Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Robocop (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not as bad as I feared but hard to put much faith in a trailer designed to make the movie look good.

The hand not being covered looks crap tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm calling it now :P

The bit in the trailer where you see
    the car blow up beside Murphy isn't his actual death. But with Gary Oldman's dialogue Murphy will get everntually get burned when killed. Hollywood trailers do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

relieved by the trailer. the production leaks were worrysome. This looks a hundred times more polished and like an actual flick. The suit looks real fluid and smooth and I enjoy it.

The concept introduced, that they matrix-style trick him into the illusion of free will is an interesting one and a nice update to the 80's OCP 3-rules.

I agree about the hand, I think they might cover it up later in the movie once they establish to the audience that he is only part machine and that he still has a good chunk of human features. In original robocop there were scenes where murphy was almost entirely junked out, arms and legs torn off by jackhammers.

Could care less about the missing 'murphy death scene' it was gratuitous to the point of comical. Like the Angels With Filthy Souls film within a film you see in the Home Alone's 1 and 2. Merry Christmas, you filthy animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks bloody great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It looks.....ok. Kinnaman kinda looks like he's just wearing a costume though, he doesn't look like he's 'in' the suit, if anyone knows what I mean. In the original, the way he looked embedded into the suit was always a bit scary, this doesn't look as surgical I guess you could say.

Reserving judgement on the film.

• Advertisement

• That hand looks so stupid. Even SWAT teams wear gloves!

And did Sam Jackson just mix Mr. Glass with Stephen from Django?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

maybe the hand is something of a new concept in filmography... a sort of 'honeypot' for criticism. People will focus on something that sticks out oddly like robocops hand or megan fox's toe thumb (or the eery concealment of said thumb) and they'll then be misdirected to that minor annoyance and will overlook other problems with the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

21 years without a Robocop movie was a mistake..............Now its time to repeat that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hmm I'm still not sold looks ok at best, which is worrying for a trailer designed to sell the film to its audience.

Still very sceptical but truth be known will probably go to see it out of curiousity because it is Robocop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno what trailer others are watching but I think it looks as terrible as I suspected it might, stinking of the kind of generic, committee-based sci-fi dystopia we saw with equally uninspired hack jobs such as the Total Recall remake, or iRobot. As ever, the caveats apply about the nature of a trailer, but it looks utterly humourless, charmless, over-earnest (can you feel the drammma of it all?) and like the other Verhoeven remake mentioned above, has probably jettisoned much of the satirical, humourous edge that the original had.

I also can't help notice a lot of gunfights with Robocop feature other robots attacking and getting destroyed; so again, just like in like Total Recall, it looks like they're bypassing violence on humans to chase a PG13 cert. Ditto the actual costume - it just looks like a supersuit rather than the crude surgery between man and machine the original was; don't want to scare the kiddies now! It's just all so cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno what trailer others are watching but I think it looks as terrible as I suspected it might, stinking of the kind of generic, committee-based sci-fi dystopia we saw with equally uninspired hack jobs such as the Total Recall remake, or iRobot. As ever, the caveats apply about the nature of a trailer, but it looks utterly humourless, charmless, over-earnest (can you feel the drammma of it all?) and like the other Verhoeven remake mentioned above, has probably jettisoned much of the satirical, humourous edge that the original had.

I also can't help notice a lot of gunfights with Robocop feature other robots attacking and getting destroyed; so again, just like in like Total Recall, it looks like they're bypassing violence on humans to chase a PG13 cert. Ditto the actual costume - it just looks like a supersuit rather than the crude surgery between man and machine the original was; don't want to scare the kiddies now! It's just all so cynical.

Exactly, it reeks of early 21st century sci fi which is utter sh1t, generic, bland, etc for all the reasons you mentioned and more. I hate these reinventions like this because they're trying to reformulate a film that was perfect on its own merits into something that will fit with the fashion of the 2010s which is deplorable, this decade is one that artistic vision and style mostly forgot, with the exception of a few classics. Even the music is generic! Oh yeah and by the looks of it, another boring wife/husband dynamic, this overused in films, will be mawkishly romantic and sentimental and will be replete with bland, boring dialogue. I prefered the cop buddy relationship between Lois and Murphy in the original, it was understated for a film that was so excessive and brought out the psychological and philosophical ramifications of his transformation. This by comparison will just be stating to the audience "MURPHY IS TRANSFORMED, WIFE UNHAPPY, BOTH OF THEM REACH RESOLUTION ABOUT TRANSFORMATION" which is so obvious and unnecessary. And all the mawkish, insipid, sentimental dialogue, oh noes...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That looks terrible, it's like a fan movie instead of a big studio release. The original was a complete pisstake of the overblown consumer culture of the 80's, without that you lose all the charm.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

Say no to black! I'm not sold to be honest, im a massive fan of Verhoeven's original. I reckon it'll turn out very generic sci-fi by the numbers fare.

I wish his gun didn't have flashy cgi bits - I'm a dinosaur,no to change.

Also who's the bad guy in this? Boddicker was an awesome foe. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Giggernaut wrote: »
    Say no to black! I'm not sold to be honest, im a massive fan of Verhoeven's original. I reckon it'll turn out very generic sci-fi by the numbers fare.

I wish his gun didn't have flashy cgi bits - I'm a dinosaur,no to change.

Also who's the bad guy in this? Boddicker was an awesome foe. :o

Wish the gun didn't look like it was stuck in a holster

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have to echo the sentiment about this new Robocop just looking like a man in a suit - as opposed to the surgical abomination we all know and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Galvasean wrote: »
    I have to echo the sentiment about this new Robocop just looking like a man in a suit - as opposed to the surgical abomination we all know and love.

Was hoping we'd just get an update on the original suit,
    Don't like the look of this crysis / batsuit more black Mr Keaton

• Registered Users Posts: 44,969 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm gonna give it a chance - hoping it has its own tone and feel, and is a good movie on its own terms; but the trailer doesn't fill me with confidence - looks too dumbed down as the trailer looks to be spelling out the plot rather obviously.

I'm glad they are giving Robocop their own look though, if they were just going to do a basic update of the original they may as well have remastered it.

I'm not liking that it is Murphy in a suit - Robocop was Robocop, seperate to Murphy, whose personality/mind fought back through, bleeding in bits from his original life. In this one they appear to be going a free will vs control issue, but with a far more humanised effect from the start - which if done right could be very interesting. The prospect of Murphy doing stuff against his will, realising that or not (at first) is more interesting than a more generic and blank Robocop being controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

That hand looks so stupid. Even SWAT teams wear gloves!

And did Sam Jackson just mix Mr. Glass with Stephen from Django?

Remember the original:
    robocop.jpg
    Not good at paperwork. His biggest downfall!

Now the new and improved:
    2013-09-06 11_46_15-Here's the First Trailer for the Robocop Reboot - IGN.jpg
    Administration directive...........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm not sure what to make of that, tbh. A smaller trailer may have worked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Im probably going to be echoing what many have already said but its all just too 'slick'. The suit reminds me far too much of a jet, the retractable visor feels wrong and just showy plus the speed at which he moves, runs and jumps put me right off. I get that this is a reboot and a new take on it but one can't help but compare it to the RoboCop we know and love and this just seems too modern and too different. Though i've noticed that feeling with a lot of sci fi lately. I miss the days of spaceships runnign DOS and everything being toggle switches.

Plus whats up with the hands on show? Does this mean the usb spike is gone from behind the fingers?

It feels more like he has put on a metal cape than a prosthetic and it just feels wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

About a minute into the trailer Michael Keaton pops up as some OCP executive and proclaims ‘make him more ..tactical .. yeah, lets go with black!’

And thus his character pretty much sums up everything wrong with this movie, ‘clueless suit walks into a meeting and decides that which was previously working now needs ‘robo-jazz hands’. The steel suit at the beginning of the trailer, seemed to me, an acceptable update of an iconic image and then suddenly it’s iCop.

At every story and emotional beat of a two minute trailer, those responsible for this move seem to have managed to get it wrong.
    My biggest problem with the new and improved Robocop is the decision to make Murphy fully aware from the outset of his history and circumstances, thus demolishing the entire premise of the original film, a story about a machine that realizes it’s human, an updated Frankenstein’s monster on a quest for it’s humanity. The film seems to have morphed into just another superhero story, an Iron Man with issues finding the zipper.

Awful disheartening stuff, I haven’t felt this bad for an 80’s classic remake since seeing Total Recall.

conorhal wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the new and improved Robocop is the decision to make Murphy fully aware from the outset of his history and circumstances, thus demolishing the entire premise of the original film, a story about a machine that realizes it’s human, an updated Frankenstein’s monster on a quest for it’s humanity.

in this one the story seems to be the machine part of him controls him at the important moments, giving me only an illusion of free will and self control. In itself, in isolation from the original, that can be an interesting narative and plot device. If done correctly - though the feeling I get from the trailer is that is will not be.

I don't see they problem with this, on the face of it though. They are taking the original basic premise and giving it a new twist, a different story and different dynamic - this shouldn't be automatically considered a bad thing. Why exactly do people seem to be wanting almost a complete remake of the original? The original still exists and you can still love it for what it is. The new one doesn't have to be a copy of it, nor should it be. It should try to be its own thing.

My issue is that it looks to be executing its own thing rather poorly.

About a minute into the trailer Michael Keaton pops up as some OCP executive and proclaims ‘make him more ..tactical .. yeah, lets go with black!’

And thus his character pretty much sums up everything wrong with this movie, ‘clueless suit walks into a meeting and decides that which was previously working now needs ‘robo-jazz hands’. The steel suit at the beginning of the trailer, seemed to me, an acceptable update of an iconic image and then suddenly it’s iCop.

At every story and emotional beat of a two minute trailer, those responsible for this move seem to have managed to get it wrong.
    My biggest problem with the new and improved Robocop is the decision to make Murphy fully aware from the outset of his history and circumstances, thus demolishing the entire premise of the original film, a story about a machine that realizes it’s human, an updated Frankenstein’s monster on a quest for it’s humanity. The film seems to have morphed into just another superhero story, an Iron Man with issues finding the zipper.

Awful disheartening stuff, I haven’t felt this bad for an 80’s classic remake since seeing Total Recall.

Wow that sums it up pretty well. I also second the point that robocop moves far too fluidly, that takes the whole charm out of the original. Robocop appears impenetrable but he also looks pitiful, a man horribly mangled to machinery, as one poster put it a surgical abomination, that moves quite slowly, owing to the fact that its a technological first, something that's not quite there yet. Also I bet they're going to ditch the incredible go motion animation technique of ED 209 and replace it with uber slick CG smooth animation perfectly based on real life chickens. That's the problem right there! ED 209 was amazing as this technological monstrosity that moved in an entirely unnatural way, which was the result of 80s limitations. But those limitations gave us the ED 209 we all know and love. This will just be a CG fest. There's no imagination here, iCop is a good description.

in this one the story seems to be the machine part of him controls him at the important moments, giving me only an illusion of free will and self control. In itself, in isolation from the original, that can be an interesting narative and plot device. If done correctly - though the feeling I get from the trailer is that is will not be.

My issue is that it looks to be executing its own thing rather poorly.

I see what you're saying (and agree that the exection looks hackneyed), but at the end of the day, what's the point of remaking a film that strips away an iconic image of the character and his mythology as to render the film unrelated to Robocop in any respect bar the title?

In that regard it reminds of the the 90's Roland Emmerich Godzilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wow that sums it up pretty well. I also second the point that robocop moves far too fluidly, that takes the whole charm out of the original. Robocop appears impenetrable but he also looks pitiful, a man horribly mangled to machinery, as one poster put it a surgical abomination, that moves quite slowly, owing to the fact that its a technological first, something that's not quite there yet. Also I bet they're going to ditch the incredible go motion animation technique of ED 209 and replace it with uber slick CG smooth animation perfectly based on real life chickens. That's the problem right there! ED 209 was amazing as this technological monstrosity that moved in an entirely unnatural way, which was the result of 80s limitations. But those limitations gave us the ED 209 we all know and love. This will just be a CG fest. There's no imagination here, iCop is a good description.

I love the scene in the original where ED 209 tries walking down the stairs and goes head over arse, it's a funny moment showing the limitations of even modern (well in the context of the film) technology, guarantee you this will have it legging around the place probably doing parkour or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Another one for giving it a chance here. I think it looks mildly entertaining at the very least.

The whole 'who's in control' is a good angle and will give Robocop another dimension.

krudler wrote: »
    I love the scene in the original where ED 209 tries walking down the stairs and goes head over arse, it's a funny moment showing the limitations of even modern (well in the context of the film) technology, guarantee you this will have it legging around the place probably doing parkour or something.

Courtesy of the great stop motion animator Phil Tippet, even down to the clacking twitching toes and it's robotic strop and spaz out.

I'd give the producers of this move 10 second to drop this movie or fans will be authorized to use lethal force!

krudler wrote: »

Haha the pig squeals were the icing on the cake, they would never put that into a film now. Maybe his programmers put in those animal noises, the other one was a lion roar, for different scenarios and chose the pig squeal as a joke.

The only good thing about this film is that the casting. Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson Michael Keaton and Miguel Ferrer are in it, Ferrer was the yuppie dude who went over Dick's head and proposed the Robocop idea to the old man. Another classic scene, him snorting coke off the prostitutes and Boddicker walking in saying 'bitches leave.' Think he improvised that line from listening to Verhoven.

Just saw that the film is going to be...PG 13?!!?!?! It is now going to be sh1t no matter what.

I see what you're saying (and agree that the exection looks hackneyed), but at the end of the day, what's the point of remaking a film that strips away an iconic image of the character and his mythology as to render the film unrelated to Robocop in any respect bar the title?

In that regard it reminds of the the 90's Roland Emmerich Godzilla.

I do think there are aspects of the original that should be kept, but I would be more so thinking of the tone of the original, the satirical nature of the movie.

For me, the design of Robocop and ED209 in the original are products of their time - they were how people saw the future then.

Robocop and ED209 in the new one look to be products of our time - how people now would imagine these would be designed and created in the near future.

If a RoboCop was designed in real life now, assuming the technology was capable, which do you think is a more likely design? Old or New?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

What annoys me is that they're using the robocop name to sell it, when really it looks like it has a lot more in common with iron man than robocop.

In the original film murphy was brutally tortured and murdered, barely anything left of his body. When they turn him into robocop he's 100% computer, until his interactions with Lewis when he slowly starts to remember bits of his old life. He finds his old house completely empty, his wife and son moved on and he never meets them.

Judging by the trailer he was injured by a car bomb so they put him into a robot suit, he's fully aware of who he is and his wife and son are still around, hanging out with their robot wife/father.

It's hardly the same character at all.

Advertisement