Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad in Edinburgh

• 10-02-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Just have 2 quick questions.....

Any advice on writing a personal statement when applying to a taught masters?? Im trying to avoid it reading like a biography of sorts. How much should I include on the academic side and how much personal stuff should be in it?

Also from what i can see, theres no way to get a grant for a postgrad course in scotland??? or am i hopefully wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

cc87 wrote: »

Also from what i can see, theres no way to get a grant for a postgrad course in scotland??? or am i hopefully wrong?

There's funding available for PhD's and some research Masters. However if it's a taught Master's there is no general Scottish funding available. There may be course, department or university specific funding (everywhere is different) but it's quite competitive and fairly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Helpyouspeak

Hey there,

In terms of writing a statement I guess it depends on what course you are applying for but what I did was include a lot of background on the modules I've studied that would be of assistance in the Masters. I only included a little bit on the personal side although I had to include a lot about volunteering. What is important is to show that you have been working towards this Masters, that you haven't jsut decided to do it on a whim so if you have anything that can show that, then it would look good I think.

About the funding, I am actually trying to find this out too but from what I have seen to date, there is funding if you are doing a health science course.

Good luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Hey guys,

Im starting the PGDE in Edinburgh in September. I'm also finding it hard to find info on funding and support. I know the Scottish government won't pay maintenence, but can us Irish students apply for a student loan like most students do over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

lilmizzme wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im starting the PGDE in Edinburgh in September. I'm also finding it hard to find info on funding and support. I know the Scottish government won't pay maintenence, but can us Irish students apply for a student loan like most students do over there?

A postgraduate is not eligible for the government backed student loan system which is specifically for undergraduates. So the short answer is no.

You could apply for a career development loan from a bank (I think HSBC are pretty good for this) but these have become harder and harder to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Thanks for the response. The PGCE is adminsitered int he same way undergrad degress are, its an exception to the postgrad rule, afaik. So while I was hoping loans would still be available, having done a bit more research, it seems tuition fees are paid, but I can't apply for a loan unless I've lived in England three years. Seems I'll be knocking on banks doors this summer. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sinead.B

lilmizzme wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. The PGCE is adminsitered int he same way undergrad degress are, its an exception to the postgrad rule, afaik. So while I was hoping loans would still be available, having done a bit more research, it seems tuition fees are paid, but I can't apply for a loan unless I've lived in England three years. Seems I'll be knocking on banks doors this summer. :(

I was just wondering where did u find out that tutition fees are paid for?

Advertisement