Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Network Review

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Glad to see the standard of unbelievably bizarre posts continues. There is no change to the 104 timetable, just the routing. What that has to do with the 53 I have no idea.

As I said above I would strongly suspect that the 45a routing north of Bray will be unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

lxflyer wrote: »
    Glad to see the standard of unbelievably bizarre posts continues. There is no change to the 104 timetable, just the routing. What that has to do with the 53 I have no idea.

I guess he means it's a consistent, hourly timetable?

But it's been like that since last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

But it's been like that since last year!!

Maybe be just noticed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

If 'Loughlinstown' is meant to be on the N11 side, there could be a perception to the resident's opinion that it is in some way controversial.

Route staying the same in this area, they are referring to Cromlech fields area.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Maybe be just noticed :)

Quite possibly given the history of posts from this individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Here is something to preview. A look at a bus showing a Vodafone AOA showing the upcoming new route 1 to Shanard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48993163@N05/7129595335/in/photostream/

Do you think that this route will stay in Ringsend Garage rather than in Donnybrook?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Was just wondering could a merger of the 123 and 130 work?

Let's say if the 123 was to continue its normal route to the terminus and then turn right to the malahide road and left to the clontarf road before continuing to the 130 terminus. Could it work?

It would be linking clontarf to malahide road to the south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

thomasj wrote: »
    Was just wondering could a merger of the 123 and 130 work?

Let's say if the 123 was to continue its normal route to the terminus and then turn right to the malahide road and left to the clontarf road before continuing to the 130 terminus. Could it work?

It would be linking clontarf to malahide road to the south side.

The 123 was to originally move to Clontarf garage around the time when it was converted to a double decker operation. I'd be pretty sure this idea was considered as some point. I would think reliability would be a problem as bunching is a serious issue with the 123. At peak hours the "every 10 minutes" rarely is stuck to.

I doubt the people of Clontarf would appreciate a second doubling back of the bus route to be honest thomasj - many of them already have a dog leg in Clontarf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

I doubt the people of Clontarf would appreciate a second doubling back of the bus route to be honest thomasj - many of them already have a dog leg in Clontarf!

That's a fair point. I didn't know how long the clontarf leg of the 130 was. That's some doubling up!

Was thinking the opening up of the south side would benefit people. But true the philipsburgh/Marino leg would probably annoy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I thought 150/130 would be a logical enough merger?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just discovered now that Dublin Bus have unveiled these Media Releases (which were formally called Press Releases) about Network Direct.

The ND page on the routes on both Dublin's North & Southside gives you statistics on how passengers have been using the buses since the project began. So far and I mean SO FAR, the percentages here are very small in three areas and will would give a shock of what has been done to them recently, or very long ago in that respect. A comment one route in Finglas, namely route 40 of not having the grounds of a statistic apart from a comment is sheer arrogance IMO.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Press-Releases-Archive/Media-Releases-2011/Progress-in-2011/

The other page gives a overview or possible bias on the 'new' southside routes and RTPI. They say here that route 15 is 'new'; which is obviously not, it has been around Dublin for ages for heaven's sake.:mad:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Press-Releases/Dublin-Bus-Network-Direct-means-increased-Cross-City-services-for-residents-of-South-Dublin/

DB need to explain something here IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Any rumours on when the 79 will be ND'd to Amiens St and beyond?

Could have done with it this morning, instead of the walk in the rain :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Presumably due to the ND changes, Ringsend need low-floor buses and Conyngham Road have spare buses (since they have halved their operation of the 40/13 from the 78A and 51B/C).

Definitely AV415 and possibly AV414 have already moved east to Ringsend...anyone know if anymore of that excellent batch of buses are moving..or how many more Ringsend need, given the amount of RVs they have

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

A comment one route in Finglas, namely route 40 of not having the grounds of a statistic apart from a comment is sheer arrogance IMO.
    want to repeat that in english?
    The other page gives a overview or possible bias on the 'new' southside routes and RTPI. They say here that route 15 is 'new'; which is obviously not, it has been around Dublin for ages for heaven's sake.:mad:
    no where does it say 15 is a new route, just that it has been extended.

DB wrote:
    Blanchardstown QBC- Passenger numbers increased by 4%
    Stillorgan QBC- Passenger numbers increased by 2%
    Lucan QBC- Passenger numbers increased by 4%
    in relation to when though, Pre ND, 2010, 2011, last week? I thought DB pax had dropped significantly in the last few years as per reported figures, yet pax are also up, doesn't really add up IMO. The N11 corridor for example has seen no real changes in terms of extra routes, just some freq change and removal of some duplicated routes. Given an overal pax decrease in the 8%* range iirc how can they still manage to be up 2% here?

edit* 7.2% in 2010, not avail for 2011 yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Any rumours on when the 79 will be ND'd to Amiens St and beyond?

Could have done with it this morning, instead of the walk in the rain :D

Ben,It seems the 79 and 27B are next up for engagement....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I just discovered now that Dublin Bus have unveiled these Media Releases (which were formally called Press Releases) about Network Direct.

The ND page on the routes on both Dublin's North & Southside gives you statistics on how passengers have been using the buses since the project began. So far and I mean SO FAR, the percentages here are very small in three areas and will would give a shock of what has been done to them recently, or very long ago in that respect. A comment one route in Finglas, namely route 40 of not having the grounds of a statistic apart from a comment is sheer arrogance IMO.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Press-Releases-Archive/Media-Releases-2011/Progress-in-2011/

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Press-Releases/Dublin-Bus-Network-Direct-means-increased-Cross-City-services-for-residents-of-South-Dublin/

Personally I think it is you that needs to explain what it is you are trying to say as it is coming across as gibberish.

Firstly, look at the date of the press release. It is dated in December. The 40 and 78a were only merged in November. There are not going to be any statistics/trends to report within that short time frame with regard to that route. The other three corridors changed in 2010 and there would have been a full year's statistics to report. Before making wild accusations, perhaps it tends to be a sensible move to have one's facts correct?

Secondly, given DB passenger numbers were in decline in recent years, I think any form of increase is good news. No one was expecting 20% increases, given capacity was also being cut.

Finally, there is not a single mention whatsoever of the word "new" in relation to the 15 in the second article. The article refers to improvements to route 15, which are the increase in frequency and the merger with route 128 to create an extended cross-city route.

That piece is aimed at getting people to use the bus who currently don't, and may not be aware of the extended routes that have been created by the mergers.

Frankly I think you need to stop and think a bit more before making these sort of daft posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

I really try to understand your posts but most of the time it's impossible. I'm not sure if you're actually having a laugh, as I don't know what media releases, press releases or getting your hard drive repaired in Rathgar has to do with Network Direct.

It's always possible to spin numbers to suit a survey, but perhaps more people are actually using the revised services. Bear in mind some of these new routes replaced others, meaning more passengers now use a high frequency corridor instead of a meandering route. Can you explain how Dublin Bus were arrogant towards route 40? :confused:

The other page gives a overview or possible bias on the 'new' southside routes and RTPI. They say here that route 15 is 'new'; which is obviously not, it has been around Dublin for ages for heaven's sake.mad.gif

Can you point out where they say route 15 is "new" in that article. They don't mention the word new once. However, if you want to be picky, for many passengers, route 15 is "new", as it connects new areas directly. I'm really not sure of the point you're trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

In fairness, some of the comments on the 15 are a bit weird.
    Improvements to Route 15 were implemented under the project last December including the extension of the route in South Dublin to Stocking Avenue in Ballycullen
    How is an extension an improvement to the existing route? It makes it longer, it doesn't make it faster or shorter.
    The journey time on the route has also been improved.
    How? The route(on the southside at least) remains identical up until it crosses the M50. I would hazard that the 15 is also slower than the 74 used to be at peak times as it has to cross the M50.

• Advertisement

Tragedy wrote: »
    In fairness, some of the comments on the 15 are a bit weird.

How is an extension an improvement to the existing route? It makes it longer, it doesn't make it faster or shorter.

I'm sure anybody living in Stocking Lane would see it as an improvement. The route now links Templeogue/Scholarstown/Stocking Avenue every 10 minutes, not to mention the links to the north side of the city.

I would suggest it does offer more direct journeys too - anyone south of Rathmines on the old route 15 can travel directly to Amiens Street, Malahide Road etc. and vice versa.

That's an improvement for those users as it means no longer changing buses!

KD345 wrote: »
    I'm sure anybody living in Stocking Lane would see it as an improvement. The route now links Templeogue/Scholarstown/Stocking Avenue every 10 minutes, not to mention the links to the north side of the city.
    That means the public transport situation in Stocking Lane has been improved, not the 15 route. They said the 15 route had improved by extending it to Stocking Avenue, how exactly did that improve the existing route?

I also don't recall stating that frequency had gotten worse or that it had made transport links to the North side of the city, so I don't really understand why you're posting that.
    I would suggest it does offer more direct journeys too - anyone south of Rathmines on the old route 15 can travel directly to Amiens Street, Malahide Road etc. and vice versa.

That's an improvement for those users as it means no longer changing buses!
    That doesn't make it an improvement for the existing route. By the same logic, if they had one torturously long route for the whole of Dublin it would be 'an improvement' as one never had to change buses to travel anywhere.

Not interested in an argument, just pointed out that some of DBs comments touting the success of the 15 were a bit strange.

If you want to address points I didn't make and pretend I did, go ahead!

To be fair, when they say improvements to the route I think that does encompass serving more areas than before through now being cross-city, and improved frequency.

The use of the word "route" is used in transport to cover the entire product, and does in this case I would suggest, thereby encompassing the route taken, and frequency on offer.

I think you might be being a bit too literal.

That's why I made the comments that I did above.

To be fair, when they say improvements to the route I think that does encompass serving more areas than before through now being cross-city, and improved frequency.

The use of the word "route" is used in transport to cover the entire product, and does in this case I would suggest, thereby encompassing the route taken, and frequency on offer.

I think you might be being a bit too literal.

That's why I made the comments that I did above.
    How am I being too literal? They claimed extending the route to Stocking Ave. was an improvement to the 15 route. What tangible improvements did it offer the 15 route? As frequency is mentioned separately as being an improvement, you can put that aside for now and tell me what about changing the terminus from Scholarstown Road to Stocking Avenue and cancelling the 74 bus improved the existing 15 route?

Look I'm not trying to pick an argument.

The piece says that improvements were made to the route 15 bus service. It does not say that the route the 15 bus takes was necessarily improved as you are suggesting.

As I read it, the improvement to route 15 is the fact that more people can travel cross-city without changing, being those between Stocking Avenue and Rathmines who did not have that facility before, and the increase in frequency.

The piece says:
    Improvements to Route 15 were implemented under the project last December including the extension of the route in South Dublin to Stocking Avenue in Ballycullen and an increase in frequency of every 10 minutes at peak times.

As a result of the extension of the route in the south, residents of areas such as Firhouse and Ballycullen now have improved, more direct connections to Rathmines, St. Stephen’s Green, Trinity College, Eden Quay, Bus Áras, Connolly Rail Station, IFSC and Fairview.

I don't really think it could be any clearer than that.

Tragedy wrote: »
    That means the public transport situation in Stocking Lane has been improved, not the 15 route. They said the 15 route had improved by extending it to Stocking Avenue, how exactly did that improve the existing route?

I also don't recall stating that frequency had gotten worse or that it had made transport links to the North side of the city, so I don't really understand why you're posting that.

It's clear to me that route 15 has improved. As i've already pointed out, the route now links more places than it did before. The extension to Stocking Avenue is just one of the improvements. The article clearly states the improvements for residents in Firhouse and Balycullen include connections to Bus Áras, Connolly Rail Station, IFSC and Fairview.

The reason I posted the frequency was because it had improved. You mentioned that journey time had not improved, but with a more frequent timetable the waiting time between buses has decreased for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Route 44 has a start date of May 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

KD345 wrote: »
    It's clear to me that route 15 has improved. As i've already pointed out, the route now links more places than it did before. The extension to Stocking Avenue is just one of the improvements. The article clearly states the improvements for residents in Firhouse and Balycullen include connections to Bus Áras, Connolly Rail Station, IFSC and Fairview.

The reason I posted the frequency was because it had improved. You mentioned that journey time had not improved, but with a more frequent timetable the waiting time between buses has decreased for passengers.

Has someone in DBHQ decided that frequency is more important than journey time?
    Personally I'd always prefer a quicker journey even if frequency needed to be reduced to accomplish this. Though maybe I'm in the minority by being someone who'll make an effort to follow a timetable and thus get to the bus-stop when the bus is due, not just at a random time.

Journey Time and reliability are far more important than frequency imo, yet ND seem to blather on about buses every 5/10/15 minutes on certain routes as if that is the key thing.
    But give me a 30 minute frequency instead, and a bus which takes a sensible route and doesn't meander in and out of every estate going.

This imo is what is needed to get commuters to leave their cars at home, not a high frequency Wanderly Wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭rx8

Route 44 has a start date of May 13th.

New schedules for Route 1 only came out yesterday,and they also propose a start date of Sunday 13th. May. Can't see the drivers voting in favour tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement