 20:13   #31
COYW
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonialboy View Post
Pity the head of the Computer Science dept in one of Irelands top universitys didnt listen to me a while back when I tolfd him there was an opening to train up Irish graduates in mainframe skills to replace the workforce and to take over the millions of lines of code and major systems still running mainframes and advanced mainframe technologies.
I have just finished up in a company which is heavily reliant on mainframe technologies. There wasn't one intermediate or senior person under the age of 40 working on that side of things. The major players were 45 year old plus who haven't updated their skills in decades, were getting paid a fortune and were passing on their same tired knowledge to the younger members coming along. I made some suggestions on improving coding and was royally shot down for doing so. It is an area with massive potential for change. If I was in uni now, I would focus on the area.

Quote:
Yes, in their own fashion. It's called a backout.
Do most places not require you to do a backout plan and backout test plan before getting approval for changes to a live system. I thought this practice was standard in the corporate world for IT rollouts.

Last edited by COYW; 26-06-2012 at 20:22.
Advertisement
26-06-2012, 20:28   #32
TrueDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by COYW View Post
Do most places not require you to do a backout plan and backout test plan before getting approval for changes to a live system. I thought this practice was standard in the corporate world for IT rollouts.
It is - you can have all the plans in the world, but if someone doesn't follow it, or worse still, it's written wrongly and this isn't spotted, you're still goosed.
Thanks from:
26-06-2012, 20:35   #33
Sacred_git
Banned

outsourcing
27-06-2012, 12:32   #34
mach1982

The thing the guys at the top don't understand IT. Sure most don't even know how use a computer .

Simple fact: People do not care how something works just as long as it works.
(2) thanks from:
28-06-2012, 14:55   #35
schwdhry

An update...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06...ftware_glitch/
Advertisement
28-06-2012, 17:23   #36
Colonialboy

even this cloud could have a silver lining for some folk...
at this stage RBS probably need to hire back some of the people they (whats the bull**** spin PC word Im looking for here ) let go to sort out this mess

who knows maybe they already have
28-06-2012, 23:10   #37
dazberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonialboy View Post
even this cloud could have a silver lining for some folk...
at this stage RBS probably need to hire back some of the people they (whats the bull**** spin PC word Im looking for here ) let go to sort out this mess

who knows maybe they already have
Well the terms beforehand would have been either "displaced" or "pooled", the latter being say 3 jobs (left) for 5 people, and the former being a fcuk off by any other name. So in terms of rehiring - who knows what crazy lingo they'd come up with!?! ReImplantation?

D.
02-07-2012, 20:15   #38
DublinWriter

The whole fiasco smacks to me of what we used to call a "compound problem"....ie. more than one mistake took place.

From what I'm seeing so far it looks like a failure in their batching software combined with a failure to 'roll-back' on a night's batch processing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion